Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Like has already been said, if you're going to have a death tax shouldn't it be a % of your estate, rather than having fixed costs to all?

The figure of 15% was used earlier, which sounds reasonable.

The trouble is, the way the Tories are seeking to implement this, it could be a >50% tax on people with a £230k house (ie average). And there is talk of care providers seeing this as an opportunity to increase care costs, too.

Lastly, it's sad that social care is just another profit-making industry now :/ In your final days you will be "looked after" as cheaply as possible, for the greatest possible financial reward for shareholders.

There are so many things wrong with this country. Basic necessities such as housing are a profit-making vehicle for the well-off. Social care is a profit-making exercise for private firms. How long before the NHS follows suit in its entirety.

Not only do Labour need to scrap the Tory plans, but they need to reverse this country's ultra-capitalist direction. We should not all have $$$ floating above our heads and be of no other value in the eyes of the government.

I'm not sure how the Scandinavian countries, and other European countries, manage to be socially responsible and pay for it all. Yet we in this country seem to be constantly telling the electorate that there "is no money for social care", is no money for this, that, the other.

And yet we're the 6th biggest economy in the world? What that tells me is that we're failing to curb the excesses of wealth and greed, and that our society is run only for the benefit of the few.

I guess that turned into a rant. Sorry.

No need to apologise, it is the next best thing IMO, but it needs to be directed away from general taxation and ever bigger government.

As a 65 year old, this is probably quite important for me to consider. I would quite like to think of my future care as being something not bargain basement. I do not believe that 20 -30 somethings should pay for this care when they obviously have families and homes and busy lives to consider.

Soldato
I've already voted. Ended up voting Labour as my seat is currently a Labour seat that I didn't want to fall to the Conservatives. Wish we had a system where I could actually vote for the Lib Dems with no negative consequences though.

Southampton Test - same as me :D
Our lib dem for test is a 2nd year uni student with a pony tail :(
I wont be voting for them this time

Suspended
No need to apologise, it is the next best thing IMO, but it needs to be directed away from general taxation and ever bigger government.

As a 65 year old, this is probably quite important for me to consider. I would quite like to think of my future care as being something not bargain basement. I do not believe that 20 -30 somethings should pay for this care when they obviously have families and homes and busy lives to consider.

Wouldn't a simple solution to call it a social care tax at the point of death and fund all social care (and nothing else) out of that fund?

Then it's separated from general taxation.

Soldato
Do you think that's how the EU will be treating negotiations? People are honestly delusional, Corbyn is a wet paper bag and the entire country will get screwed over with him in charge. Cameron wasn't as weak as him and look at the "deal" he came away with before the referendum.

I thought you Brexiters were saying that a UK/EU deal was more important for the EU than it is for us?

Caporegime
In a world of alternative facts why does it matter if we perpetuate myths?
The UK nuclear deterrent is fully privatised, isn't it, and is maintained/run by a consorteum of mostly US-owned companies.

The MoD does not operate its own nuclear deterrent. Was amazed when I read that. All the R&D, maintenance, day-to-day operations... all run by private, US-owned firms.

Lovely :)

Soldato
Wouldn't a simple solution to call it a social care tax at the point of death and fund all social care (and nothing else) out of that fund?

Then it's separated from general taxation.

Provide tapered relief dependant on the size of the estate.
Provide good not minimal services.
Ring fence it as you have suggested.

That would be the start of a policy I would like to see further developed. However no one is biting the bullet at the moment.

Suspended
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40105324

Taking questions during a campaign visit in Bath, Mrs May said Mr Corbyn "seems to be paying far more attention to how many appearances on telly he's doing, and he ought to be paying a little more attention to thinking about Brexit negotiations".

Weird thing to say. Is she suggesting he will win and be in charge of the negotiations then?

Soldato
Do you think that's how the EU will be treating negotiations? People are honestly delusional, Corbyn is a wet paper bag and the entire country will get screwed over with him in charge. Cameron wasn't as weak as him and look at the "deal" he came away with before the referendum.

Negotiation is just that, negotiation.

Listen to the amount of current and ex diplomats who have spoken on May, hell I can even see it having dealt with negotiations with a blue collar workforce.

Walking into a room and declaring "**** you I'm getting everything I want" and flipping out at the first sign that isn't the case is not a way to get anything beyond **** all. Why we're the unions smashed back in the day? Because they would not compromise. Why was Cameron laughed out of Brussels? Because he would not compromise. Both the above as well grandstanded about how tough they were which also doesn't help.

Maybot has all the subtlety of an elephant in a china plate factory and as much as that may make you feel all alpha and get your rock on over how tough you are all you end up achieving is the derision of those you are facing and at the same time harden their resolve to equally give nothing back.

You equate being a "wet paper bag" with someone who is willing to listen, concede a few points if necessary to reach an accord that suits all parties and you are horrifically naive if you think it will work any other way.

The correct way to negotiate is to establish your few deadlines, set these out along with your opposition who will set out their own and then you work on a deal that can work around those "immovable" and built a mutually beneficial deal to both parties.

This is not hoping, the above is factual and how negotiations have worked throughout history and if you think the world will suddenly spin another way because we thump our chest and scream "rule Britannia" you have a lot to learn about life.

Soldato
Of course you wouldn't have said similar if May had suddenly agreed to appear? Would that have been a Strong and Stable decision?
Nope, I would have questioned her motivation for doing that just the same.

I'm just not buying into this sudden cult of Corbyn, he's been in the political wilderness for decades and is disliked by his own party, it's only now that Labour have got Blairs spin doctors back in people are lapping up the sound bites and think he's my mate who only wants the best for me.

Suspended
Have you not noticed? "Getting round the negotiating table" is Corbyn's soundbite to almost every problem; Brexit - get round the negotiating table with European leaders, Islamic State - get round the negotiating table with them, Israel/Palestine - get them both round the negotiating table.

Not sure that's such a bad thing where possible.

Suspended

That's the third hit

The second is:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-jeremy-corbyn-owen-smith-victoria-derbyshire

• Labour leadership challenger Owen Smith caused controversy after saying the UK government would have to negotiate with Islamic State to end the conflict in the Middle East. He made the comments during a head-to-head BBC debate with Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Corbyn, who has often been accused of being too willing to negotiate with terrorists, said Isis should not be allowed to take part in talks. His team described Smith’s remarks as “hasty and ill-considered”.

Man of Honour
Southampton Test - same as me :D
Our lib dem for test is a 2nd year uni student with a pony tail :(
I wont be voting for them this time

He's final year don't you know ;)

Yeah, it's a poor show from the LibDems which is a shame. I don't like Corbyn, but I also think we need some sort of opposition. The choice is sweetened by Alan Whitehead being a Labour rebel though.

It's interesting how apparently we value democracy, but my views are lost in the system. I don't support Labour, I just oppose the Conservatives and can't express my true position.

Caporegime
C) The USA control our nukes anyway don't they?

The USA controls their nukes including those they store in and have arrangements to lend to other NATO countries including us and even Turkey!

Though in addition to those US nukes we also have our own independent nuclear deterrent in the form of Trident. The US does not control 'our' nukes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom