Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it mean? Am I affected by it daily?

Are you seriously asking if human rights laws affect you?

•Article 2 Right to life
•Article 3 Freedom from torture and inhuman or degrading treatment
•Article 4 Freedom from slavery and forced labour
•Article 5 Right to liberty and security
•Article 6 Right to a fair trial
•Article 7 No punishment without law
•Article 8 Respect for your private and family life, home and correspondence
•Article 9 Freedom of thought, belief and religion
•Article 10 Freedom of expression
•Article 11 Freedom of assembly and association
•Article 12 Right to marry and start a family
•Article 14 Protection from discrimination in respect of these rights and freedoms
•Protocol 1, Article 1 Right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
•Protocol 1, Article 2 Right to education
•Protocol 1, Article 3 Right to participate in free elections
•Protocol 13, Article 1 Abolition of the death penalty

What does it mean? Am I affected by it daily?
Are you affected by the human rights act daily? Of course you are.

What rights does the Human Rights Act protect?

• The right to life: protects your life, by law. The State is required to investigate suspicious deaths and deaths in custody.
  • The prohibition of torture and inhuman treatment: you should never be tortured or treated in an inhuman or degrading way, no matter what the situation.
  • Protection against slavery and forced labour: you should not be treated like a slave or subjected to forced labour.
  • The right to liberty and freedom: you have the right to be free and the State can only imprison you with very good reason – for example, if you are convicted of a crime.
  • The right to a fair trial and no punishment without law: you are innocent until proven guilty. If accused of a crime, you have the right to hear the evidence against you in a court of law.
  • Respect for privacy and family life and the right to marry: protects against unnecessary surveillance or intrusion into your life. You have the right to marry and enjoy family relationships.
  • Freedom of thought, religion and belief: you can believe what you like and practise your religion or beliefs.
  • Free speech and peaceful protest: you have a right to speak freely and join with others peacefully, to express your views.
  • No discrimination: everyone’s rights are equal. You should not be treated unfairly – because, for example, of your gender, race, sexuality, religion or age.
  • Protection of property: protects against state interference with your possessions.
  • The right to an education: means that no child can be denied an education.
  • The right to free elections: elections must be free and fair.

I've just watched the first two episodes of the new Twin Peaks series and am going to assume that my head is effected and I've just misunderstood about the whole HRA stuff.

Are you seriously asking if human rights laws affect you?

•Article 2 Right to life
•Article 3 Freedom from torture and inhuman or degrading treatment
•Article 4 Freedom from slavery and forced labour
•Article 5 Right to liberty and security
•Article 6 Right to a fair trial
•Article 7 No punishment without law
•Article 8 Respect for your private and family life, home and correspondence
•Article 9 Freedom of thought, belief and religion
•Article 10 Freedom of expression
•Article 11 Freedom of assembly and association
•Article 12 Right to marry and start a family
•Article 14 Protection from discrimination in respect of these rights and freedoms
•Protocol 1, Article 1 Right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
•Protocol 1, Article 2 Right to education
•Protocol 1, Article 3 Right to participate in free elections
•Protocol 13, Article 1 Abolition of the death penalty

looks like a hit list off stuff chairman May et. al. are against and want to abolish. How dare people have rights................

Think it is the first time i have seen Labour winning on this forum, thought we was very Conservative on here.

Im not a fan of Corbyn or May but i think Labour will just **** the UK up even more, therefor i can only vote Conservative.

She can leave the ECHR though can't she? She would be mad to do that but you never can tell with her

This is extremely pleasing to me, but I somehow doubt it will be as pleasing to you, so deep breath and :

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-terrorism-human-rights_uk_5936ec0be4b0099e7fafd14d

"Theresa May is vowing to tear up human rights laws that stand in the way of her fight against terrorism.

In a speech this evening, the Prime Minister called for greater powers to restrict the movement of terror suspects - even if authorities are unable to convince a judge the measure is needed.

May also called for longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences and promised to make it easier to deport foreign terrorists back to their home countries.

It has been suggested the Tory leader may need to pull out of aspects of the European Convention on Human Rights to push through the changes."

She's talking about derogations, legal opt outs of certain aspects. Thankfully I very much doubt she would get actual revoking of the HRA or the withdrawal from HCHR past the Lords.

Yes but lets be honest Chris you believe everything the Mail tells you, so its not surprising you would give up the very rights our forebears fought 2 world wars to protect.
If your forebears could see what people with mindset like yours did to their country they would give you no rights. Can you at least understand what she (May) was talking about? About making it harder for hate preachers and terrorists to **** with your legal system and get them out of the country or put them behind bars. I swear if Labour wins this country is screwed for good.

May is preaching to her base. Human rights legislation wasn't drafted up one night in a pub, to even get to the point where you're framing tearing it up as some sort of vote winning popular move because in some minor edge cases it appears at a cursory glance to be counter productive should really cause people to worry how we got to that point.

Her failings as home secretary are coming to bite us in the ass, and now she wants to revoke our rights in order to cover herself.

No thanks love. Can shove it along with your snoopers charter.

Like we are going to be living in a giant prison soon. Brexit magnifies it.

Really dislike the direction she's taking the country in. Could be damaging for generations to come.

Dare I say it, I wish Cameron was still around.

If your forebears could see what people with mindset like yours did to their country they would give you no rights. Can you at least understand what she (May) was talking about? About making it harder for hate preachers and terrorists to **** with your legal system and get them out of the country or put them behind bars. I swear if Labour wins this country is screwed for good.

Her long-running campaign against Human Rights has been about making life harder for suspected terrorists by removing the need for evidence, due process or judicial oversight, placing all of the power behind the Secretary of State. In effect, it makes the Secretary of State the Judge, Jury, and Executioner.

As with the death penalty, for many the opposition to this idea isn't so much about the rights of the guilty. It's about the rights of the wrongly convicted (or, if we're bypassing the judicial system, should that be "wrongly accused"?). How many people wound up in Guantanamo, only to be later proven innocent? When you remove judicial oversight and the need for conclusive evidence, you increase the chances of convicting the innocent.

And frankly, if you think the people who founded the UN, wrote the Geneva Convention, and created the Universal Deceleration of Human Rights, all during the aftermath of a second World War, would be disappointed to see such measures being opposed, then you are utterly deluded. Millions died and still people saw the value of treating people fairly, even when it might have been more convenient at times to not do so.

Last edited:
Human Rights is a subject just like EU membership. Its biggest vulnerability is the misguided and fragile feelings about the subject held by the readership of the Daily Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom