Power to Mick Lynch

Soldato
They have been offered 2% , 3% with strings, its derisory given inflation is circa 10%, and remember it's the utter goons running everything who have got us here.
Where are all the protesting voices when MPs get massive increases and milk expenses, at least these workers are a net gain to the country.
Yeah and what are nhs workers getting

Soldato
Context tho, it had to be after the Railtrack debacle.

yes after the government of that day has privatised track maintenance to jarvis and wondered why trains kept on coming off th elines and killing people when stuff is done on the cheap to maximise shareholder profits.

i saw the Potters bar rail crash unfold in front of me as my office was on the 3rd floor of a building called Albany gate which sits bang on top of the train station. Going down to the line to help people out of that smashed up carriage and seeing dead people wasn't the greatest day of my life, but it made one thing clear, which is privatising peoples safety will always end in disaster. Yet every single executive at that company walked away with millions and not a charge between them.

Soldato
I can see both sides tbh. I believe we have the technology where trains should be able to drive themselves, we don’t need conductors and most people can pre purchase tickets online or use the self service booths at stations. If we then didn’t have to pay drivers, conductors and booth operators you could in theory save a lot of expense. However as with all of these public sector or heavily unionised ex-public sector industries. The workers will strike for whatever is in their personal best interest and not what is in the interest of the service, which is a detriment to the customer.

The other side is of course that you’d make a lot of people redundant, and as nice of an idea as it is. “Dave the train driver can retrain as an ADAS software engineer and program self driving trains”. The reality is he can’t/won’t/is happy with his cushy job and will strike at a moments notice when it’s threatened.

Really they should develop the modernisation on the sly. When they threaten to go on strike just deploy the new technology and make them redundant. If they then reduce fares by say 10% and the service improves, let’s see which side the public is on.

Soldato
they probably get 150 applicants for each job.
I doubt that figure is even close. I've been applying for various new jobs over the past few month, and after following up on a few some of the people I spoke to said they've had well over 1000 applicants for some roles. They're not even what would be classed as good jobs either, but people are applying from all over the place - not just people locally.

Soldato
OP
Not sure what your reply has to do with my question :confused:.

Do we give them what they want and therefore also accept the 10% for teachers and 15% for nurses that is apparently being asked for?
Because it's relevant?, and no, a decent offer and fair negotiations would be a start.Why not offer 5% , that's a 5% pay cut, would that be ok?

Associate
I can see both sides tbh. I believe we have the technology where trains should be able to drive themselves, we don’t need conductors and most people can pre purchase tickets online or use the self service booths at stations. If we then didn’t have to pay drivers, conductors and booth operators you could in theory save a lot of expense. However as with all of these public sector or heavily unionised ex-public sector industries. The workers will strike for whatever is in their personal best interest and not what is in the interest of the service, which is a detriment to the customer.

The other side is of course that you’d make a lot of people redundant, and as nice of an idea as it is. “Dave the train driver can retrain as an ADAS software engineer and program self driving trains”. The reality is he can’t/won’t/is happy with his cushy job and will strike at a moments notice when it’s threatened.

Really they should develop the modernisation on the sly. When they threaten to go on strike just deploy the new technology and make them redundant. If they then reduce fares by say 10% and the service improves, let’s see which side the public is on.
I belive the cost and time it would take to automate the current railway would dwarf the cost of HS2. Which also isn't going to be automated.

Soldato
I belive the cost and time it would take to automate the current railway would dwarf the cost of HS2. Which also isn't going to be automated.
Long term it is the right thing to do. Also it’ll cost a load of money because any contract involving public money = private companies completely rinsing the public purse. See defence spending et al.

Their jobs are redundant because they can be done via technology. This isn’t some new event. When mechanised agriculture was invented millions of farm hands were made redundant. It’s painful, but necessary. It should happen at some point in the next 5 years.

Associate
Long term it is the right thing to do.

Their jobs are redundant because they can be done via technology. This isn’t some new event. When mechanised agriculture was invented millions of farm hands were made redundant. It’s painful, but necessary. It should happen at some point in the next 5 years.

We won't see a fully automated railway in our lifetimes.

Plus the benefit of automation is improved capacity rather than cost savings from wages.

Soldato
Because it's relevant?, and no, a decent offer and fair negotiations would be a start.Why not offer 5% , that's a 5% pay cut, would that be ok?

Not sure why you're getting huffy with me (your last "would that be ok" point.

You're missing my point so perhaps I haven't been clear.

You obviously feel very strongly about the Rail pay and conditions (not sure if you work for them hence your veracity in the discussion).

Do you think the pay/conditions that the union is asking for should be given in full?

Soldato
OP
You're missing my point so perhaps I haven't been clear.

You obviously feel very strongly about the Rail pay and conditions (not sure if you work for them hence your veracity in the discussion).

Do you think the pay/conditions that the union is asking for should be given in full?

I don't work in that industry, I simply feel very strongly that we are run by a corrupt cabal basically.

No, I think 5 or 6% would be about right & most would accept that for the greater good, that clear it up?

Soldato
We won't see a fully automated railway in our lifetimes.

Plus the benefit of automation is improved capacity rather than cost savings from wages.
Yeah with attitudes like that we won’t. There’s really no good reason why it shouldn’t be mostly automated in the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom