Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended
No, they are maintaining the current rule for residential care where you are required to pay if assets, including property, are more than £23k, and would require the sale of the home immediately.

3/4 of people using social care have carers in their own home. These people do not have to fund care by selling their homes.

Only ridiculously expensive 'residential' care (1/4 of people) have their homes taken in to consideration, and that is because residential care homes charge £1000+ a week.

Conservatives want everybodys homes to pay for social care, whether it's residential or in-home.

Soldato
The moment the Labour manifesto came out I was telling friends and family, watch this space, the predicted landslide will not happen. I'm more confident than ever that the plan for the election by May to concentrate it around the Brexit negotiations was very short sighted.

I don't think the average person is that focused on the Brexit negotiations. The election has turned into a standard one and the Tories have played a weak hand compared to the goodies promised by Labour.

Voting Conservative but I don't feel very confident anymore. Like Brexit there seems to be a huge amount of chatter on social media and it feels very much like the same situation again.

Hopefully Corybn actually wants the job if he gets it...

Soldato
I'm even prepared to pay more corporation tax, unlike that selfish guy yesterday who wanted to shaft his staff on zero hours contracts and was whinging that he would have to pay VAT on private school fees. #FirstWorldProblems.

Easy to say when you know Labour wont win... which sums up the whole Labour campaign...

Suspended
Voting Conservative but I don't feel as very confident anymore. Like Brexit there seems to be a huge amount of chatter on social media and it feels very much like the same situation again.

Genuine question - What parts of their manifesto are making you want to vote Conservative? Or what is your main reason?

Soldato
Unbelievable.... lol

Jeremy Corbyn stumbled over the cost of his party's plan to offer free childcare to two-year-olds during an interview for BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.

"It will cost... it will obviously cost a lot to do so we accept that," he said, when quizzed by Emma Barnett about plans to give free childcare to 1.3m youngsters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/electi...umbles-over-childcare-figures-on-woman-s-hour

Soldato
Voting Conservative but I don't feel very confident anymore. Like Brexit there seems to be a huge amount of chatter on social media and it feels very much like the same situation again.

There might be a lot of chatter on social media but the Conservatives do very well at precisely-targeted (almost hidden) adverts on Facebook. For example, a leading Corbyn/IRA smear video has been viewed 3.6 million times.

I still think it'll be a landslide victory for the Conservatives.

Soldato
Pretty unlikely now.

When you slash millions off police budgets and fire 20,000 officers, then Jeremy Corbyn tells you to your face in the house of commons that you're making a mistake and that your actions will endanger the security of the country, and you laugh at him, and then you campaign for an election on the basis of strength/security/stability, and then a known terrorist manages to blow up dozens of children entirely because of your in incompetence. It tends to leave a mark.

Soldato
Genuine question - What parts of their manifesto are making you want to vote Conservative? Or what is your main reason?

Brexit negotiations. I believe Labour will be far more lax on Immigration, and open border policy. More importantly on immigration from outside the EU going forward. I'm not convinced that the numbers will add up and I find their policy very broad brushstroke rather than targeted.

Caporegime
There might be a lot of chatter on social media but the Conservatives do very well at precisely-targeted (almost hidden) adverts on Facebook. For example, a leading Corbyn/IRA smear video has been viewed 3.6 million times.

hardly much of a 'smear' when it simply contains clips of him making various statements... he did after all say all of those things on camera

Man of Honour
3/4 of people using social care have carers in their own home. These people do not have to fund care by selling their homes.

Only ridiculously expensive 'residential' care (1/4 of people) have their homes taken in to consideration, and that is because residential care homes charge £1000+ a week.

Conservatives want everybodys homes to pay for social care, whether it's residential or in-home.

Is property wealth different from other kinds of wealth?

Caporegime
Playing devils advocate here:

1: May was a supporter of Bin Laden in the 80's and called for Nelson Mandela to be executed. Due to the way causes perspectives change it's pretty impossible to find any long term politician who has never been on friendly terms with an undesirable.

2: What do you dislike about his unwillingness to spend billions on upgrading our nuclear weapons system just so we can last an extra five minutes in a war with the USA? Because thats what the Trident upgrade is. There is no point upgrading our system if none of our would be enemies are upgrading their inferior systems and have no indication of doing so anytime soon.

3: He said he wouldn't press the button himself but wouldn't stop the next in line from doing so, now admittedly that is passing the buck, but as it doesn't really affect our nuclear deterrent it's not exactly a deal breaker for me.

1. Corbyn thought killing Bin Laden 'was a travesty'. He can spin it any way he likes now, probably says something like he wish he'd have been sent to prison or something.

2. War with the USA? What? Keeping/upgrading Trident isn't just about having the capability to use nuclear weapons. I would imagine being a nuclear armed country makes us a pretty big player on the UN security council. My issue with Corbyn's stance isn't that he doesn't want to upgrade it, it's that he doesn't believe in it full stop.

3. So he doesn't have the backbone to make the decision himself. Great.

Last edited:
Caporegime

no one has to sell their homes - that doesn't happen until after death

as you've pointed out non-residential care is cheaper anyway... why exactly do you think that property as an asset should be exempt vs say cash or investments?

edit - added missing word 'non' to residential care...

Last edited:
Soldato
"The Labour Party will put an extra £8 billion into the social care system over the course of the next Parliament. We will create a National Care Service. We will put a maximum limit on lifetime personal contributions to care costs, raise the threshold below which people are entitled to state support and provide free end of life care."

Labour keep using that word "free".

Soldato
All of this is why getting a good whole of life insurance policy at an early age is important.

If I end up needing care and the house has to be used, the kids still get a good lump sum when I die. I see it as more of a savings policy for them. Also free of tax when put in trust. If taken out at an early enough age then it need not cost the earth either.

This is not sound advice at all. These are horribly expensive products that generally neither adequately satisfy the savings element nor the insurance element. They're essentially an open-ended endowment with regular reviewable cost of life cover that becomes prohibitively expensive in later years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom