Power to Mick Lynch

Associate
I wasn't aware I was your research intern.

It's all over the news and, in fact, is stated quickly in one of the Twitter posts you made on the first page... I assumed you listened to them fully?

Almost sounds like adversary tactics to avoid having to post your source for your "details" at all. Why else would you be so hostile to a simple request?

Aaah yes, Twitter, that Bastion of truth and honesty.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't aware I was your research intern.

It's all over the news and, in fact, is stated quickly in one of the Twitter posts you made on the first page... I assumed you listened to them fully?
Not sure why ure getting huffy with me?

I did listen to them, I didn't hear anything about unions demanding "no modernisation", you said it, not unreasonable to ask you to show me the source.
I feel people are misunderstanding the way I'm coming across.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So a question for those more in the know than myself. If current inflation is transitory and will calm down once things like the war in Ukraine are resolved and energy prices settle, what will happen to all these inflationary pay rises.

It sounds like a lot of unions are looking at the train strikes and starting to plan their own.

Once you give a large swathe of the population pay rises doesn't that in itself cause inflation?

Soldato
Yes.

We're "Building back better", and creating a "High skill, high wage economy". You can only do that with real world pay rises surely?

Of course. So we should give inflation level rises to everyone? Or just lower paid (how would we determine this)?

Almost sounds like adversary tactics to avoid having to post your source for your "details" at all. Why else would you be so hostile to a simple request?

Aaah yes, Twitter, that Bastion of truth and honesty.

Huh? This entire thread was started by the OP using these Twitter posts including the one I mention (videos of actual TV News interviews) so unless you are saying they have been doctored, I'm a little confused.

Also, why would the OP start a topic about the RMT strikes without fully understanding what they and the employers are asking for... I'd assumed the OP had researched this before posting :confused:

I'll go get them and come back to you... I would state them here but I would imagine you'll want to be able to get the sources

Associate
So a question for those more in the know than myself. If current inflation is transitory and will calm down once things like the war in Ukraine are resolved and energy prices settle, what will happen to all these inflationary pay rises.

It sounds like a lot of unions are looking at the train strikes and starting to plan their own.

Once you give a large swathe of the population pay rises doesn't that in itself cause inflation?

The same thing that has happened to them over the last 12 years of Austerity via the Tory Party.

Those most in need will be given just enough to keep them clinging to life with no real future.

Those on the breadline will be given nothing at all and just told to suck it up.

While those at the top will continue to "lord it over us" and have illegal parties for which they were laughably charged a token gesture of £50 fine.
And yes, sadly in a purely capitalistic world, payrises cause inflation as no company is ever willing to take on extra costs themselves and always refer them onwards to the final customer. - This is the fundamental problem with a "free market economy" ... The only thing really free about it is the total lack of regulation over profits vs wages and taking advantage of workers.

Soldato
OP
Of course. So we should give inflation level rises to everyone? Or just lower paid (how would we determine this)?

Huh? This entire thread was started by the OP using these Twitter posts including the one I mention (videos of actual TV News interviews) so unless you are saying they have been doctored, I'm a little confused.

Also, why would the OP start a topic about the RMT strikes without fully understanding what they and the employers are asking for... I'd assumed the OP had researched this before posting :confused:

I'll go get them and come back to you... I would state them here but I would imagine you'll want to be able to get the source
Does it say in any of those videos from a reliable source that union conditions are "no modernisation" , I didn't hear that. (Before you post the definitive sources)

Soldato

Bear with….on iPad…

1 - No, the inflationary rises remain unless you get a period of deflation equal to the period of inflation. Prices go up 5% one month, then 4,3,2,1 they have still gone up even though inflation is temporary. In UK case this is being exaggerated currently by the drop in value of the currency vs EUR and USD which is what we buy all our overseas stuff with.

2 - Who knows!

3 - This is apparently the lesson of the 70s, but with the current situation those asking for the pay rises are generally not doing it to buy more or stuff they didn’t consider buying before (inflationary) but to have the buying power the used to have (or to be blunt, so they stop using credit/foodbanks whatever to get by). Wage rises = inflation just ignores the economic nuances of complex systems. Although it’s lazy to say, some don’t care and don’t think about it. Of course the other way to replace the buying power would be to lower taxes rather than just increase gross pay but for sone reason this is never talked about (by the govt)

Associate
Bear with...

Stop this.

gxrb_bn-iwbd1o7gyrsxyojbeilmz45j7zmzcaxf77y.jpg

Soldato
Does it say in any of those videos from a reliable source that union conditions are "no modernisation" , I didn't hear that. (Before you post the definitive sources)

Cute but I didn't state that the union stated "no modernisation" on the video you posted..I said that modernisation that the employers wanted was mentioned in one of them (or at least an example of it) - 1st video starts off about it from the start and up until around 30 seconds in (Sunday working which I will mention further down).

From various sources which I'll link at the bottom (still haven't figured out how to do bullet points on phone browser with new forum so excuse the layout)

Some of the modernisation points including working Terms and Conditions below that employers want to change:

1. Scrap 35 hour max week for new employees.

2. Savings through 2,500 redundancies (RMT want guaranteed no compulsory redundancies)

3. Replacing ticket offices with automated systems (no definitive number available)

4. A move away from Sunday voluntary working (incorporating it into the shift plan as standard and not voluntary)

Others go onto working practices like changing how tracks are checked using new technology rather than humans.

https://inews.co.uk/news/rail-worke...ispute-why-train-strikes-uk-explained-1695743

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/building-a-better-railway

Now I don't agree with some of the proposed changes however your question to me was:

Does it say in any of those videos from a reliable source that union conditions are "no modernisation"

The Union rejected modernisation in Feb:

In mid February, RMT met with NR bosses and demanded:

- a cost of living pay increase
- a commitment to no compulsory redundancies,
- a commitment to protecting our pensions, terms and conditions.

SOURCE

Soldato
OP
Cute but I didn't state that the union stated "no modernisation" on the video you posted..I said that modernisation that the employers wanted was mentioned in one of them (or at least an example of it) - 1st video starts off about it from the start and up until around 30 seconds in (Sunday working which I will mention further down).

From various sources which I'll link at the bottom (still haven't figured out how to do bullet points on phone browser with new forum so excuse the layout)

Some of the modernisation points including working Terms and Conditions below that employers want to change:

1. Scrap 35 hour max week for new employees.

2. Savings through 2,500 redundancies (RMT want guaranteed no compulsory redundancies)

3. Replacing ticket offices with automated systems (no definitive number available)

4. A move away from Sunday voluntary working (incorporating it into the shift plan as standard and not voluntary)

Others go onto working practices like changing how tracks are checked using new technology rather than humans.

https://inews.co.uk/news/rail-worke...ispute-why-train-strikes-uk-explained-1695743

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/building-a-better-railway

Now I don't agree with some of the proposed changes however your question to me was:

The Union rejected modernisation in Feb:

SOURCE
Come on man, you messed up now you're flailing around. YOU said THIS. You haven't provided a source that confirms what you said. I'll hazard a guess, it doesn't exist.
And the rest of their conditions to be met - no modernisation and no compulsory redundancies?

Caporegime
Hands up everyone who's getting an 11% + payrise this year.
Everyone is in the ****, the public will very quickly get tired and withdraw any support for strikes. Not everyone can work from home.
And yes, we're on a race to the bottom.

We have already given everybody at our place between 8 and 14%. We got in early in January to try and stop people leaving for more money

Caporegime
And the rest of their conditions to be met - no modernisation and no compulsory redundancies?

Pretty sure I heard the Union say they would accept 7% and and the all the modernisation requested and voluntary redundancies to the 2000 needed. Problem is Network Rail have been told by the Govt they can't go above 3%. Stalemate

Caporegime

You do realise if inflation is 10% for this year and then drops back to 2% next year, goods dont go back to what they cost before this year? They will always be 10% more expensive. So you need that payrise to be in the same ball park.

Soldato
The same thing that has happened to them over the last 12 years of Austerity via the Tory Party.

Those most in need will be given just enough to keep them clinging to life with no real future.

Those on the breadline will be given nothing at all and just told to suck it up.

While those at the top will continue to "lord it over us" and have illegal parties for which they were laughably charged a token gesture of £50 fine.
And yes, sadly in a purely capitalistic world, payrises cause inflation as no company is ever willing to take on extra costs themselves and always refer them onwards to the final customer. - This is the fundamental problem with a "free market economy" ... The only thing really free about it is the total lack of regulation over profits vs wages and taking advantage of workers.

Are you typing these posts while handing out flyers for the Labour party? The country was **** when they ran it. We had Austerity, also known as spending what you can afford, due to Labour. The current issues weren't caused by Boris Johnson having a glass of wine in his office, they were caused by unprecedented global issues like a pandemic and a war in Europe. Give it a rest with pushing Labour and stick to the strikes.

Except that's the bare minimum of what they do, they're also fairly critical to the safe running of the trains, have to be trained in safety on the rail network, be able to assist in an emergency, act to some degree as security and a 101 other things.

You might as well say that a flight attendant is just a trolly pusher, and ignore their importance in the safe operation of aircraft, and the safety of passengers when things go wrong (both flight attendants and "ticket inspectors" can/do have to be able to make the decision to evacuate their respective modes of transport and get the passengers to safety in what can be extremely dangerous situations).

They do about as much as an average minimum wage worker behind a bar or at a supermarket. I used the trains from 2011 until 2020, they walk up and down the aisle, glance at tickets, and move on. When the train stops, they open the doors and close them using a button, their safety check is a glance up and down the side of the train to make sure no one is stood in the door. A driver could do that with CCTV or sensors. That literally would be about 99% of the role. It's a £20k a year job pushed up to £33k a year by the unions. Train driver is a £35k a year job at most. How is driving a train down a straight track with clear signals paid better than someone driving a double decker bus in London?

Last edited:
Soldato
Come on man, you messed up now you're flailing around. YOU said THIS. You haven't provided a source that confirms what you said. I'll hazard a guess, it doesn't exist.

If you're referring to the RMT rejecting modernisation - It's posted in the post above your:s right at the end.

In mid February, RMT met with NR bosses and demanded:

- a cost of living pay increase
- a commitment to no compulsory redundancies,
- a commitment to protecting our pensions, terms and conditions.

SOURCE

If an employer's modernisation includes redundancies and changes to terms and conditions and the RMT don't want that then that's the same as rejecting the modernisation.

At no point did I say the videos you posted had anyone saying they rejected the modernisation as you inferred.

I had simply asked earlier in the thread if you think that, over and above the pay increase, should all other RMT demands to the deal be met i.e. the working terms and conditions, redundancies etc which you replied stating.you weren't fully aware of the finer detail and you'd need to see the details... I had, wrongly, assumed this meant you were going to go look.

On a side note about the strikes - I can't help but think that this may go on for some time (from other unions too) as the current government may have this opinion of trying to break the unions a'la Thatcher and the miners... They'll see it as a challenge and a game where the everyday citizens end up bearing the brunt from the political posturing.

Back
Top Bottom