• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Radeon 390X / 390 and 380X Spec / Benchmark (do not hotlink images!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
whaaaaat ;)

I lock mine at 90fps (dont have a fancy high hz panel) with ultra, 2xmsaa, 150% res scale with post process off and 90% of the time it doesn't even budge from 90fps. Only under massive explosions does it drop 20 frames or so, but even then it stays above 60fps. That's not what I would call "not the best frame rates" more than happy with that. But I guess you're used to 120fps with your screen so can understand what your kinda saying I guess.

your mad shanks old boy ;)

Yeah when I saying not the best frame rates that's comparing that to what I get now.. and once you use 120hz and have games keeping the frame rate over that you really do notice the difference in smoothness..

All this AMD buzz won't make the stock shorters, doomsayers and general Hate-AMD-Religion crowd very happy.

And DM is right about HBM, some things take a couple of paragraphs to explain. Those of us who don't read on iThings and are intellectually curious appreciate that.

I wonder how HBM will affect cooling. Now the heat has to travel through a load of RAM dies before it gets to the heatsink, surely?

Seems they would have to push down the power consumption a lot because of this. Maybe that's why it's 1ghz clock rather than higher?

I wonder how HBM will affect cooling. Now the heat has to travel through a load of RAM dies before it gets to the heatsink, surely?

Seems they would have to push down the power consumption a lot because of this. Maybe that's why it's 1ghz clock rather than higher?

Clock speed is partially down to power but it's more about efficiency.

There are lots of individual reasons, going off package means pins have a minimum size, increased bus and more connections to memory off package means more pins and traces. There is literally a limit on how many non silicon scale connections you can make. When you move to the silicon scale at 40nm or below you can fit in 10 times as many connections.

HBM could easily be 4Ghz and 256bit, but it would take more power. By moving onto an interposer 256 connections or 1024 connections is pretty much no different, they can fit way way more connections than that. Wider bus and lower memory speed will always be more efficient. There will be higher clock speed/higher bandwidth versions in the future but again it's basically down to what is required. If you can saturate the GPU with bandwidth with 4 stacks where they run at 1Ghz, then using 2Ghz is just wasting power. It will move to 2Ghz when they need that much bandwidth.

In terms of cooling, it's surprising how easy it is, how stacked chips work is using through silicon via's(TSV's), essentially it's a copper connection vertically through the chip that connects the bottom layer to each higher layer, there can be thousands of them because well, each connection can basically be 20nm wide now. There was/is a real temperature difference between the bottom and top layer, but they add in dummy TSV's, giving in effect a copper cooling connection from top through bottom. When adding 5-10% dummy TSV's then the temperature difference from top to bottom goes from around 25C to about 5C, so it's very effective.

Ultimately stacks aren't limited by clock speed, cooling or power. It's mostly about tuning a gpu to the right number of stacks/memory/bandwidth. There is also the manufacturing size, they need to produce HBM's in high volume to make them not too expensive, so they need to suit multiple uses, again lower power/more efficiency will lend HBM stacks to mobile devices, gpus, laptops, cpu, will likely be used as basically on die cache as well in the future. 4ghz higher power 1TB/s stacks would prove useful pretty much only in gpu's, so volume would drop drastically and price would increase greatly.

When you can to an extent just drop on another stack of efficient low power HBM to provide more bandwidth and memory high power single stacks are possible but just not really required.

AMD will once again deliver, and i quote 'smash' Nvidia.
Not 290x vs 780 where they trade blows, im talking fully blown nuclear war (heat pun intended) but yeah, i dont think AMD will solve power consumption or heat, because lets face it, id take core insane performance over power usage (im 15, i dont pay the bills lmao) but yeah, hopefully this is a big step up and it shuts the Nvidia fanboys up for a bit... Such a shame the fact im just about to purchase a second 290 and 4k monitor... So unless there is a solid 60fps at 4k on ultra, i wont be tempted to sell and buy (Virtually impossible, but id like to see it.)
But yeah, happy days to finally see some news, Also, im a tiny bit of an AMD fanboy, but I dont just go 'F*ck Nvidia, but yeah AMD FTWWWW

3Dmark alone shows a 49fps difference between 7950's and 290's these bth had same CPU overclock.

290s
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1259137

7950s
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1259137

I added the frame rates from 290's together and tuck away the frame rates from 7950's total gain was 49fps something you would easy notice in any game.

Them links are the same,

Btw not been reading the rest of what this conversation was about, but my two 7950s score a lot more than that!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4625155

AMD will once again deliver, and i quote 'smash' Nvidia.
Not 290x vs 780 where they trade blows, im talking fully blown nuclear war (heat pun intended) but yeah, i dont think AMD will solve power consumption or heat, because lets face it, id take core insane performance over power usage (im 15, i dont pay the bills lmao) but yeah, hopefully this is a big step up and it shuts the Nvidia fanboys up for a bit... Such a shame the fact im just about to purchase a second 290 and 4k monitor... So unless there is a solid 60fps at 4k on ultra, i wont be tempted to sell and buy (Virtually impossible, but id like to see it.)
But yeah, happy days to finally see some news, Also, im a tiny bit of an AMD fanboy, but I dont just go 'F*ck Nvidia, but yeah AMD FTWWWW

Nucular-like war. :cool:

Well then.

Yeah but let's be honest who cares :p Those cards are old and boring now. Bring on the new gen !!

Looking forward to AMD's new stuff.

True dat and I don't. My geeky mate loves his 7950s and I spared a moment for him :D

Bring on the beasts and the wars shall resume :D

Says under core clock 1.2ghz?

He didn't say his were stock, he said stock cooled...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom