Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Associate
i think they should ban it in all places of trading but i allso think they should ban the Turban as hats are not allowed in a lot of places but they allow the Turban.

Associate
i have to kind of agree with that, turbans are ok with me, so are veils which dont cover the face

anything that covers the face, or even obstructs the view of the face should be banned out of a security hazard or respect. gone have the days when people used to take their hats off to say hi etc. we dont live in the same kind of world anymore

Caporegime
i have to kind of agree with that, turbans are ok with me, so are veils which dont cover the face

anything that covers the face, or even obstructs the view of the face should be banned out of a security hazard or respect. gone have the days when people used to take their hats off to say hi etc. we dont live in the same kind of world anymore

So scarf's too?

or even obstructs the view of the face

And aviators?

Caporegime
if you go into a bank/post office, staff do ask for scarfs to be pulled down so they dont cover the face. people who wear a scarf to obscure most the face can usually be seen on crimewatch robbing a local shop so yes

And as has been proven a hundred times in this thread the same is done with the veil.

But you said you want to ban them outright not just in shops.

What you've just asked for in this post is already law and so you don't need to ban them.

Associate
problem is there are so many people who wear veils who will refuse to take them down in shops because they'll start moaning its for their religion and make a big scene out of it. so even if they do ask, it doesnt mean it will be removed.

but like ive said in previous posts i would ban them in public as its degrading to the women who wear them and i personally feel threatened by them. you dont know who or what is underneath

Caporegime
problem is there are so many people who wear veils who will refuse to take them down in shops because they'll start moaning its for their religion and make a big scene out of it. so even if they do ask, it doesnt mean it will be removed.

Then you would be well within your rights to tell them to leave just like you would with a helmet or balaclava.

also

problem is there are so many people who wear veils who will refuse to take them down in shops because they'll start moaning its for their religion

Can you back that up with anything but your own unsupported opinion?

but like ive said in previous posts i would ban them in public as its degrading to the women who wear them

So why argue a non existing security issue?

But don't you think it's degrading to women to say "no dear your to simple to make your own choice about what you wear, you'll only degrade yourself if you do. Let me choose for you" ?

and i personally feel threatened by them. you dont know who or what is underneath

You know that men and women walk very differently.

Hell they're even making software where cctv cameras can tell every individual apart by their unique walk let alone the massive differences in male and female patterns.

Associate
under the black gowns and veils could be padding, anything to make the wearer look different and if they are developing CCTV cameras to identify more, they obviously really there are security risks posed by instances like this.

as for backing up my point about people refusing, I'm only going off things I've heard on the news where muslim wearing the burka veil have moaned on tv interviews about being asked to remove them.

Associate
I just don't like the implications of banning them. Where does it then stop. Once we have accepted the Government stepping in and dictating what one group of people are allowed to wear what right would we then have if they decided to do the same thing to another group.

Against the law to wear a hoodie?
T-Shirts with offensive slogans
Clothes with drug related symbols
Hats
Scarfs
Revealing clothing

etc etc

It is just a step in the wrong direction.

Caporegime
under the black gowns and veils could be padding, anything to make the wearer look different and if they are developing CCTV cameras to identify more, they obviously really there are security risks posed by instances like this.

No it's just a slow resolution camera behind a person could identify them more easily by their walk than by using a more expensive camera facing their face.

But again a fat suit ain't really going to be much of a security issue, weird yes but you can wear fat suits under normal cloths too.

as for backing up my point about people refusing, I'm only going off things I've heard on the news where muslim wearing the burka veil have moaned on tv interviews about being asked to remove them.

So a percentage so tiny to be completely immaterial?

By the logic that what a few people say on telly is the mass view then all Christians think god hates fags and protest at soldiers funerals.

But that still doesn't change the fact they legally have no recourse against the shop for asking them to leave.

Malakite said:
Revealing clothing

interesting point, considering half the people supporting a ban have mentioned things like "Christian heritage" of Britain, I'm pretty sure a large number of Christians would think that mini skirts and boob tubes are degrading to women and should be banned.

Would everyone saying the ban is to stop the degradation of women support a ban on Revealing clothing?

Last edited:
Man of Honour

So do you mean that anything which disguises a body shape or covers the face at all should be banned then?

If it's really a security issue then a few people moaning is close to being the least of the worries about it. Or to put it another way if you're put off by people being unhappy with your actions then security is probably not a good career for you.

Soldato
TBH I'm fairly sure England & then The United Kingdom abandoned Sumptuary Laws in the 17th Century for being both unfair and mostly unenforcable. I see no reason why we should go back 350 years because of knee jerk public opinion.

It's funny that there appear to be quite a lot of people in this thread who are happy to have the government dictate lifestyle choices to groups they have no affiliation with but I would imagine would be up in arms if they were subject to a similar Westminster dictat themselves.

Associate
I think it should be banned if it serves to hide a persons identity entirely, people dont consider a balaclava acceptable wear in public, they consider it down right threatening

I think its rude to speak to people but not be prepared to show your face, being able to see the face of the person talking to you is important, it allows you to read their expression as they speak and either gain trust in what they are saying or allow you to see if they may be lying. It is also open to a lot of misuse in other ways, since people can pose as others

I dont think id have an issue if islamic women wanted to wear a darkened veil of sorts that perhaps allowed them to hide their appearence in general but was still transparent enough that you can see their face when having a face to face conversation

Back
Top Bottom