** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Caporegime
Ok thanks.

One last question :p

Anything worth while/exciting in the 34" 1440 market coming out in the next few months? I presume that we won't be seeing HDR 34" 1440 till sometime next year....

Caporegime
Yeah I sort of want to wait for them too but... It could be quite a wait for 34" 1440 HDR monitors and there will be a lot of games and films out between now and then :p

EDIT:

Not to mention the price, monitors are always a rip of especially when it comes to new tech.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I sort of want to wait for them too but... It could be quite a wait for 34" 1440 HDR monitors and there will be a lot of games and films out between now and then :p

I can't see how 'HDR' can be achieved on any LCD monitor. Zonal backlight control or per-pixel control is required to meet the contrast demands of HDR. Given the contrast precision required for computing tasks (black text on a white background, for example) zonal control is really out of the question for LCD monitors which is why it has not been used thus far. So that leaves backlightless technology such as OLED - the first wave of HDR monitors will not be cheap. :p

Caporegime
Ah I see, no point in waiting at all then :p

Not to mention, iirc, the source material will have to be done with HDR in mind so I can see it being a long time until it becomes mainstream.

Caporegime
Nexus Im in the same boat as you really, coming from the same monitor but I would be going G-sync.

I just dont know if its going to be worth the price tag.

Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend more than £700 coming from our monitor but it all comes down to what you value in the end. If you could sell the 29um65 for £150-200, the x34 wouldn't be so bad.

This guy came from the 29ub65 to the x34 gsync:

Must say, it does look pretty impressive! :cool:

Main upgrades for me would be:

- freesync so no more faffing about with frame limiters, different vsync types
- smoother gaming
- size + res.
- slightly better motion clarity for when I can maintain relatively high FPS

I just really hope I don't have to play the lottery panel game again...

Soldato
Ah I see, no point in waiting at all then :p

Not to mention, iirc, the source material will have to be done with HDR in mind so I can see it being a long time until it becomes mainstream.

That's right. Although the sort of monitors that support HDR will be very impressive in many respects anyway, not least contrast which will remain exceptional regardless of whether content is HDR or not.

Soldato
Personally, I wouldn't be willing to spend more than £700 coming from our monitor but it all comes down to what you value in the end. If you could sell the 29um65 for £150-200, the x34 wouldn't be so bad.

- smoother gaming
- size + res.

Good review, I dont know if it will fit on my desk. lol The stand is big, and Im against the wall as it is.

Caporegime
That's right. Although the sort of monitors that support HDR will be very impressive in many respects anyway, not least contrast which will remain exceptional regardless of whether content is HDR or not.

Yup, true that! OLED FTW :D

That is the only reason I would ever go back to 16.9 monitors.

Good review, I dont know if it will fit on my desk. lol The stand is big, and Im against the wall as it is.

I should be ok, my desk is 75cm for the width although I do like to sit pretty far back from the monitor....

EDIT:

Just looking at the size of the base, 309mm?! :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I'm back on my X34, I just can't seem to let go of it!! Sooooooo soooo good for gaming, the extra Hz really do help with smoothness (4k is *such* a bitch to run, even with a pair of Ti's!!)

Associate

- smoother gaming
- size + res.

Good review, except that I don't agree there's not much between 1080p and 1440p - the difference is huge imho.

Associate
Well I'm back on my X34, I just can't seem to let go of it!! Sooooooo soooo good for gaming, the extra Hz really do help with smoothness (4k is *such* a bitch to run, even with a pair of Ti's!!)

I cancelled my RMA in the end and kept mine - absolutely love it, for gaming and for productivity.

Caporegime
Still torn on what to do :(

Even though 1440P will look sharper/more clear (higher PPI), games will look worse as I am going to have to run pretty much everything on low/off to get a consistent 50+ FPS and I am going to have to put up with that until probably August/September....

That and the damn base being sooooo big, I knew the screen would sit forward a bit but THAT much :eek:

Soldato
Still torn on what to do :(

Even though 1440P will look sharper/more clear (higher PPI), games will look worse as I am going to have to run pretty much everything on low/off to get a consistent 50+ FPS and I am going to have to put up with that until probably August/September....

That and the damn base being sooooo big, I knew the screen would sit forward a bit but THAT much :eek:

A 290 will do a pretty decent job at 3440x1440 I played crysis 3, tomb raider bf4 and gta 5 on very high if not highest settings apart from using 2x aa, 50 fps is fine with Freesync

Back
Top Bottom