• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah but you missed the point, graphics cards are too expensive now, even the 10 series. i posted a more reasonable price for what i would be willing to pay, prices that closely match those when i bought my 2011 and 2008 and 2004 and 2000 pcs, yet in the last few years they have shot up and are at ridiculous prices.
So you won't be buying then, pure and simple. As said above, if enough don't buy then the prices come down. if supply/demand is in NV's favour, prices won't.
In 2000, a GPU was good for a year at best due to the HW being way behind the SW. This is not the case today. Prices today are not comparable for this reason and many others :). We don't know the business as well as AMD and NV do. I remember having a 670 and was not impressed with it at all (for £300) but the 1070 Ti (£419) I rate highly. If I ran NV or AMD I'd be maximising profit too, wouldn't we all?

8pack or someone mentioned how well the TXP's sold. High prices are sustainable it seems. That's not NV ripping people off, people are buying £1k GPU's because they want to. It's a luxury item but obviously for many they're willing to spend more money on their gaming hobby.

Last edited:
I've been following the Nvidia news stories for a while now, and for those who don't know Nvidia have been widely tipped as a rising star by NY stockbrokers, Huang obviously has to keep his shareholders happy, and his company now has a couple of serious issues. Mining which forced up the cost of cards and created extra demand has now fallen to zero - acknowledged by Nvidia's CEO. The other issue is the AI self driving side of the business which has taken a couple of hits with the Uber self drive crash, and Tesla pulling out, again affecting immediate revenues.

The result of all this hype speak for themselves:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/nvidia-stock-price-sinks-after-cutting-its-guidance-earnings-2018-8

The only real way that Nvidia can meet the shareholder expectations is to price its graphics cards at a level which meets the profits it wants. This is of course the wrong way to do it setting a profits level and pricing accordingly can easily end in disaster, the better way is to use market research to find the level and then to maximise it, is what marketing does.

If sales levels are not what was expected, expensive stock builds up in expensive warehousing and a company is forced to lower the price to shift the stock. This is something Nvidia has been very resistant to doing - I believe that the late September launch is to rid some of the extra 1080Ti stock it is rumoured to have, but it has not reduced the price to clear this. Nvidia does not reduce its prices, and it will not with the 2080. Instead you can expect it to bundle extra kit in an effort to move product, we've seen PSU's and SSDs with the 1080 series.

It's just Nvidias marketing policy, they never reduce their prices.

This is lol-worthy for two reasons.

Firstly yesterday you said, "It's stupid to buy but I'm going to anyway; I probably deserve the hate I'm going to get."

Now today you're all defensive and trying to justify the purchase (which you really don't need to in any case).

But to then attempt to bring "common sense" into this - on your side - is lol-worthy.

Where is the "common sense" in agreeing to pay >£1000 for a completely unknown quantity? You're acting purely on faith.
Well firstly I used the amount of cores in the 2080Ti over the amount of cores on the 1080Ti, I then put the fact that the 2080Ti can do RT upto 6x faster than previous gens and then I made an informed decision.

What is lolworthy to me is the amount of people who chuck out accusations of "Going in dry/Free lube/Bent over/An addict/A mug" etc etc and whilst all of that does make me chuckle, it does get tiresome reading it in thread after thread and repeated by the same people.

I thought this was an enthusiast site and not moneysavingexpert :D :D

Crack on though, haters gonna hate :D :D

i got 4 years out of my TNT2 :p
I cant even remember the cards I had now :) , but I do remember having to rip one out after what seemed like a few months and buy another when a new game was launched - it was completely unplayable. Definitely had Voodoo 1 and 2 I think and quite a few others in the space of 2-3-4 years.
Also remember installing a new OS and having to do a complete new rebuild too. How times have changed :D. Thank gawd the days of slow CPU/memory and especially clickly and slow hard disks have gone

Last edited:
These prices are now laughable.

I took a break from gaming earlier this year, sold my 1080ti and got a used 1050ti instead.

If I ever get back into gaming again, I will likely just wait for good deal on an xbox one X or something.

With no competition, Nvidia can just do what they want so unless AMD catch up we are all ****.

Turing 12nm will be so short-lived (<1 year) that those who bought it may feel sick when 7nm (the real deal) launches in 2019. There's a reason the Ti released simultaneously boys and girls...

On the upside; you have a £1200 book end, and you can't buy that at IKEA!

100% this

Turing will be superseded in less than 1 year....with 7nm process releases. Hence the Ti coming out now as opposed to the Ti model coming 12 months after the GPU generation launch. Nvidia aren't going to wait a year so releasing the Ti now.

100% this

Turing will be superseded in less than 1 year....with 7nm process releases. Hence the Ti coming out now as opposed to the Ti model coming 12 months after the GPU generation launch. Nvidia aren't going to wait a year so releasing the Ti now.
I wouldn't say that has to be completely true, they did used to release top cards a long time back basically straight off the bat. But this time i would probably have to agree that it will be short lived because of 7nm.

Well firstly I used the amount of cores in the 2080Ti over the amount of cores on the 1080Ti, I then put the fact that the 2080Ti can do RT upto 6x faster than previous gens and then I made an informed decision.

What is lolworthy to me is the amount of people who chuck out accusations of "Going in dry/Free lube/Bent over/An addict/A mug" etc etc and whilst all of that does make me chuckle, it does get tiresome reading it in thread after thread and repeated by the same people.

Enjoy your new card and take no notice.:)

Even though I have reservations about Turing (like the cost and whether RT will work fast enough) if I did not have several other gaming options available to me I would have ordered a couple of 2080 Ti cards as they are still a nice upgrade to an enthusiast.:)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,193.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

You can get all this, for LESS THAN the price of 1 x 2080Ti lol

High end screen
Great GPU
Comfy seat to game on

or 1 2080Ti that'll be EOL in less than 12 months.

Enjoy your new card and take no notice.:)

Even though I have reservations about Turing (like the cost and whether RT will work fast enough) if I did not have several other gaming options available to me I would have ordered a couple of 2080 Ti cards as they are still a nice upgrade to an enthusiast.:)

I certainly will and at my ripe old age and working environment, it would take a lot more than these herberts to phase me :D :D A shame still, as I have always seen OcUK as an entusiast site and a shop that sells enthusiast products, so quite surprised to see so much negativity to those buying but whateve's.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,193.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

You can get all this, for LESS THAN the price of 1 x 2080Ti lol

High end screen
Great GPU
Comfy seat to game on

or 1 2080Ti that'll be EOL in less than 12 months.

Enjoy your comfy new chair :D

I wouldn't say that has to be completely true, they did used to release top cards a long time back basically straight off the bat. But this time i would probably have to agree that it will be short lived because of 7nm.

If you look back the Ti cards have ALWAYS been launched much later than the traditional **80 and **70 launch cards. This was to sweep up all before the Ti made the nerds upgrade from a **80 to a **80Ti.

This time around they haven't done that. You have to ask why? My reasoning for Ti launch now, is that the 7nm stuff will smash these 20** cards and Nvidia want to sucker the masses into buying these 20** cards now, before releasing the proper turing 7nm stuff later.

A bit like Intel and the Kabylake X stuff. They didn't even last 1 year before being replaced.

I'm not sure "informed decision" is the correct term... We are literally less informed about the performance of these cards than any previous release I can remember. We have no clue how they will perform. And the fact that nvidia didn't show a single non Ray tracing benchmark is worrying. And the benchmarks with Ray tracing switched on are laughable.
To be fair you often purchase titans, which are never a "sensible purchase". Or you could say an "informed decision". And yes buy buying these questionable cards it does put up the price for everyone. Including you. But it is a free market. You are a free consumer, and if you get more than £1200 of joy from owning one. Then I can absolutely see why you would buy one. Fair play to you.

I certainly will and at my ripe old age and working environment, it would take a lot more than these herberts to phase me :D :D A shame still, as I have always seen OcUK as an entusiast site and a shop that sells enthusiast products, so quite surprised to see so much negativity to those buying but whateve's.

Enjoy your comfy new chair :D

I actually have that chair and it's good lol :p :D

If you look back the Ti cards have ALWAYS been launched much later than the traditional **80 and **70 launch cards. This was to sweep up all before the Ti made the nerds upgrade from a **80 to a **80Ti.

This time around they haven't done that. You have to ask why? My reasoning for Ti launch now, is that the 7nm stuff will smash these 20** cards and Nvidia want to sucker the masses into buying these.
I mean when they used to have the Ultra cards and stuff. Not Ti and Titan.

Back
Top Bottom