** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Caporegime
I'm waiting till there's more options, I think I'd prefer a flat screen too.

The thing is though... I don't think we are going to see anything much different till possibly next year. AFAIK, every 34" IPS screen is using the same panel.

The only new one that I am aware of coming this year is Samsung's 34" VA 144HZ but it could have the same issues as the current one, banding and text not looking as sharp/clear plus some issues with the motion when going from dark to bright areas and vice versa.

I also don't think we will see price drop much as looking at the standard 60HZ dell 34", LG 34 etc., they are still between £500-650.

A 290 will do a pretty decent job at 3440x1440 I played crysis 3, tomb raider bf4 and gta 5 on very high if not highest settings apart from using 2x aa, 50 fps is fine with Freesync

Yeah those games might be fine with mostly high settings but the division and probably future games won't be. With my current settings on the division, a mix of high, medium and low, I am only getting about 45 outside and 50-60 inside, with 3440x1440, outside areas will drop to at least 30 so I'll have to drop various settings which will vastly reduce the IQ overall.

No doubt freesync will keep things smooth, it is the motion clarity at lower FPS that I am concerned about.

I hate decisions :(

Caporegime
Arkham knight is pretty incredible on acer x34 nexus :£ about 5 hours in and its amazing looking game and zero performance problems

Yup it is an awesome game in every way :cool:

Would games look noticeably worse running at 2560x1080 on these 34" 3440x1440 panels?

Caporegime
Yeah there doesn't seem to be a huge difference:

https://hardforum.com/threads/34-21...0-aoc-u3477pqu.1827296/page-2#post-1041126330

Decided I am going to hang on for a bit longer and wait to see what is what with future AMD/nvidia cards and any upcoming 21.9 monitors. Motion clarity really bothers me on my current 29um65 so I want FPS to be as high as possible and ideally at least 100HZ.

Doesn't seem to be selling too well at £660 any way so I expect the price to drop further.

That and I don't want to play panel lottery again, rather sad that we are afraid of buying monitors these days because of the poor QC and in some cases CS...

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so I've caved, it's my birthday tomorrow and my other half is going to buy me a XR341CKB, I just hope it's a "good one" ;)

I really hope I don't live to regret this decision!

Just in time for "DOOM Closed Beta" ;)

Last edited:
Associate
So a little update. Got used to the bleed and stuff a bit now and must say its an amazing monitor. Really happy with the purchase overall.

I was just flipping through the menu and noticed you can overlay an aimer on the monitor. I thought that was pretty funny. Dont know if anyone else noticed it!

vNpUIWp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom