Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wouldn't those children still be entitled to Free School Meals? The Conservative policy isn't getting rid of them just the ones that all infants get regardless of their parents ability to pay.

Lunch, sure. Assuming they ever made it to school.

Again, you're picking out tiny percentages.

I'm really not, nobody of sound mind would let their children starve if they had the means to stop that from happening.

Soldato
I would have thought free school meals would be quite a popular idea here. Unlike child benefit, it ensures the kids get at least one decent meal a day, with no risk of the parents spending the money on fags. Plus, it's a benefit that's applied to everyone (instead of just the poor), ensuring it's fair.

Soldato
I would pick you up on one point here. The trotted line is that big companies will disappear if taxes are upped. Whilst I'm not particularly a fan of corporation tax as a revenue measure increased rates to a limited extent are not going to suddenly make huge multi nationals disappear from the country.

Oh we have to pay 1 or 2% extra let's pull out of a multi million/billion pound market in revenge. I know the companies peddle this threat regularly but if an increase is relatively sensible and incremental businesses will get on with it.

Oh no I'm not saying they will. But upping corporation tax doesn't meanincreased tax revenue. That was more my point.

Caporegime
Who was in power when the privatisation began?

Labour or Tory Light as it was. I never disagree it was Labour who started it but Tory want to run with it and go the whole hog. Hunt and senior NHS people going on trip after trip to meet the biggest health care provider in the states in NY is not just a social visit. And May refuses to say the NHS is off the cards in a trade deal with the USA which we will need if we go full hard brexit.

Caporegime
There's a case to be had for certain privatisation though, for example, minor surgery recovery, people recovering from a broken wrist shouldn't be taking up a bed which could be better served to someone with cancer.

As soon as someone mentions privatisation though, people go barmy..

some is probably fine, agreed. 1% more year on year and rising isnt just some though is it?

Soldato
Whats the labour position on the conservatives snoopers charter? Have they made any pledges to remove it or are they likely to scale it back?

They aren't mentioning it because they are just as bad. It's the main reason I have voted for the Lib Dems. Labour haven't come out and said they are against it.

Caporegime
I would have thought free school meals would be quite a popular idea here. Unlike child benefit, it ensures the kids get at least one decent meal a day, with no risk of the parents spending the money on fags. Plus, it's a benefit that's applied to everyone (instead of just the poor), ensuring it's fair.

they are replacing the fully funded lunch with a 7p breakfast and you think thats a good idea?

Soldato
So nothing is changing for them.

I'm not entirely sure you understand what the policy change actually entails?

It wouldn't change anything, it wouldn't improve anything either. However I found the argument against taxes/government spending because the children of some damn lazy parents might get some food is pretty abhorrent. Maybe that's just me.

Soldato
Well it might be better than having an economy like Greece? Still cant beleive real wage growth in the UK is worsened only by Greece atm in Europe.

The UK is a weird case though really. The cost of living is being driven up by a weak pound, following the Brexit vote. 17% of the working population work in the public sector, which has seen a dramatic fall in real-terms wages over the past few years. The living wage is delivering a real-terms increase to low-paid workers, largely at the expense of low-middle earners.

My point being, the problem is largely self-made, and the effects are being felt rather unevenly. If you work in the public sector, or take home a low salary, you're currently being screwed over.

I work as a Team Leader in a supermarket. The NLW means I now get paid about as much as a recently qualified nurse. The main difference? My pay is rising at 4.5% per annum as I earn a premium over the company's base rate (itself just above the NLW).

Last edited:
Soldato
Because it is a minor issue in the scheme of things, it would need a real nerd to have it as the only reason to vote one way or the other.

Except it's really not a minor issue. It's censorship and a restriction of freedom of speech at best. You really like that your isp will log a years worth of your traffic for browsing by pretty much any minor Gov dept? Because isp are really good at handling customer data *cough* Talktalk *cough*

It also shows a major lack of knowledge around the Internet. In this age of cyber attacks do you really want the equivalent of an oap reading "The internet for dummies" deciding tech policy?

It might be okay saying you're safe using a VPN, wait until they decide that is also behaviour of suspicious people wanting to hide their illegal activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom