Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Another plus point for PN over BT is for just a fiver you can get a fixed IP something BT don't offer for home users. My speeds are same now as they were with BT.

I do find BT's router GUI better than PN's for port forwarding etc but didn't take me long to work it out. Everything is hard wired apart from mobile phones so not sure if WiFi range is better or worse .

You can use your BT HH/SH on PN.

Soldato
Thanks all. This is what I thought but the sales guys was insistant that PN was the budget version from BT. Don't plusnet do an up to 66mbps which is comparible to BTs 55/10 service? I can only get up to 50 anyway.

Soldato
Thanks all. This is what I thought but the sales guys was insistant that PN was the budget version from BT. Don't plusnet do an up to 66mbps which is comparible to BTs 55/10 service? I can only get up to 50 anyway.

Plusnet offer exactly the same top speed profile as BT as has been stated already. If you want to pay for 80/20 then you’ll get an almost identical sync to what BT offer you on the same profile. BT offer 52/10 ‘as standard’ which PN don’t.

Soldato
Just had a call from BT. Dropped price to 23.99 from £31 from £50. Still doesn't beat plusnet with cashback and reward card!

Soldato
BT offer 52/10 ‘as standard’ which PN don’t.

Plusnet do have a 52/10 as i'm using it, however it was only offered to people on a discontinued 40/20 package. They charge me the same as their basic fiber package, but personally wish they kept the 40/20 as the upload was more important to me.

Soldato
OP
Plusnet do have a 52/10 as i'm using it, however it was only offered to people on a discontinued 40/20 package. They charge me the same as their basic fiber package, but personally wish they kept the 40/20 as the upload was more important to me.

I thought PN only do 40/10? not 55/10 or has it changed now to become 55/10 by default?

Soldato
Still 40/10 and 80/20 from Plusnet (and most ISPs) AFAIK.

This 'average speed' thing they're now using makes things unnecessarily complicated. Has Ofcom ever made a decision that actually worked out to anyone's benefit?

Soldato
I thought PN only do 40/10? not 55/10 or has it changed now to become 55/10 by default?

No it was a special deal for existing customers on 40/20 only. The 40/20 was scrapped and those customers put on a 55/10, however it's not advertised on the site as they don't offer it to new customers.

Soldato
No it was a special deal for existing customers on 40/20 only. The 40/20 was scrapped and those customers put on a 55/10, however it's not advertised on the site as they don't offer it to new customers.

Strange, I don’t remember OR ever offering 40/20 as a profile, let alone PN doing so and I remember the introduction of 52/10 clearly (even posted about it at the time), PN did do 38/2 at one stage, but that’s as adventurous as I recall them ever being from the normal profile range.

Soldato
Openreach didn't offer 40/20, but Plusnet did. They were paying Openreach for 80/20 and then capping the download for the customer and charging them less. You can understand why they killed that option off.

Soldato
Openreach didn't offer 40/20, but Plusnet did. They were paying Openreach for 80/20 and then capping the download for the customer and charging them less. You can understand why they killed that option off.

That makes absolutely no sense, unless they offset it against the pittance they were saving on 38/2 vs 38/10 :D

Soldato
OP
Updated: I have spoken to Openreach via email and the good news that my cabinet 8 with g.fast will go live by next 8-12 weeks as they just awaiting to do five more cabinets in my area Cabinet 9, 7, 13, 1 and 6 but also saying FTTP is only available nuplace new houses in my area, Dawley, St.Georges and Madeley.

But the bad news is: PN will not offer g.fast service for the time being. So, I won't bother then.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Updated: I have spoken to Openreach via email and the good news that my cabinet 8 with g.fast will go live by next 8-12 weeks as they just awaiting to do five more cabinets in my area Cabinet 9, 7, 13, 1 and 6 but also saying FTTP is only available nuplace new houses in my area, Dawley, St.Georges and Madeley.

But the bad news is: PN will not offer g.fast service for the time being. So, I won't bother then.
lol, Hi Max, still obsessing about your connection then? Don't fret it. :)

Soldato
Hi Everyone,

My 18 month contract with BT should end on the 18th of this month (18 months from 18 September 17), the package is Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited.

I'm paying a horrendous amount and would like to make the switch to PN. I was going to take the Unlimited Fibre extra, I'm paying over double for what I have with BT at the moment and the £50 reward card is a nice extra.

From what I understand I can place my order through PN website and they will handle all the transfer side of things with BT which is great. My question is if I placed the order today, are they quick enough that I would hit some early contract termination charges with BT? Or am I better off waiting the 3 days until my contract with BT officially ends and placing the order then?

Back
Top Bottom