Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Essentially we have one party that loves the people but hates the economy - a party that has provided a manifesto containing huge costing black holes. The other party loves the economy but hates the people - and whose entire manifesto is based upon them providing a stronger economy, but in the meantime the state needs to be gutted.

Is that about it?

My concern about Labour is that, whilst their intentions are generally honest, they're kicking the can down the road and the next generation will be responsible for propping up a country heavily burdened by debt and an ageing population attempting to support itself on an unsettled fiscal landscape. Imagine the cost of raising funds through issuing government bonds if our credit rating gets further downgraded should our economy continue to weaken. If Corbyn was backed and supported by an excellent team then that would win me over, but I regard John McDonnell as the most dangerous man in that party - a vitriolic zealot that hates wealth and seemingly jumps around in the background with veins popping from his face and eyes bulging screaming "TAX THE RICH! ******* TAX THEM!" when in all likelihood Labour will have to end up taxing everyone once they fail to raise the necessary tax receipts from the top 5%.

My concern about the Tories is that May has shown zero leadership qualities - not showing up to debate the "most important election in her lifetime", U-turning so frequently that I'm surprised she knows which way she's facing. She's quite literally taking the food out of children's mouths, and is setting about ringing out the NHS. Her lack of backbone when responding to Trump issues gives the impression of us becoming the little lapdog for an increasingly internationally unpopular USA. Also, her stance on immigration is basically going to screw over the entire country and leave us a sad, deflated balloon bobbing along at the bottom of international relevance and competitiveness.

:(

Caporegime
The polls are basically rubbish though as they are effectively "pricing" in peoples tendencies based on past form. This time next week we will all be saluting chairman May

Of course we will, I have absolutely no doubt that she will win but when she announced the GE I honestly thought she would have a 100 to 150 seat majority, the biggest perhaps ever seen in our history.

Soldato
The polls are basically rubbish though as they are effectively "pricing" in peoples tendencies based on past form. This time next week we will all be saluting chairman May
That 'pricing in' is them adding a discount to he opinions of younger voters, as they are less likely to actually go to the polls. They all will (should) also be adjusting for the 'shy Tory' vote.

They aren't super-reliable, obviously, but they certainly reflect the way the tide is moving.

Soldato
Wow what a change to the poll over the last one!

I will be voting Labour - I wasn't initially enthusiastic about this election, however the tide really has turned since the announcement! What ever happens next week, is going to be interesting!

Soldato
Why are we getting hyped up on polls? From the 2015 election, Brexit and POTUS none of them were accurate in the lead up to the ballot box. Have they changed how they collect data now?

Soldato
What an idiotic thing to say.

yep it really is idiotic, but no more so than the circus that May is trying to run, so what difference does it make. She'll win, quit the EU with nothing, get into bed with Trump and take us into a load of illegal wars with him, sell our NHS to the highest US bidder and so the end result will be the same............. idiotic

Caporegime
My concern about Labour is that, whilst their intentions are generally honest, they're kicking the can down the road and the next generation will be responsible for propping up a country heavily burdened by debt and an ageing population attempting to support itself on an unsettled fiscal landscape. Imagine the cost of raising funds through issuing government bonds if our credit rating gets further downgraded should our economy continue to weaken.

Problem is reversing that if/when the public inevitably put back a Tory government... we've seen what happens when you need to cut a deficit after labour steadily builds one then a financial crisis hits, we've already got rather a large amount of debt as it is... yet if they pile on more and the cost of servicing that debt increases (not to mention parts of the economy get trashed by people and firms moving abroad or chunks of the finance industry being killed off by a financial transaction tax) then the potential cuts are going to be even worse to correct it

Caporegime
Why are we getting hyped up on polls? From the 2015 election, Brexit and POTUS none of them were accurate in the lead up to the ballot box. Have they changed how they collect data now?

not much AFAIK

though to be fair those didn't take too much of a change for the result to change - Hillary still won the popular vote and Brexit was won by a couple of percent. In this instance there is a massive change in the polls regardless of the potential percent or two error.

Well I guess they'd have some serious explaining to do if say May won by her original 20 point margin or if say Corbyn ends up with a 10 point lead etc..

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/views_from_an_average_town

Interesting that the average house price is £182,700 and the average annual salary is £22,503.

How does that work? :confused:

Scrolling through that list, there isn't one positive comment that I can recall. The Tories have been in power for 7 years now, so surely it's a no-brainer that they have had their chance? How long should the electorate feasibly give them to sort the country out? They began their first term by blaming Labour for everything from immigration numbers to the global financial crisis, but surely there's a limit to the period of time that can pass before you start say, "You know what, you've had your time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom