Plymouth & Plymouth Uni help...

Nix

Nix

Soldato
VeNT said:
I hear they closed that "the long room" place (the orange one on mutly) I realy liked it there, any idea why its gone?

Nah dude. They're closing down Pilgrimage now too, I saw a poster about it in the union when I finished my shift.

Man of Honour
VeNT said:
I hear they closed that "the long room" place (the orange one on mutly) I realy liked it there, any idea why its gone?

The long room was closed because it never had permission to open in the first place... No planning permission for it being a pub (it was something entirely different before)

Cuba is and always was a horrible place IMO. Skiving scholar was good when it first opened, but that has to be five or so years ago now, no idea what it's like now.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Dolph said:
The long room was closed because it never had permission to open in the first place... No planning permission for it being a pub (it was something entirely different before)

Cuba is and always was a horrible place IMO. Skiving scholar was good when it first opened, but that has to be five or so years ago now, no idea what it's like now.

Ripped up chairs, sticky carpet and furniture, a stale smell of smoke and BO. It's just grotty.

Soldato
You'll be spending most of your time in Babbage which is nice enough and Smeaton which is pretty modern and pleasant to work in, although it can get a bit hot in certain rooms. There's plenty of resources and I've never had a problem finding a machine with the right software installed.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good. The machines up to date? The machines in my sixth form are awful stone age things that don't work most of the time. I will be using my laptop I'm guessing I'm not allowed to plug into the uni network whilst in class e.t.c.?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
They're doing up the tech building (Smeaton) atm, well at least I think they are ;)

The building work will be done by september - it's one of the newest buildings on campus (well, looks it atleast).

The university is pretty good on the most part lol. The library is pretty modern, they're expanding the student union for septemeber atm too.

They're currently building a new art building and right opposite on Drake Circus, they're doing the Drake Circus development (big shopping centre), so atm it looks like a giant building site from that side of the university lol.

Don't let this one crappy pub ruin your opinion ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The majority of lecture theatres have wireless access, there's a fair number of people (from CSN) that take laptops in with them although tbh, a lot of the time they end getting distracted by them.

Pretty much all the computer labs have wireless access too and as far as I know, you can plug into the network as long as you've got your laptop PAT tested.

The university machines are decent enough, P4 something or others, I've never found them slow at all. They're being replaced the year after next too.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
S7yl3s said:
Sounds good. The machines up to date? The machines in my sixth form are awful stone age things that don't work most of the time. I will be using my laptop I'm guessing I'm not allowed to plug into the uni network whilst in class e.t.c.?

I've only used the computer labs in Fitzroy and the library, but they're pretty well maintained :)

Have you visited the university?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
punky_munky said:
The majority of lecture theatres have wireless access, there's a fair number of people (from CSN) that take laptops in with them although tbh, a lot of the time they end getting distracted by them.

Pretty much all the computer labs have wireless access too and as far as I know, you can plug into the network as long as you've got your laptop PAT tested.

The university machines are decent enough, P4 something or others, I've never found them slow at all. They're being replaced the year after next too.

Lol, I hate it in lectures when you get some tool that doesn't dim the lights or wear a microphone so you can't hear them or read what they're talking about :p

I had a stats module this year (boring as hell), and some guy was trying to explain the chi-square test, but his accent was so thick not a single person could understand him and most people got up and walked out! lol.
I didn't bother going to the other of that guy's lectures (about 3/4 in total), there was no point.

Soldato
OP
I have once mate yeh, but it was a while ago and I can't remember too much.

I can understand people becoming distracted from their work by their laptops, but I've set a new rule to be implemented as of 01/09/06 and that is simply:

NO GAMES ALLOWED!

I should have bought a laptop that was incable of playing any games :p

Wireless access sounds like a large bonus, does this allow you onto the Uni's intranet and internet access or is it just internal?

Soldato
The worst lectures I had were from this little Chinese guy who spoke very quietly and in monotone so even you could understand him you'd be bored senseless. All he did was read the slides word for word so there was very little point attending.
S7yl3s said:
Wireless access sounds like a large bonus, does this allow you onto the Uni's intranet and internet access or is it just internal?

Full Internet access. Most ports are blocked though so no in class Counter Strike sessions ;)

Soldato
OP
I can't wait to have stories of abysmal lectures :D It sounds like a small collection of the most boring people on earth take this job lol

Nix

Nix

Soldato
S7yl3s said:
I can't wait to have stories of abysmal lectures :D It sounds like a small collection of the most boring people on earth take this job lol

Most lecturers are researchers are doctors that have to give lectures as part of their employment etc etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nix said:
They're doing up the tech building (Smeaton) atm, well at least I think they are ;)

The building work will be done by septemember - it's one of the newest buildings on campus (well, looks it atleast).

The university is pretty good on the most part lol. The library is pretty modern, they're expanding the student union for septemeber atm too.

They're currently building a new art building and right opposite on Drake Circus, they're doing the Drake Circus development (big shopping centre), so atm it looks like a giant building site from that side of the university lol.

Don't let this one crappy pub ruin your opinion ;)

Sounds like they've done a LOT since i was there back in 2001 ! As for the library, I always thought it was pretty average (it does have all the materials i need but the building itself wasn't that great). The birmingham uni/Brighton Uni one that I've visted/been to are much more modern. I know they are building a new Architecture building, is that the same as the Art building ? And 2 years ago they finished the medical departments too, which looked great.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
Sounds like they've done a LOT since i was there back in 2001 ! As for the library, I always thought it was pretty average (it does have all the materials i need but the building itself wasn't that great). The birmingham uni/Brighton Uni one that I've visted/been to are much more modern. I know they are building a new Architecture building, is that the same as the Art building ? And 2 years ago they finished the medical departments too, which looked great.

They built a giant extension to library. There's tonnes of study rooms and what not now. :D

Soldato
I never used the library in my time at university :o

Taking laptops into lectures is a complete waste of time, and just distracts you and everyone around you.

Back
Top Bottom