Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
Its a custom order DB3D - they’re usually white with grey trim :)

I’m fully aware better subs can be had, and for a lot less, but I absolutely detest gloss, and almost all high end audio equipment is glossy :(

Plus it’s relatively small - about the same footprint as my old REL HT 1003, yet dual 8 inch drivers and 1000W of power, so it digs really, really deep with no effort and 0 cabinet vibration. And I think it looks quite smart :)

Damn £2k for a sub. Sure looks the part, enjoy.

Soldato
I've been after a turntable upgrade for getting my living room renovation finished...I was starting to look at splurging on a Planar 8 or similar.....but this popped up just down the road, old couple were selling it, had been stored for 30 years, belonged to their father. It's pristine aside from that light scratch on the left, which isn't as visible in RL. Hasn't been cleaned yet, excuse fingerprints.

I was only getting one channel at first, took a bit of tinkering, but turned to just be the headshell wiring being a bit corroded. Took them off and scrubbed/scratched the oxidation off with some contact spray, and all good again.

Needs some new RCA cables, and I'm just about to order a solid oak plinth. As good condition as this veneer is in, it's still veneer :p

EVgPiBb.jpg

Might have to nag @signs for finding parts, as it'll need a new belt and oil etc. Has a Shure V15-III cart at the moment.

Associate
Adding a more solid plinth, replacing the springs and adding damping to them made a huge difference to the Thorens I had. It's a great turntable for tweaking.

Soldato
I've ordered an oak plinth already :) plus a new belt and some oil.

I just stripped, cleaned and reassembled the headcase, needs new wiring really as there's a lot of corrosion on the existing wires, will get to it. Also got an RCA socket bracket that I'm going to fix to the underside of the plinth so I can swap cables easily.

Sounds lovely as is, the imaging and separation is light years ahead of my RP1, although it's a little light on the low-end right now, but I haven't got it mounted properly yet (it's just sat on a padded stool :(). Will do some tinkering once the new rack and plinth arrive and I can get it setup properly.

Associate
I've been after a turntable upgrade for getting my living room renovation finished...I was starting to look at splurging on a Planar 8 or similar.....but this popped up just down the road, old couple were selling it, had been stored for 30 years, belonged to their father. It's pristine aside from that light scratch on the left, which isn't as visible in RL. Hasn't been cleaned yet, excuse fingerprints.

I was only getting one channel at first, took a bit of tinkering, but turned to just be the headshell wiring being a bit corroded. Took them off and scrubbed/scratched the oxidation off with some contact spray, and all good again.

Needs some new RCA cables, and I'm just about to order a solid oak plinth. As good condition as this veneer is in, it's still veneer :p

EVgPiBb.jpg

Might have to nag @signs for finding parts, as it'll need a new belt and oil etc. Has a Shure V15-III cart at the moment.

That's brilliant ! Thakker belts are the way forward mate , i have the dreaded "knock " on mine at the moment

Soldato

EVgPiBb.jpg

That is a good find. If you ever wanted to swap to an MC cartridge though, you would have a tough decision to make. The standard arm on the TD 160 has too heavy a mass to do justice to most MC's. Something like an RB300 would have to be fitted, which then makes the Planar 8 more appealing.
It would be a hard one to call though.

Soldato
That is a good find. If you ever wanted to swap to an MC cartridge though, you would have a tough decision to make. The standard arm on the TD 160 has too heavy a mass to do justice to most MC's. Something like an RB300 would have to be fitted, which then makes the Planar 8 more appealing.
It would be a hard one to call though.

I probably will upgrade it gradually, needs a bit of general servicing first, putting decent RCA in and new plinth.

Rega 300 and mount plate is fairly reasonable upgrade and there's a lot to be said for something I've restored and built myself.

Polished up the platter yesterday, and the new plinth arrives tomorrow. Can't decided if if it want to drill the plinth or just mount the RCA socket inside it....

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Other arm boards are available for the TD 160. I have the B version which didn't have the TP16 tonearm. My dad fit an SME 3009 way back in the 70's when he bought it. Beyond SME and Rega, you’ve got the likes of micro seiki and jelco who made some fine tone arms.

Soldato
Other arm boards are available for the TD 160. I have the B version which didn't have the TP16 tonearm. My dad fit an SME 3009 way back in the 70's when he bought it. Beyond SME and Rega, you’ve got the likes of micro seiki and jelco who made some fine tone arms.

Nice, I will be looking carts and arms in future. Still waiting for the belt and oil, although I've tested the bearing and it's silky smooth and silent still.

Plinth arrived, it's really nicely made and finished, better than I was expecting tbh. From a guy in Spain on Etsy called woodosound.

EKR7OLQ.jpg

Edit : As can probably tell from that photo if you zoom in, I just realized I managed to trash the stylus in the process of switching plinths. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm getting that new cart.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Denon DL110 on its way ( HOMC ). That should scratch the upgrade itch for a while....I'll try not to break it :D

Now just need my new AV rack to arrive....

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Nice, I will be looking carts and arms in future. Still waiting for the belt and oil, although I've tested the bearing and it's silky smooth and silent still.

Plinth arrived, it's really nicely made and finished, better than I was expecting tbh. From a guy in Spain on Etsy called woodosound.

Edit : As can probably tell from that photo if you zoom in, I just realized I managed to trash the stylus in the process of switching plinths. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm getting that new cart.....
The shure V15 is a superb cartridge. Ironically, extremely well suited to the likes of my SME 3009 due to it's high compliance. (High compliance cartridges suit very low mass arms) You can still buy new stylus for it from the likes of Jico who make a rather good upgraded part. (They call it an SAS stylus) You would need a Shure VN35HE stylus. I have the lower grade Shure M75ED type II cartridge on mine which benefitted greatly from the jico stylus upgrade.

That plinth looks great. I want to make my own as I also wish to retain my original dust cover but not got my carpentry skills that far up to scratch yet.

Associate
I'm spending £6000 on setting up my lounge now, but it will probably just be the cabinets, new carpets and sofa with that much, No TV and such gear for another 6-12 months.

I had the money to do it last year but lockdown happened and I couldn't get the fitters to come.

I was wanting to simply set up streaming from my main PC to a big screen & Pentium media PC, my lounge is only 2.8m wide, so with the furniture in distance from TV to Sofa would be <2.5m so I should only need a 50-55" TV for that.

Associate

Attachments

• wTqD6l2.jpg
    wTqD6l2.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 13
  • c9RUodk.jpg
    c9RUodk.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 13
  • mwWv2W5.jpg
    mwWv2W5.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 13
  • BtBox48.jpg
    BtBox48.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SVPwf1t.jpg
    SVPwf1t.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 13
  • q4QP0rf.jpg
    q4QP0rf.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1LM9p5K.jpg
    1LM9p5K.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Associate
Earliest date to get my fitted lounge built is August :(

Thats with having paid my deposit last May, and being top of the list by now, they were already booked up to July.

Cabinets, new carpets, sofa, TV, 4K streaming setup. Looking like it will take up to December to get it all done.

Waiting until now meant some really great new colours for the units, and a new range available as well, however Brintons no longer make the carpet I had wanted doh.

Associate
My modest setup..

Living room, Samsung 55" frame with Q70T soundbar (sub is in the hearth, works fine in there)

xHRDIbc.jpg

Kitchen, Samsung 55" frame with Q60T soundbar, TV is in the middle, looks at this the unit underneath has clearly been moved a little. Eventually I'll lower it a bit when we have the kitchen done.

Also have another 55" frame in the bedroom, love them :)

This is similar to what I'm looking at but mine will be green. But do I want to pay to have lighting put inside the cabinet or not hmmmm.

Associate
Just scored a Yamaha CDX-1050 for 75 quid on the well-known auction site.
Looked mint in the pics, powers up, but being sold as spares, as it was otherwise untested.
I wanted one of these when I was a teenager, now 25 years later, I have one!
It came today, and I started by changing the cracked mains plug, for one without visible internal metalwork. The drawer belt is a bit slack, which is to be expected from a player made in 1991, and the drawer needs a little flick sometimes to help it close.
Other than that, it works flawlessly, and I'd say on first hearing, it's got my Arcam CD72 beaten...

I'll slap a system pic up later :)

Back
Top Bottom