Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
I'm back upto 47Meg now.....the chap did tell me I can get FTTP now but not showing on their website with the checker. It does on BT, Talktalk, Sky (and some others) though upto 900mb. Contract is up in January so will check then.

Associate
Just moving back to plusnet, getting their Hub 2, is there any better kit I could be looking at or is the hub 2 ok?

Previously when I was with plusnet I just had their modem and that was connected through to my Netgear wifi router, which handled QOS - currently with vodafone as isp and they dont do QOS (kids constantly complaining pixelated tv (ROKU players)) and I can't seem to get my Netgear to work with their router.

Just for info I have a wired network (cat6 upstairs) phone line to my upstairs office where the router sits, Devolo Magic 2 wifi to cover the wireless downstairs.

Is there any better recommended kit out there?

Matt

Associate
I found that the hub 2 gave me constant drop out / disconnects, when it worked it was fine, it just didnt work for me on a regular basis.
It would work for a month then have drops with reducing speed, i'd arrange an engineer who wouldnt find anything, it would then stablise, only to have issues after a few weeks, this carried on for over 6 months, they sent me new routers and I had the same issue
I moved to the BT home hub and have experienced a much more stable connection, since having this router, i've only had to call out an engineer once and that was an actual cabinet issue after heavy rain, so for me stability is vastly improved.

Just moving back to plusnet, getting their Hub 2, is there any better kit I could be looking at or is the hub 2 ok?

Previously when I was with plusnet I just had their modem and that was connected through to my Netgear wifi router, which handled QOS - currently with vodafone as isp and they dont do QOS (kids constantly complaining pixelated tv (ROKU players)) and I can't seem to get my Netgear to work with their router.

Just for info I have a wired network (cat6 upstairs) phone line to my upstairs office where the router sits, Devolo Magic 2 wifi to cover the wireless downstairs.

Matt

Associate
Honestly Plusnet have been one of the worst companies I've ever had to deal with. So we've just found out that we've got the community gig fibre project greenlit for the village where I live. Plusnet still don't offer it, and my contract was up a 3rd Dec. Renewal wants to tie you in for 2 years, so decided to migrate to BT who will let me upgrade mid-contract without issue.

Migration all pencilled in for the 13th December, agreed with both Plusnet and BT. Plusnet decided to nuke my entire line the next day, no dial tone, service dead etc. - Took me speaking to the head of provisioning for them to confirm they'd screwed up. Basically said tough, can't do anything, sorry, and continued to delete all the rest of my stuff (email accounts with them etc).

So i'm left completely without telephone and broadband for two weeks in a rural area that doesnt get any mobile signal on any network.

Soldato
Can't say I'm surprised. Their customer service has been pants since I joined them about 7 years ago and, among other things, they randomly completely messed up my reverse DNS at one point which I only spotted when doing a check on my mail server. Not sure how they managed that as it had been set for about a year without issue up until that point. Clearly some monkey was let loose who didn't know what they were doing, not that they should have been messing around with the rDNS anyway. It took weeks for them to fix it and I had to make a formal complaint in the end. Wasn't the last time I had to complain about things they botched either.

My contract ends this month too and I'm off to Zen on 14th all being well. Will obviously cost me more, but I'm just fed up of **** CS.

'We'll do you proud' my a***.

Soldato
Most mainstream domestic ISPs wouldn't let you configure rDNS at all, or provide a static IP and let you run a mail server. I used to run a mail server on my Plusnet connection, O365 business makes far more sense nowadays.

Soldato
True, but they do offer that service, so the fact they completely buggered it up is not something that gives me warm fuzzy feelings. As mentioned, it's not their first ****-up (far from it) and after their mobile service also left me without a phone for 48 hours I'm just done with them.

I also have no interest in any of Microsoft's offerings. The purpose of hosting my own mail server is for me to be in control of it, not have MS spying on me like they do with Windows 10 (which I also no longer use).

nam

nam

Soldato
been with plusnet for over 10 years now , will be leaving when my contract is up next year and go to community fibre as there is no need for a landline and I will get a true fibre connection/speed. I can't see plusnet getting any cheaper the good deals 2 years ago are gone and they have no FTTP offerings yet where as others do

The router/modem I have is a TPLINK VR600 just for the wired connection and router access, For WiFi I have AP's I have the Deco M4. Works well enough for me over a 3 bedroom home

Matt

Last edited:
Soldato
As mentioned above, I left Plusnet for Zen on 14th Dec. No issues so far and my up and down speeds have both slightly improved, though I suspect that's more to do with the FRITZ!Box modem/router Zen supply (I was previously using the Openreach modem they supplied when I joined 7ish years ago). Also received a £40 Amazon voucher thanks to a trust message from another member on here (thanks!). Just waiting for a partial refund from Plusnet now and that'll be that.

Soldato
Switched from BT at the end of december to PN no problems to report but then there isn't much to go wrong standard FTTC and only 35mb/down no 5G coverage so not much else available routers ok nothing to shout about but gets the job done. Cheaper than BT.

Soldato
Anyone had their BB bill shoot up ?

Mine was £28 ish , It went up to £32 last month and now this month it's £43 :confused:

PN for me has been faultless for years other than this.

Associate
My contract is up next month... "When your contract ends your monthly price will go from £30.00 to £47.76"

but offer of "Unlimited Fibre broadband and line rental for just £26.99 a month. 18 month contract. Add Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile call plan to your package for an additional £6.53 per month. "

Think it is time to shop around, been looking at Aquiss but the phone line( which I might ditch anyway), maybe Vodafone?

Last edited:

~cw

~cw

Associate
Aquiss are excellent regarding technical support and presales queries, I'm with them for gigabit FTTP. Sadly only the Openreach-based packages so not symmetric in my area, but that's all I can get. They're a longtime Entanet reseller (now Cityfibre).

Curious, any reason to keep the line rental separate from the broadband? It may be more trouble than it's worth nowadays (as someone who previously used to split SMPF WLR voice services and FTTC to save money).

If you're moving to an FTTP service and want to keep your number, you'll need to arrange a port to someone like sipgate or voipfone before your service closes, otherwise you'll lose it permanently. Digital Voice services were suspended from sale for a good while due to jank in the rollout AIUI, so I decided to port to sipgate.

Associate
I barely use the phone but parents want it as they use the calls in the evening.
Entanet, damn I used to use Vivaciti for years before going to PN lol

I was looking at Sky 145MB (18m with phone), Aquiss 80MB (12m no phone) and Vodafone 200MB (24m with phone) and Plusnet 145MB (18m no phone)
Prices vary from £27 (PN) to £39 (VF) a month (without the BS CPI every year)
Want to keep under £30 if I can
So with no phone line what are people using, just their mobiles? Neverheard of sipgate or voipfone

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm porting my BT number to A&A and will set it up with a Cisco ATA that I have. Until I get around to setting that up I can forward calls to my mobile or use a softphone. I can't find a cheaper provider unless you're a heavy user and want call bundles rather than PAYG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom