• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
more recently they have been suggesting single market access etc rather than cancel Brexit (which i think is the correct direction)

Timmy Farr just said as much on twitter

Single market access without the rest is bonkers but it's at least preferable to nkthing.

I would actually go out and campaign on their behalf if they did as I fancy saving my own and my children's future. Heck an alliance between them and the SNP would suit me.

Soldato
Omg someone else passing the buck.
Wtf happened to my beautiful country? Why are you breaking it?
I can see the retards queuing up for vote ukip even now.
its the exact opposite, May knows she is in a strong position and likely to come out on top and maybe better then she is now. She needs this for Brexit basically.

TJM

TJM

Associate
What kind of PM starts the 2-year Article 50 time bomb ticking then wastes 10% of the time window on an election? Such an opportunist move, putting party before country.
She wants the public to endorse her approach to Brexit before the consequences of her approach become obvious to everyone, so anyone pointing out those consequences later can be shouted down as a traitor who is frustrating the will of the masses.

Soldato
Probably a good move from their point of view. All this talk of nobody voting her in will be ended so she can give the two finger salute to that SNP argument. A small increase in parliament I would guess would reduce the effect of any backbenchers during the negotiations and she can set out a rough guide to Brexit how she she's it and have that signed off at the same time.

Anyone who thought that the Tories weren't going to be in power for the next couple of parliaments are just deluding themselves with Corbyn around - the best bet here is a decimation of Labour forcing Corbyn to stand down and then at least you have a chance of rebuilding over 5 years for the next one. Without this you will lose 2020 anyway and it'll be 2025 before you get a shot - this way potentially its 2022.

Soldato
They could have the most popular person in the world in charge, but their current Achilles' heel is that a massive proportion of their supporters want Brexit and a massive proportion don't... so they alienate a massive proportion of their normal supporter base if they choose either side.

Any last minute Hail Mary would've had them set up a strategy to pull across liberal, pro-European Tories, most of the Lib Dems and Greens, by pact or graft. But given the chance, the ideologically pure and committed chafed at the prospect. They'll pay a heavy price for it.

Man of Honour
So democracy is working then? If the general population lack confidence in labour they should have less seats. I don't think it neccessarily means more seats for the conservatives though, more likely a few here and there, with fringe parties rising up the ranks further.

That's kind of the point I think. Over 70% of labour constituencies voted leave, most of Wales voted leave, but you wouldn't think so because the mps are not voting that way. That was the key part of the speech, and it is being borne out by the polls, the country and Westminster are not in agreement, and the solution to that democratic deficit is a general election.

Soldato
The SNP could make political gain if they stand in the constituencies just over the border, but I don't think they'll risk the fallout if it was seen to be an encroachment of Scotland onto English territory.

Man of Honour
I see it as a huge sign that she is confident that the way she is leading the country is against the national interest. This confirms more to ever to me that she is an absolute snake, working only to strengthen her party and not in the interest of the nation. Kicking the opposition while they're down, it's a pathetic grab for longer in power while her party is strong. She knows that this is the calm before the storm and that the Conservatives are very likely to be far, far less popular when the next election was going to be due. It's nothing more than an attempt to shake off the pesky opposition so that she can do whatever the hell she likes for longer. Like a bully, she wouldn't even begin to be thinking about a general election if she felt weak. I hope people rally behind others, to show her and the conservatives that the people who voted for them in 2015 did so to let them finish the job of sorting out the economy post-2008, not to deliver uncertainty on a disastrous scale.

Politically the tactic is brilliant, but that and national interest almost never go together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom