** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Why would a reviewer mention something that they aren't seeing in front of them. That doesn't make any sense to me. Video reviews are normally 6-12 mins long and they cover what needs to be covered and what they see in front of them. You dont see them discussing stuff they don't see in that small time frame. Pcper, JayTwocents, Paulshardware, Digitalfoundry etc... all gave similar reviews and high praise for the display. Hence I wouldn't say this was an indication that the reviewer was oblivious at all but rather he reported what he saw and experienced just like all the other reviewers have done.

If you wanted to buy this display tftcentral reviewed the XR34/X34 last year and their reviews are as detailed as you can get, pcmonitors have now also done the same. Both sites have reviewed these displays well and given it praise.

Anyway enough has been said, time to get the thread back on track.

TFT Central talk about the issues. Their monitor wasn't plagued with BLB for example, but they still talked about it, because they knew it WAS an issue with some IPS panels out there... they even went out of their way to explain about IPS and how this should not be confused with BLB. Now THAT was a quality and thorough review. Again, I'm not sure why you're advocating a puff piece review which really does come across more as an advertisement and which doesn't mention known issues... obviously not known to YOU because your monitor is perfect, but PLEASE try to forget that for one second because not everyone has been so lucky, not at all. I'm not bashing Acer or anyone right now... I am critiquing the review, which is talking about the monitor this thread is about. TFT set the benchmark for reviews IMHO, that's really all I'm saying, so why accept anything less when you're looking to spend the best part of £1K? I'm hardly miles off topic here, and I really don't understand why you've taken such issue with my opinion of it. Like I said, I've considered buying this myself... I do like the monitor, no question, it's a slick and innovative monitor with great features, I just feel in respect to reviews (and this applies to any product), consumers should always be given the FULL picture. What's wrong with that?? :)

Last edited:
I do not believe I got a perfect display as you have put it but the similar standard of display as most other X34 owners.

I also see no issues with the Hardwarecunacks review as an owner I found it a good representation of what I have bought and experienced first hand. It is also similar to other video reviews which can only go so deep due to the medium they are presented in.

You ask why I have an issue with your opinion, is that its not based on any user or owner experience. Also allot of your posts come across as moaning.

Last edited:
Anyone used one of these in the beta of The Division game with a single 980Ti. What kind of fps can you maintain. I'm thinking of picking one of these up tomorrow and wandering if i can still achieve 60fps consistently coming from 1200p then i dont need the gsync version.

Anyone used one of these in the beta of The Division game with a single 980Ti. What kind of fps can you maintain. I'm thinking of picking one of these up tomorrow and wandering if i can still achieve 60fps consistently coming from 1200p then i dont need the gsync version.

If i can remember think it was late 50's

Gsync means you don't need to hit a constant 60fps for it to be smooth. I was getting any where from 55-75fps on my 980Ti clocked @ 1490Mhz. I messed with some of the settings but cant remember which.

I would definitely say you should go for a gsync version if you intend on buying more nvidia cards or plan on keeping your 980Ti for a while, it makes a heap of difference and you end up not looking at the frame counter like you would otherwise. Yes its more money but it is so worth it.

Well i got the gsync version :) am quite happy with it, there is some bleed in the corners, though i don't think its that bad, I'm still not sure whether I should return. Gonna wait till the division comes out and play that, then if the bleed still bothers me will return under the 14 day refund period from where i bought it from, luckily local place. I've fiddled with the settings (damn the monitor menu is absolute cack), turned the brightness down to about 35 and stuck auto contrast on. Any other setting I should play with ?

Edit: actually i take that back, turned the lights off to play Elite Dangerous and damn the IPS glow/BLB is quite off putting, like 4 orange glowing corners. Taking it back tomorrow for refund. The mfg date on mine is Nov 2015. I hear the Jan 2016 ones are good but dont think we have those over here yet.

Last edited:

With everything turned on and at max settings between 50 - 60 fps with a few little bog downs with steam i.e on hospital roof if hiding behind the vent.

Over 20 hours on the betas if I wasn't running on screen fps display with the G-Sync I wouldn't have noticed I was under 60 fps.

Played a bit of BF4 and I was quite shocked the difference it makes. Really is a night and day difference.

In what way is it night and day?

I've found myself becoming increasingly sensitive to frame rates recently, so thinking of getting rid of my Philips 40" 4k panel and buying one of these. I like the styling of the Asus better, but not to the tune of the £100 price difference!

With everything turned on and at max settings between 50 - 60 fps with a few little bog downs with steam i.e on hospital roof if hiding behind the vent.

Over 20 hours on the betas if I wasn't running on screen fps display with the G-Sync I wouldn't have noticed I was under 60 fps.

I had to turn loads of stuff down with a TX/[email protected] and this monitor even with Gsync enabled. Framerate was a mess and some hefty drops

Yeah 3440x1440 21.9 would be a pita to run with high/ultra settings especially in some of the latest games i.e. ROTTR. Comparison to 4k, although only crysis 3:

Last edited:
More the game than anything else Nexus. its more that Gsync didn't seem to do anything as even at lower frames nearly everything has been very smooth for me. Without Gsync I couldn't use this monitor

Back
Top Bottom