Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Associate
I don't like it at all, I consider it very insiduous, but I don't think the government should ban it, the people should be able to make it socially unacceptable indeed.

Soldato
Well it is a security problem and has been up for debate for over 50 years. The problem is covering your face breaks laws and crosses to many lines.

If you walk into a bank in a crash helmet its breaking the law, If you pretend to be a Muslim woman then that's OK.

If my children want to go to school in a mask and refuse to remove it they will be sent home and I'm breaking the law. If they are Muslim girls that's OK.

Man of Honour
even though im against the reasons for the ban, do people really need a veil in the west ?

No they do not even need it in the east, but wherever there's an argument brewing you can bet minority x will stir the pot with fury. This goes for anything that attracts some form of crowd mentality and the famous bandwagon effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

Soldato
so are British women, id say force them to wear it :rolleyes:

their wear it for all sorts of reasons, most which i am not privy to but its their right.

though i prefer if they wear a hijab (not coving their face) to a veil.

should we ban halloween aswell?

or you know eating swan is forbidden but the queen is allowed, lets outlaw it all together.

Man of Honour
asian/middle eastern women are all usually mingers anyway, so i say don't ban it.

LOL! Oh wait... you were being serious?! Oh dear...

I've voted for the 2nd option. I don't think a ban is the right approach - I like the fact that this country is so open and culturally varied... but I think some form of westernisation and "do as we do" should also be taken into consideration when moving to this country.

You can still be a good practicing Muslim without a veil. I think if they were given the choice, then that's much more acceptable than being "forced" to wear it.

I can't help noticing women with veils, but at the same time I find it thoroughly inoffensive.

Caporegime
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317342/Muslim-woman-sacked-REFUSING-wear-headscarf.html

This is why we should ban the burkha in this country.

Mr Ghafoor told Miss Khan, who had nine years experience in the trade, that his wife and female relatives all wore full veils or burkas, telling her that her parents had given her 'far too much freedom

I'm sure the vast majority of the Muslim community would respect Miss Khan's decision and women who do choose to wear the burkha or headscarf do so entirely voluntarily, but while there are bullying tyrants like Mr Ghafoor in the world it must be right to protect women by outlawing such symbols of oppression in public places.

Permabanned
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317342/Muslim-woman-sacked-REFUSING-wear-headscarf.html

I'm sure the vast majority of the Muslim community would respect Miss Khan's decision and women who do choose to wear the burkha or headscarf do so entirely voluntarily, but while there are bullying tyrants like Mr Ghafoor in the world it must be right to protect women by outlawing such symbols of oppression in public places.

No, the law should simply legislate against oppression and cruelty. It need not ban the wearing of any item of clothing.

If I were to force my wife to wear a bobblehat everywhere should I be punished for mental cruelty or should we ban bobblehats.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Holy hypocrisy batman!!!!

Protect people from oppression by oppressing them! Absolutely brilliant... I can even believe you typed the above with an entirely straight face.

Soldato
I don't like it at all, I consider it very insiduous, but I don't think the government should ban it, the people should be able to make it socially unacceptable indeed.

How would one do this?
Nothing can be made socially unacceptable in the UK without a law to back it, as our discrimination laws are now so overpowered that making something socially unacceptable would be classed as racism, bullying or some other 'evil' action.

Personally I think the UK no longer has any identity, claiming to be a multicultural society is one thing, when really there exists a random mix of highly dense pockets of different cultures. It is a completely different situation to a multicultural society.
The years spent raping the colonies are now being repaid by having to fund mass immigration of 'aunties' 'uncles' 'grandparents' and associated family groups to be supported on benefits and through taxes whilst they provide nothing to the society and don't even speak its language.

I have absolutely no idea how you start to fix such a mess. Banning a veil won't start fixing that, it might make some sort of statement in that direction.

The % of the vote in this thread interests me greatly, I'd love to know in a free vote how it would be reflected across the country, would 2/3rds of the country be in favour of such a ban, and if so, why isn't it being debated and introduced.

Permabanned
How would one do this?
Nothing can be made socially unacceptable in the UK without a law to back it, as our discrimination laws are now so overpowered that making something socially unacceptable would be classed as racism, bullying or some other 'evil' action.

Personally I think the UK no longer has any identity, claiming to be a multicultural society is one thing, when really there exists a random mix of highly dense pockets of different cultures. It is a completely different situation to a multicultural society.
The years spent raping the colonies are now being repaid by having to fund mass immigration of 'aunties' 'uncles' 'grandparents' and associated family groups to be supported on benefits and through taxes whilst they provide nothing to the society and don't even speak its language.

I have absolutely no idea how you start to fix such a mess. Banning a veil won't start fixing that, it might make some sort of statement in that direction.

The % of the vote in this thread interests me greatly, I'd love to know in a free vote how it would be reflected across the country, would 2/3rds of the country be in favour of such a ban, and if so, why isn't it being debated and introduced.

Just because a majority may want a thing, doesn't make it right.

Back
Top Bottom