Post your actual energy usage

Iirc last year I used 6015kwh elec and 14785kwh gas. I wfh so it's balanced against no commuting costs, previously the annual train ticket to London was over 5k..

Last edited:
What number is this? I'm guessing 32K odd but 32,1663 isn't a valid number in my book :D

Whoops - Looks like I did what they did and got the numbers wrong. It says 32,166 for the two weeks usage.

Clearly something wrong. An interesting conclusion though in that what was sent as a £6k bill, got reduced to a £1k bill, which then got reduced to a £0 bill since they had sent no bill in over 2 years despite meter readings being provided and them reducing the DDR when it should have been increased.

So their gaff actually ended up in a proper good result!

Late 1920's 3 bed semi-detached in Northamptonshire (but wrap around modern extension so square footage is more of a 4/5 bed)

Last year;
Electricity 4518kWh
Gas 10939kWh

Monthly cost £200 atm but in a fair amount of credit as still on a fixed until end of Dec. Also use 2 wood burners to supplement heating so have the heating set quite low.

I was very lucky and locked into a 2 and 1/2 year tariff in Sept last year just before everything went through the roof, but expecting it to rocket when it runs out in March 24
Yea I'd definitely be using the opportunity to be stashing money aside until March, to help soften the blow. Our energy rises will be staggered this year - April for gas as we're just on SVR and we have Octopus GO for electricity until October '23 so keep our 7.5p/kWh overnight until then. Who knows what it'll be up to by the time we renew.

Scottish Power sent me an "Important!" email about my new energy prices to tell me that electricity costs were going down slightly and I would save the princely sum of £6 per year over the previous estimate. Thanks guys!

Scottish Power sent me an "Important!" email about my new energy prices to tell me that electricity costs were going down slightly and I would save the princely sum of £6 per year over the previous estimate. Thanks guys!
Had a similar thing from Eon except electricity was going up but gas would be 12 pence cheaper a year lol!

Had a similar thing from Eon except electricity was going up but gas would be 12 pence cheaper a year lol!

Had the same, such a pointless email! It was pennies worth of change that amounted to £4 more estimated a year :D

End of December I’ll post my electricity and gas usage graphs for the year. December could be painful :(

Last edited:
Over the past year...

49,300kWh of gas
12,500kWh of electricity of which about 7,000kWh was generated by my solar panels

Thankfully natural gas is "only" $0.03 a kWh even after a 25% price hike in October - if I was paying UK prices it would bankrupt me :eek:
All the electricity I've paid for this year is off peak at around $0.07 a kWh - I still have 700kWh of peak net metering credits that will roll forward until February

Last edited:
Over the past year...

49,300kWh of gas
12,500kWh of electricity of which about 7,000kWh was generated by my solar panels

Thankfully natural gas is "only" $0.03 a kWh even after a 25% price hike in October - if I was paying UK prices it would bankrupt me :eek:
All the electricity I've paid for this year is off peak at around $0.07 a kWh - I still have 700kWh of peak net metering credits that will roll forward until February
Good Lord - is that just the gas usage for your furnace? Presuming that you have central air system as you're in the US.

I have central AC but the heat is a separate radiant system which is quite common in the Northeast. Gas usage covers everything - heating, cooking, the tumble dryer is gas and I have a natural gas powered whole home standby generator.

I have central AC but the heat is a separate radiant system which is quite common in the Northeast. Gas usage covers everything - heating, cooking, the tumble dryer is gas and I have a natural gas powered whole home standby generator.
Fair enough. It's still an awful lot of gas usage though - I'm expecting to use anywhere around 6,000-8,000kWh/year so nearly 50,000kWh is staggering!

Are you having to run the tumble dryer and standby generator a lot? I imagine your house size is quite generous too, whereas I have a paltry ~1,000sq.ft :p

This should be fairly self explanatory, the 12 month difference figures are the important ones, comparing energy usage from the current period to the same month a year earlier. We used a LOT of gas in Feb-March 2020 because that's a few months after I did my shoulder and I was suffering so the heating was on full blast for a lot of the time. It's disappointing that we used the same gas in November-December this year as last year but there was a cold snap.

The final column is the scary one.

Z2mlOY4.png

Back
Top Bottom