• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still think this must be a stratagy to try and clear the 10 series stock that we know was oversupplied due to the demand from miners which then crashed. Release them high, anybody on the fence will just go for a 1080 or 1080ti and once the stock clears they can lower the prices to something more reasonable and put a PR spin on it that everybody will lap up. Meanwhile, all of the earliy adopters have already paid the early adopters tax.

The 2080TI is 754mm^2 vs 471mm^2 of the 1080TI, even the 2080 is about the same size as the 1080TI.

Turing is absolutely huge, it aint coming down in price.

XnU9Zf9.png

I remember getting a 4870 for £190 on release day :cool: before that it was an 8800gts 320mb for £200. This was when you could also get cheap core 2 cpus for barely 100 and overclock them to match £1000 cpus. That was all you needed for a top notch PC gaming experience not so long ago.

4870 was a killer GPU - You could get that as the graphics basis for yor PC, spend in total 700 quid and have a high end gaming PC that lasted you ages. Now 700 quid gets you just a 2070 :D

having bought my new ultrawide Alienware AW3418DW and having a 1080 only, do you think buying a second hand 1080ti would be worth?

To be honest I am a self employed person, I can afford a 2080 ti or whatever but I don't want anyone to laugh at me basically
no one will laugh at you..but you could get a 1080ti and a VR setup too for the price of a 2080ti ..

I remember getting a 4870 for £190 on release day :cool: before that it was an 8800gts 320mb for £200. This was when you could also get cheap core 2 cpus for barely 100 and overclock them to match £1000 cpus. That was all you needed for a top notch PC gaming experience not so long ago.

I bought one of those 320MB 8800GTS with the 640MB one was a fair bit more. Oh yes, those Core2 Duo's......... E2160's wannit?

4870 was a killer GPU - You could get that as the graphics basis for yor PC, spend in total 700 quid and have a high end gaming PC that lasted you ages. Now 700 quid gets you just a 2070 :D
Yeah exactly. Although Iv always at least appreciated that the standards have changed over the years I mean there's no stopping someone buying a cheap gpu to game at 1280*1024 with 60fps or a £200 one for 1680*1024. Most of us don't need these insane gpus for this ludacrous money but just want it for the novelty. For me id stop gaming on PC If I can no longer get a £400 card to do 1080p with maximum detail and smooth fps that would be the final straw.

I remember paying £160 to OCUK for MSI's top GTX460 which was so well tuned it beat a reference GTX470 and HD5870 lol. Don't get deals like that anymore ^^

I remember paying £160 to OCUK for MSI's top GTX460 which was so well tuned it beat a reference GTX470 and HD5870 lol. Don't get deals like that anymore ^^
No it's pretty much coming to an end unless people just stop bending over for these greedy companies. Unfortunately there's always someone who just wants the fastest and Nvidia know it.
Haha gaming on a good peasant card gives just that little bit more satisfaction imo .

The 2080Ti will cost you 1200 quid, 700 quid AS WELL AS your money for your 1080Ti. It's not 600 quid, it's 600 quid plus another 600 on top of that.

If you had 1200 quid in real cash in your hand and took it to a place where you could buy a 2080Ti, looking at the cash in your hand would make you stop and think a bit more.

Unless you have a ROG or other high end 1080Ti you'll probably not get 550 for it, then again perhpas you might, on the bay.

Yeah in some cases it's more than twice as expensive than some of the GTX 1080 Ti's.

Ughu.gif

I'm looking forward to these cards for VR as VR is quite demanding. I have an Oculus Rift CV1 at the moment and to run some games in max settings you really need the best of the best. I only have a GTX 1060 6GB right now so I feel like a jump to RTX 2080 would be worth while for me. And theirs rumours that the next version of the Rift is due to be released at end of 2019 so if that's the case then I will be future proofed for next version of the Rift called CV2.

Also the new cards will have the new VR port which will be used for the latest VR HMD's coming out soon as well as internal software features to run VR better.

So I reckon for anyone who has VR or is planning on getting into VR this card would be worth it.

EDIT: I do agree though with what everyone else is saying regarding price, how can the starting point be £800? Surely the prices should be around £400 for a new card lol.

Last edited:
The 2080TI is 754mm^2 vs 471mm^2 of the 1080TI, even the 2080 is about the same size as the 1080TI.

Turing is absolutely huge, it aint coming down in price.

XnU9Zf9.png

They could manufacture a die at 1000mm and charge 20k for it, but it doesn't mean anyone has to buy one.

I think people get easily confused between where things are and where things need to be.

Typically I'd be waiting for benchmarks before buying a new GFX card, but despite having money to hand i'm not paying £1100+ for a GFX card, that is just to much. If prices continue at this rate I'll simply buy a top end TV/sound system and games console.

**edit. Worryingly I suspect the top end cards will have a limited production and sell well which Nvidia will use to justify this sort of price tag for future products.

Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that next year NVIDIA will be on a 7nm process, probably producing more powerful cards with the current architecture. Why would anyone buy today? I have no clue.

The 2080Ti will cost you 1200 quid, 700 quid AS WELL AS your money for your 1080Ti. It's not 600 quid, it's 600 quid plus another 600 on top of that.

If you had 1200 quid in real cash in your hand and took it to a place where you could buy a 2080Ti, looking at the cash in your hand would make you stop and think a bit more.

Unless you have a ROG or other high end 1080Ti you'll probably not get 550 for it, then again perhpas you might, on the bay.

I wasn't reducing the total cost of the 2080ti but my UPGRADE COST. And I did very clearly state where I was selling it.

What I was trying to say was that if for example I allow myself a budget for PC gaming of £1000/yr. The 980ti cost me £600 from that 1st years budget. It didnt coz I sold my 7990 for 'cant remember') The capital from that card meant that from the next years budget the 1080ti drew £400 of it (What I paid the supplier was £720) and 'if' I got the 2080ti and I got £500 for the 1080tiit then the draw from my yearly budget would be say £600 (I pay the supplier £1200.)

What I was trying to demonstrate was the small window of opportunity available (about 1 week) around card release dates of selling to those not in the know, maximising the resale value of my current card therefore reducing my UPGRADE costs by exploiting those not in the know. If I leave it for months after release where my current card may only fetch £200 as EVERYONE knows that new cards are out (even auction site buyers). Though the person that bought my 980ti was actually on here next day realising it maybe wasn't the bargain he thought it was. Blinded by months of stable 2nd hand 980ti prices and me coming up with a buy it now price of a few quid less than going rates you have to bid over 7 days for.

Not that the card only costs £600. The card as you say will COST £1200 from the supplier. But my upgrade cost as I do it regularly will be X as I have maximised the capital left in my current card if I time it right. Maybe it's the same illusion as people getting last gen cards days before the release of the new gen. So from this years budget I may be able to get those Audeze Mobius cans I wanted too.

Apologies for the confusion with my 'logic', but let me stay happy to the maybe no existent method to my madness. Maybe you just lost Gibbo a sale now. :D

The 2070 is £570. Just let that sink in.

The affordable tier (£150-£300) will consist of an nVidia-branded shoebox with some LEDs on it. And a clown nose you can honk.

You expect a whole shoebox and a clown nose,how about a nice piece of printed paper with a picture of Geforce Titan instead?? You can add your own sound effects!!

Back
Top Bottom