Post your FTTC line stats & unlocking info

Soldato
Where do you get 39998kbps being 39.06mbps? Im confused with the translations your doing between bitrates

I'm pretty sure that my post was complete bobbins! It had been a long day and I made a school boy error with my conversion factors (I had bytes in mind rather than bits).

It’s been another long day, so there’s a very small chance I could be wrong about being wrong (but I don’t think so).:(

Associate
We all make those mistakes, damn you B b!

Anyway from what I have learned (based on line speeds reading as Max/attainable and achieved/set/profile):

VDSL will get 100% sync rates within 600-1000m copper... AKA short range BB
ADSL is long range BB (max attenuation (loss of speed)) is at about 6.5km

VDSL cabs (two sizes 5ft tall two door and 3/4ft tall single door) can have 96 circuits at either 2/40 or 10/40. These can be BT retail sold to you as "infinity" or sub loop unbundling (the loops from your cab to house) where other ISPs rent the DSLAM to give you service.

VDSL cabs must be situated within 100m of a cab and must have mains power else no cab. They don't need PP the max time it takes from proposal to install start is 55 days I believe.

MOST urban cabs are within 1000km of line (line follows roads and comes up your pole... include this to estimate your length to cab). Cul-de-sac is not going to be good for you if it loops in on itself, i know the road near mine at the start they get 10/40 at the end (approx 30 detached houses) he only gets 5.7/22 (still better than his prior 0.1up/0.4down)!.

So far 60% of FTTC installs sync at 100% and 90% achieve a sync of over 30mb down. This information is from approx nov/dec 2011 and is obviously the data for the first installs since Jan of that year (still amazingly better than prior ADSL sync speeds where 50% is lucky!)

The actual sync rates always turn out at 1999 or 10000 for up and 39998 39999 or 40000 for down, no idea why this is what I was told.

ALL FTTC CIRCUITS WITH A WHITE OPENREACH MODEM are the ONLY broadband in the country with a MIN down speed, 15mb. If your line is greater than 1km from the cab you might get about 10-14 mb if its about 1.4km, in this situation your ADSL is likely to be less than 2mb anyway so there is an option:

The ISP may offer to serve you a "sub 15 meg" product, this is individual to ISPS, I know in the case of BT retail Infinity option 3 is cheaper, others no idea.

The purpose of the white modem is so Openreach (the company that own the wires from exchanges therefore through cabs and the cabs themselves) can guarrente that their engineer did a managed install. This is merely putting the NTE and VDSL modem at the FIRST socket in the house (aka before your demarcation point, any internal wiring you do can not mess up the line, they know its a direct, a-b leg with no star wiring and no faulty connectors)

THIS is why they can give you a 15 meg guarantee. The VDSL modem is the DSL demarcation point and they will pay for its maintenance provided your little angels don't facilitate its demise.

Now the people who currently install these VDSL modems for ISPs come in three flavors. BB openreach engineers who have done the training for FTTC. Openreach apprentices who have been trained to do the job and are now doing college work on the side. The last are... contractors... in my area by the name of "kellys", if anyone is working "on behalf of" openreach... watch them. I will not spread bad blood, just watch them and all should be fine. These are the guys who i have seen people in the BT infinity thread quoting saying "I had no idea they were increasing the speed".

On to the increased speed. When the VDSL cards in the DSLAMS in your local fibre PCP (cab) are changed to 17a the max rate will be somewhere in the 120meg region if you are in idea line conditions.
NOTE: at higher speeds (frequencies) there will become more disparity in line sync rates, at the moment vdls 8a (10/40) is nothing compared to 30 (200meg down) that could be used, its just not been tested or approved yet.

Well that's my ramble, might edit it later to make it more readable

Soldato
good post like it.

Kelly's installed my replacement modem in the swap out last week. Went fine, is cooler to the touch. My initial install was by a 6 week on the job apprentice.

Need to see about hacking mine for the stats to see if its 17a.

Associate
The modem in your house is just syncing to the signal that is being used

VDSL 17a is determinded by the card in the DSLAM and not the modem in your house.

Saying that since the HH3 wont show Line speeds for VDSL connections (the modem is not inside it :) ) hacking it is the only way to see early if your cab has the tech in it

Soldato
good post like it.

Kelly's installed my replacement modem in the swap out last week. Went fine, is cooler to the touch. My initial install was by a 6 week on the job apprentice.

Need to see about hacking mine for the stats to see if its 17a.

Same here, the White box needs to wall mounted or at the very least stood up to get rid of the heat this came from the engineers and hes right mines a lot cooler wall mounted( took all of 5 min under the desk He even gave me a template)

Associate
Same here, the White box needs to wall mounted or at the very least stood up to get rid of the heat this came from the engineers and hes right mines a lot cooler wall mounted( took all of 5 min under the desk He even gave me a template)

My installer didn't really seem to care that much, thankfully I'd read about the overheating modems before my install and I'd decided I would be wall mounting it where the previous modem went as soon as the installer had gone. However I was disappointed at the way he left it setup, with the modem on the carpeted floor with the HH3 on top of it - it's like he wanted it to overheat!

I didn't say anything as it wasn't going to be staying like that, after I'd wall mounted the modem the HH3 was removed and I got connected up to my existing Tomato'd WRT54GL.

Soldato

it is wall mounted, I did it from when it was installed after reading comments about the heat. The new one is even cooler I've noticed.
Dont know whether they are now but some engineers were leaving them flat with the HH on top and some people unknowingly did it like this too (June 2011)

I dont use the HH as its pants I use a Belkin N1 Vision. Its not the best but I like it due to it showing you the download speed on the display screen.

Hacked it but I didn't do the right command methinks.

Max: Upstream rate = 31684 Kbps, Downstream rate = 82580 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps

SNR down 18.4db up 22.5db

Last edited:
Associate
I cant get FTTC as i don't have a cab

This would mean you should be within 1.6 km of your exchange... which means you should have at least 50% of the sync signal... so on upto 8mb you should be getting that... if not your internal wiring is amiss or the distance to the exchange is longer than i am estimating

Associate
Since the NGA roll out is 25% FTTP and that is only cost in more rural areas since FTTC allows better cost in urban areas. They just announced that in FTTC areas you can order FTTP on demand (likely at a very high install cost due to you basically saying "give me 600 m of fibre from my cab please" but worth it for 300mbs goodness

But in your case you don't have FTTC and you are not likely to fall in that 25% of the nga roll out. Since you are on adsl there is no min speed that you are guarantied

you are getting three times the uk avg (ofcom figures feb 2011 7.1mbps) therefore sorry to say this your internet is too good at the moment, move further away for faster broadband :p

Soldato
They have updated the FTTC cabinet timetable for the first of March :D Will do some testing as sono as we get it :D (Which can't be soon enough as I desperately need a better upload speed for seeing my wife and little girl :))

Soldato
I think the BT speed estimator might give a hint.

A few weeks ago (last year!) I was getting estimates of ~30/~10. Now I get estimates of 40/10.

I had a similar change in the estimates and it does give a serious hint that 17a is probably there. It obviously doesn't help in finding out what likely benefit a future 80/20 upgrade will provide.

Associate
If you are out of DSLAM range for 100% sync then the max rate falls with the actual rate on fttc connections

Example 1:
40/10 ordered = 40/10 max and 40/10 achieved
Non 17a DSLAM cards, makes no difference since you have 40mb :D

Example 2:
40/10 ordered = 36/7 max 36/7 achieved
Line length is attenuating signal, ISP has profile set to max rate

Example 3:
40/10 ordered = (40+)/(10+) max 40/10 achieved
VDSL 17a cards, max rate is what the line could achieve, ISP has profile set to 40/10

In my case you can see on my picture 125/25 and my profile is 40/10. When this was installed it was 40000kbps/10000kbps max and achieved 39998/9999. Now this is because my PCP is less than 400m away.

VDSL SIGNALS DROP OF VERY FAST AT HIGHER FREQ!
So longer lines than 800m are going to make a bigger difference, that being said they are releasing 17a which is for 120/25 max so going for 80/20 is probably them being conservative again

Associate
Profile 17a here - on a moderatly short line (<100m )- however the quality of it isn't the best (but not complaining!)

Code:
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 31159 Kbps, Downstream rate = 104372 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:      31159 kbps        104372 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:    -   7.1 dBm          12.7 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  1.8     8.3     11.0     N/A    4.8     11.2    16.4
Signal Attenuation(dB):  0.0     7.0     9.6      N/A    4.8     11.2    16.4
        SNR Margin(dB):  23.1    22.5    22.6     N/A    24.4    24.2    24.2
         TX Power(dBm): -21.6   -39.3   -7.3      N/A    8.8     7.7     7.0

Code:
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 31179 Kbps, Downstream rate = 104372 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        24.3            22.6
Attn(dB):        0.0             0.0
Pwr(dBm):        12.7           -7.1

Soldato
OP
I think hes talking about attainable rate for a 100 meter line, Which looking isn't bad at all.

Looking at the stats I would say its closer to 150 meters if not more.

Back
Top Bottom