• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1080Ti does Elite Dangerous in VR Ultra (and anything else I choose to throw at it) totally fine. So no, blowing a cool £1000 just to have the latest kit doesn't seem like a good idea

Oh and I see the ASUS ROG Strix version is now up, for an eye-watering £1500. And I'm old enough to remember the days you could build a top-spec'd PC for around that!

I bought an MSI 980ti Gaming X for £599 new. In just 2 generations its gone from that to £1500 for an equiviantly placed card! I just can't understand why anybody is ok with these prices

The prices are nuts, £1000+ was titan x territory a year ago, now its TI territory. If they do a titan version of this card it'll be at least 2 grand.

Probably because they can't sell them at that price.

Their initial inventory has already sold out, orders are now pushed back to October from Sept 20th. Whether that was a lot of inventory we'll never know. If it was, its nuts how the first allocation has apparently already been spoken for. :(

Their initial inventory has already sold out, orders are now pushed back to October from Sept 20th. Whether that was a lot of inventory we'll never know. If it was, its nuts how the first allocation has apparently already been spoken for. :(
Yeah, sold out means nothing. Maybe gibbo got 2 cards? who knows. What we do know is that "sold out" looks great. And nvidia will have made sure that everywhere would sell out.

having bought my new ultrawide Alienware AW3418DW and having a 1080 only, do you think buying a second hand 1080ti would be worth?

To be honest I am a self employed person, I can afford a 2080 ti or whatever but I don't want anyone to laugh at me basically

having bought my new ultrawide Alienware AW3418DW and having a 1080 only, do you think buying a second hand 1080ti would be worth?

To be honest I am a self employed person, I can afford a 2080 ti or whatever but I don't want anyone to laugh at me basically

If you need the extra performance then a second hand 1080'ti will cost you less than half of a 2080ti.

If I can get £500-£550 for my 1080ti (maybe wishing) then the 2080ti will cost say £600 at the current pre order prices.

The 2080Ti will cost you 1200 quid, 700 quid AS WELL AS your money for your 1080Ti. It's not 600 quid, it's 600 quid plus another 600 on top of that.

If you had 1200 quid in real cash in your hand and took it to a place where you could buy a 2080Ti, looking at the cash in your hand would make you stop and think a bit more.

Unless you have a ROG or other high end 1080Ti you'll probably not get 550 for it, then again perhpas you might, on the bay.

1080Ti does Elite Dangerous in VR Ultra (and anything else I choose to throw at it) totally fine. So no, blowing a cool £1000 just to have the latest kit doesn't seem like a good idea

Oh and I see the ASUS ROG Strix version is now up, for an eye-watering £1500. And I'm old enough to remember the days you could build a top-spec'd PC for around that!
I remember getting a 4870 for £190 on release day :cool: before that it was an 8800gts 320mb for £200. This was when you could also get cheap core 2 cpus for barely 100 and overclock them to match £1000 cpus. That was all you needed for a top notch PC gaming experience not so long ago.

I am good bro cheers and you?

I have been around hardware since the days of the pet, spectrum,c64 and always been into gaming and tinkering. The Amiga days were my favourite and some great titles back then and demo's were amazing. The scene used to do some amazing gfx with some amazing music and these would blow my mind but the one thing I wanted to see more of was RayTracing, as when I first saw what was possible, it blew everything out of the water. Motion capture, roto scaping, parallex scrolling, I have seen them all and it has driven the gaming industry forward. I agree that the price is insane and I can appreciate why people are angry but at the same time, don't direct the anger at those who have purchased. As for my informed decision, I base it on a knowledge of what is what with a GPU and whilst I can only come up with general figures that are/will be inaccurate, I do have a rough understanding. And even then, it is the fact of RT that I have purchased this card. I want to see real time rayracing in games and it is a big thing for me.

I'm well mate, thanks! Re-doing the house in this heat pff!

You're right that personal attacks aren't appropriate.

You behave yourself son when you're in my land come Saturday ;)

Not interested - at launch prices and without a good idea of how well they perform.

Maybe on a good deal or used further down the line. Or a Titan V instead if there's ever a cheap one in the MM.

Waiting on proper benchmarks with more mature drivers before I decide but the non-RT performance of the 2080/Ti isn't likely to be enough of an increase over the 1080Ti unfortunately.

Yeah, sold out means nothing. Maybe gibbo got 2 cards? who knows. What we do know is that "sold out" looks great. And nvidia will have made sure that everywhere would sell out.

I still think this must be a stratagy to try and clear the 10 series stock that we know was oversupplied due to the demand from miners which then crashed. Release them high, anybody on the fence will just go for a 1080 or 1080ti and once the stock clears they can lower the prices to something more reasonable and put a PR spin on it that everybody will lap up. Meanwhile, all of the earliy adopters have already paid the early adopters tax.

Back
Top Bottom