Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Caporegime
Doing a bit of work in my boss's private storage area today when I spy a little round item hidden under a dust cover in a corner. A little peek reveals this:

BGMnldK.jpg

I don't want to pry or give ot too much info, but it's a 1959 356 Convertible with 35k miles on the clock and last MOT'd in 2009. A car worth £300k+ on a good day, just sitting there.

I wonder how much sucking up / sucking off it'd take to get him to give it to me :D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
One thing that I did find highly annoying when spec'ing my car was with a manual car my arm kept hitting the seat on down shift which I found highly annoying and it was one of the reasons that put me off that setup.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
So looking around on the approved car list from Porsche and its refreshing to see 58 GT3's and 18 GT3 RS's, they are a combination of 991.1 and 991.2 models. I wonder how many of those where bought to be flipped straight away... :mad:

Soldato
Girlfriend just bought a 2004 Boxter. Picks it up next week. I'm hoping it's reliable but I've got a feelng I'll be learning how Porsche's work now:)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Girlfriend just bought a 2004 Boxter. Picks it up next week. I'm hoping it's reliable but I've got a feelng I'll be learning how Porsche's work now:)

Excellent choice, they are great cars. I assume all the normal checks have been carried out on the car? i.e borescope etc...

Soldato
I don't think so? It was a bit of an impulse purchase! We've only paid a deposit so far. It's from a dealer who is going to service it before collection.was no sign of smoke or oil leaks that I could see.

It did fail the mot in july but then passed. The failure was on:

• Offside Rear Road wheel fixing missing (5.2.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Headlamp aim so that beam "kick up" is not visible on the screen (4.1.2 (a))
  • Rear Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak (8.2.1.1 (b))
  • Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Soldato
Just had a Google, we're quite away from them. I'll see if I can find someone local. It's the 986 she's going for. 2 owners the last of which had it for 10 years.

I'll write them an email tomorrow to see if I can get some more info on previous issues, bills etc.

One issue is she's so excited to get it that she's probably throw the money at them even if they took out the engine!

Soldato
@Kimi Lots of factors to consider before panicking about the engine gremlins!

First of all, they're still great drivers cars and you can get an enormous amount of fun for your cash out of a 986.

Have you got the 2.7 or the 3.2? In all honesty neither are as prone to bore scoring as the larger displacement engines in the 911, but the earlier ones can develop oval bores - although this is almost entirely reported in the 3.4L 996's. I honestly don't think I'd bother with a borescope for a 986. IMS is still an unknown and I'd check whether the IMS has been replaced at any stage. If not, and it's a higher mileage example which has been used properly, you might not need to worry. However, a low mileage garage queen might not have had the opportunity to fail yet! Oil leaks from the RMS (and other places) are a characteristic of these engines and aren't catastrophic by any means.

Basically, you're buying a lovely, albeit 14 year old, sports car and it will have the usual wear and tear associated with any car of this type. I'd actually be more concerned about it needing a full suspension refresh rather than engine troubles, especially if there's a good service file with the car.

Hope you manage to wrestle the keys off your girlfriend once in a while to enjoy it!

Permabanned
Commissario
Not really... the interior is quite nice... I actually prefer that interior to the 991.1!

In 991.1, the gearstick gets in the way of a bunch of the ICE buttons... is a little annoying.

Recommend 997.2 era... so 2010+
I suppose it could be subjective, how does that one I linked stack up spec wise??

Permabanned
It checks the basics straight away:

- PASM
- Sport Chrono
- BOSE

Also Romans are well renowned for only offering good quality cars. Only tip would be to make sure you get the Porsche 111-check before the end of Roman's 12 month warranty to get anything sorted by Romans prior to renewing the warranty with Porsche direct.

There isn't much else to go on really... not a huge amount of detail in the ad & I haven't compared to others on the market... but it has the 3 main things I would look for. Maybe also look for the sports exhaust if it doesn't have it already, as the stock exhaust is a little quiet. If it doesn't have it - carnewal do lightly modified OEM exhausts for a good price that are a touch better than the stock sports exhaust.

Permabanned
If in the market to improve the exhaust.

Carnewal do a full system which is the OEM system modified with high-flow racing cats... would give you an extra 20-30bhp too... a little more if you uprated the intake to GT3 intake... which all also has a great effect on the noise, without being boomy or unpleasant when you want to cruise.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
+1 on Romans. PCCBs would be on my list as well, but they are not for everyone.

SharkWerks or Akrapovic would be my choice for after market exhausts.

Permabanned
+1 on Romans. PCCBs would be on my list as well, but they are not for everyone.

SharkWerks or Akrapovic would be my choice for after market exhausts.

Depends on use case for the car... if it's your daily, then no - both of those are too loud and the Sharkwerks especially is droney.

The carnewal is a better price and keeps to OEM sound quality while being good for a daily.

Sharkwerks is especially loud.

Apparently this one has the sports exhaust but I can't tell the difference between it and the previous one I linked?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803024205487

AFAIK the sports exhaust looks the same visually... it only sounds different and has a button to open/close the flaps.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@Maccy Have you looked into the 997 GTS models? As they are normally very highly spec'ed for the money aren't likely to lose a lot of money in depreciation.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Depends on use case for the car... if it's your daily, then no - both of those are too loud and the Sharkwerks especially is droney.

The carnewal is a better price and keeps to OEM sound quality while being good for a daily.

Sharkwerks is especially loud.

AFAIK the sports exhaust looks the same visually... it only sounds different and has a button to open/close the flaps.

The Akrapovic has valves, so it can be turned on and off to suit, I also believe they make a number of different variants on the SharkWerks, so you can replace different parts to get different levels.

Yes, the SharkWerks full system is very loud though but it sounds sooo good.

Back
Top Bottom