Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Drove the GT3 last night with factory exhaust to the pub, the differences are:
- it is silly quiet, valves open is quieter than valves shut on the IPE
- Car runs fine, not that it should not but just saying
- The downshifts are nowhere near as exciting. :(
- The last 500rpm (8500-9000rpm) sounds better in the car on stock system, the tone, shrill and induction sound is marginally better.
- I can drive like a knob without feeling so bad about it as I can't be heard for miles, lol. :D
- The IPE sounds so much better in general and makes the car more enjoyable, maybe also slows me a down a bit as I know I can be heard when pressing on.
- The stock system will hopefully pass track day noise, should do as you see plenty of them, booked at Donnington 17th, will take GT3. :)
- Cannot really notice any performance difference, but not really pressed on too much, supposedly the IPE system is worth close to 30HP/30Lb/ft and saves around 20kg, the latter I believe as lifting the factory system into place by myself was not easy.

Shall run the factory system for next 2-3 months, get a load of track days in and then maybe change back later in year or next year. If I start to not miss the extra noise I can probably sell the IPE setup for around £5000.

Soldato
Track day #4 this year is Donington. My first time there in the GT4 and I think it's probably my overall favourite UK track. You get fun elevation changes, good variety of corners and straight bits, GP quality surface, decent garages and it's not £600 a time like Silverstone. Only wish it was a bit closer to home!

If anyone can do a proper photoshop on this top one to remove the Lotus let me know can send the full file, would love to get it printed.
j0nysuDh.jpg
o5g6LFlh.jpg
9uUov3Bh.jpg

Got chased by some yellow thing aswell
B4vbeqmh.jpg

Great coincidence we were booked on the same day. Gibbo offered a passenger session in the 458 and have to say I was blown away, exceeded my expectations considerably. Cup2s and aggressive geo it would be properly properly quick, I've been in other supercars you'd assume were a step up on the 458 on track (GT3, AMG GTR, 570s) and have to say there was not much in it at all. Helps that Gibbo is very familiar with the track aswell :).

Afterwards he jumped in my passenger seat and gave a few tips as I don't know the track that well, quite successfully hunted down and dispatched a 718 GT4 which made me quite happy.

OcUK Staff
OP
Track day #4 this year is Donington. My first time there in the GT4 and I think it's probably my overall favourite UK track. You get fun elevation changes, good variety of corners and straight bits, GP quality surface, decent garages and it's not £600 a time like Silverstone. Only wish it was a bit closer to home!

If anyone can do a proper photoshop on this top one to remove the Lotus let me know can send the full file, would love to get it printed.
j0nysuDh.jpg
o5g6LFlh.jpg
9uUov3Bh.jpg

Got chased by some yellow thing aswell
B4vbeqmh.jpg

Great coincidence we were booked on the same day. Gibbo offered a passenger session in the 458 and have to say I was blown away, exceeded my expectations considerably. Cup2s and aggressive geo it would be properly properly quick, I've been in other supercars you'd assume were a step up on the 458 on track (GT3, AMG GTR, 570s) and have to say there was not much in it at all. Helps that Gibbo is very familiar with the track aswell :).

Afterwards he jumped in my passenger seat and gave a few tips as I don't know the track that well, quite successfully hunted down and dispatched a 718 GT4 which made me quite happy.

Thanks for me what makes the 458 a winner is just how good the chassis is and how forgiving it is at and beyond the limit, makes me somewhat tempted to throw a geo and sticky rubber at it for more track work, I too was surprised the first time I took it to Silverstone, I guess people, myself forget that Ferrari have been at it for decades focusing on driver focused cars, they just never seem that fussed about lap times and they may not be all out quickest car but are more than capable whilst at the same time generally been far superior and more fun road cars. :)
Ferrari have always somewhat been very focused at the fun aspect of driving which I applaud them for, cars need to be fun and engaging on the road at legal speeds, that is the weakness of my GT3, though yesterday in the Peak District it was great fun on the lumpy British B roads. :D

thumbnail_IMG_7010.jpg

Soldato
Great work, what camera and mount are you using, also tips on camera settings too :D
Can get these 3D printed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4388292 or a clamp one does well. It's a GoPro Hero 5 so not the latest and greatest, 1440p30 so you get a bit more motion blur. Important thing is to set the exposure to -2 otherwise you blow out the windscreen. More recent gopro maybe get away without doing that as they have such good dynamic range.

Soldato
Can get these 3D printed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4388292 or a clamp one does well. It's a GoPro Hero 5 so not the latest and greatest, 1440p30 so you get a bit more motion blur. Important thing is to set the exposure to -2 otherwise you blow out the windscreen. More recent gopro maybe get away without doing that as they have such good dynamic range.

Thanks, I have a GoPro Hero cam as well but securing it somewhere in the 996 or the merc is a pain as neither have cages or exposed chassis parts, always get too much vibration into the camera.

Soldato
Thanks, I have a GoPro Hero cam as well but securing it somewhere in the 996 or the merc is a pain as neither have cages or exposed chassis parts, always get too much vibration into the camera.
Best bet is to get a good sucker mount and use screws that either have philips head accessible or come with a wrench type end so you can properly crank them. Probably the arms just vibrating a tiny amount you can damp out with enough tightening.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So had the GT3 at Donington yesterday with Open Track, national layout and have re-booked for next Friday full day, was a great day. The car lived up to expectations, very consistent and can really lean on the chassis, certainly a lot more speed in the car yet, so got an alignment booked next week and back again next Friday for a full day.

Compared to the 458, the 458 is stronger in straight line and also feels move fun, chassis moves around more, even likes to slide and shorter gearing means you use the paddles more as possible to get into 6th whereas the GT3 can literally use 3rd and 4th. The 458 exceeded expectations and the GT3 lived up to expectations, making them both very good, for sure both could do with more track orientated tyres as the lightness of the Exige and been on cups makes it feel even more at home on the circuit and is the most engaging of all three cars.

Some photos:

52292838627_1806895f49_o_small.jpg 52292890092_1f462a0681_o_small.jpg 52293816273_6860e4f937_o_small.jpg 52293924301_8b9019f856_o_small.jpg 52294068339_9b2560999d_o_small.jpg 52294097279_7962b3ee59_o_small.jpg 52294350525_8abb307360_o_small.jpg Lot-o-02SF5939_small.jpg MSV-8271_small.jpg

Associate
OcUK Staff
OP
I've put both Porsches up for sale:

Going to move to the dark side and try a Mclaren. :eek:
If it goes wrong I'll be back in a Porsche and no doubt jump into an RS.

Also for anyone un-aware and is due to extend their Porsche Warranty, the extended warranty cost are going up in September I have heard, but anyone buying a 1yr, 2yr or 3yr policy this month can get them at the old prices, no idea how much they are going up by but based on other brands probably circa 10-20%.

Soldato
Can’t believe the GT3 is going already! The 600LT spyder sounds like a great option to replace both.

I get the impression that the GT3 was more of an itch to scratch rather than something to keep long term. Your main issue is that damned Ferrari is too good!

OcUK Staff
OP
Can’t believe the GT3 is going already! The 600LT spyder sounds like a great option to replace both.

I get the impression that the GT3 was more of an itch to scratch rather than something to keep long term. Your main issue is that damned Ferrari is too good!

I did enjoy the 600LT test drive, of course a 40 minute test drive is generally exciting in any car, because it is new, though in fairness I've test driven some cars like an F8 Ferrari and been left cold, though the 296 left me thinking wow, but then thinking at 300k no thanks and the 812 also felt crazy special but as amazing as that was I could feel its weight and it also felt rather big.

Boxster Spyder - Biggest risk selling this, not seen a car with ceramics for sale since I've owned mine as such I will never be able to revisit or highly unlikely one with same specification as mine, it is also without a doubt potentially the best road car for driving enjoyment I own, it is just so right, the problems are I hate the fact it is black (forever dirty) but it does look incredible when clean, but I also hardly ever drive it, for track work as well balanced as it is the Exige, GT3, 458 are just simply better. As such it is more why keep something I don't use that much and resent because it is always needing cleaning, dire shame as it is a true great, also from a generation where Porsches were bomb proof but also very cheap to run and maintain.

GT3 - Definitely an itch for sure, but I have to admit it is an absolute class leader just feels so right to drive, the issue with it is that at 5/10 driving style it is just a firm and noisy 911, suspension squeaks, engine rattles because motorsport and as such it normal speeds though it fits like a glove and I never worry about scraping it or leaving it somewhere the car is somewhat dull to drive. Maybe a case of been too good and this is a gen1, I am well informed the gen2 cars are even more dull and regular 911 at normal road speeds and require silly speeds to come alive. Where the GT3 shines is when you open that motor up, chase that redline and really lean on the suspension, however when doing so you are travelling at somewhat anti-social speeds but it truly excels, the engine explodes into life, the gearbox is sensational and it is just a pin point machine with superb engineering. But its a bit like an on/off switch, feels normal at regular/legal speeds, then feels incredible when your naughty in it. The Porsche warranty does give great peace of mind though!

My issue is I want to try stuff, the special car market is a bit crazy but at same time availability of the greats is somewhat reducing as well, so I could be making a huge mistake selling two great and rare examples of already rare cars. But my view is if Mclaren ownership is a disaster I can sell up and go hunting down another GT3 but get the RS version this time round, maybe even in ultra violet.

I might also sell the Lotus as well, but I don't need to do so but from a pure sensible approach a 600 LT Spider could really do the duty of all three cars, track car, sports/super car, convertible all in one car, downside it sounds rubbish, so then I jump back in the 458, but Lotus ownership is cheap in all aspects so apart from filling a garage I don't need to shift the little orange pumpkin.

Yes the 458 is truly special, it is a car that can do the crazy fast, track stuff just like the GT3, something I thought it was not capable off, how wrong was I, but where it truly excels is at 5/10 it feels truly special but also engaging, its a fun and alive car even at 30mph and that is a trick not many modern cars, let alone super cars can achieve these days, the Exige is good here as well but that is a manual with manual steering for you in a little plastic car weighing as much as a fag packet.

I know I will be back in a Porsche, another GT product again they are so good and if Speciale prices ever calm down I might just sell the lot and jump into the true dream, but at 350-400k is silly money, now I might kick myself if in three years they are 700-800k but that kind of money is also brand new 765LT, Huracan STO and 296 GTB, though in fairness I'd still probably take the Speciale it is amazing how Ferrari can make a truly special machine whilst keeping the looks somewhat understated and clean, very much like Porsche though maybe the latest RS Porsche really went crazy, but function over form.

Back
Top Bottom