Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
See this piece of crap - Hyundai split shaft multi-tool:

embed

I got so fed up with it - the hassle and stink of 2-stroke fuel, it taking an age to start as it was so particular about the ratio of fuel to oil, heavy, noisy and just generally unpleasant to use. The garden was starting to suffer as I just didn't want to use it.

I had enough! Got the Makita 2x18V DUX60 split shaft multi-tool plus the attachments I need.

embed

I'll agree the mahoosive Makita bag is ridiculous but it'll keep the attachments and stuff together :).

I just remind myself that I don't need to do any front/lateral raises in the gym if I'm using my 'bag-o-crap' hyundai. So money saver and a workout in one.

Really makes the 100M or so of hedge/conifers much easier to do, and all without any swearing at all honest.....

Soldato
See this piece of crap - Hyundai split shaft multi-tool:

embed

I got so fed up with it - the hassle and stink of 2-stroke fuel, it taking an age to start as it was so particular about the ratio of fuel to oil, heavy, noisy and just generally unpleasant to use. The garden was starting to suffer as I just didn't want to use it.

I had enough! Got the Makita 2x18V DUX60 split shaft multi-tool plus the attachments I need.

embed

I'll agree the mahoosive Makita bag is ridiculous but it'll keep the attachments and stuff together :).

Hey I was considering the same type of gear for a pole mounted saw and some makita kit.

How much did it cost you/where best to get all the kit from?
What is the max reach of the pole saw with the extension on it?

I currently have a ryobi pole mounted trimmer and it's "ok" but that's it. If I have a pole saw I figure I should get one. Rest of my gear is makita and feels a lot better

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey I was considering the same type of gear for a pole mounted saw and some makita kit.

How much did it cost you/where best to get all the kit from?
What is the max reach of the pole saw with the extension on it?

I currently have a ryobi pole mounted trimmer and it's "ok" but that's it. If I have a pole saw I figure I should get one. Rest of my gear is makita and feels a lot better

I itemised the cost of each component earlier in this thread but I must have used @dlockers calculator because the final total was a bit wrong :D.

You could always buy the accessories gradually so that it's not such a big initial outlay. I needed them all with the exception of the brush cutter as I have the 18V strimmer already but the 2x18V brush cutter/strimmer will be a monster.

Here's the damage:

Makita DUX60Z Twin 18v Brushless Split Shaft Power Unit (Body Only) - £223
Makita 191E24-8 Split Shaft Extension Pole Attachment LE400MP - £60
Makita 196256-2 Hedge Trimmer Attachment EN401MP - £223
Makita 191T38-7 Pole Saw Attachment (300mm) - £144
Makita 191N31-5 Brush Cutter Attachment EM408MP - £79
Makita 195638-5 Carry Bag - £37
Makita 195150-5 Star Blade 230mm - £9
Delivery - £15
Total - £2,145 :D £790

I got it from https://www.fastfix.co.uk/ and they were the cheapest I could find. They do free delivery unless DPD defines your part of the UK not to be part of the mainland (i.e. anything north of Glasgow :rolleyes:).

I measured it with the extension and pole saw and base to tip it's 3.2m but from the trigger to the tip of the pole saw it's about 2.8m, so it would be close to that depending on your own reach. It's a bit heavy but well balanced. I'm be tempted to get another extension pole but I'm not sure if it's rated for that!

One note to add, the tool bag is great especially at that price but the pole saw attachment with it's bar fitted just about fits diagonally in the bag, but it's tight. Since that'll have chain oil in it's reservoir anyway I'll be storing that out of the bag.

Associate
twin 5ah18v makita & fast twin charger = c£200. So c £1k all in.

Which is why I lie to myself about my crappy hyundai is a dual purpose workout/hedge trimmer

Associate
Does anyone have any decent links or experience with doing their own window cleaning with the water fed pole brushes. Ideally I’d love it to reach the solar panels but I’m guessing the longer the pole the harder to control and also guessing it gets quite bendy

Soldato
twin 5ah18v makita & fast twin charger = c£200. So c £1k all in.

Which is why I lie to myself about my crappy hyundai is a dual purpose workout/hedge trimmer

Fair point and it's why I didn't get one sooner, hard to justify. I need the tools more and more etc.

Do you want another Hyundai unit and you can dual wield them in your garden like a maniac? :D

Associate
As I need to do a lot heavier vegetation clearing at both ground and side level, I use two Makita tools. Folding pole hedge trimmer 18v and metal blade, elephant handle brush cutter 2x18v with 5ah and 6ah batteries.

Soldato
You could always buy the accessories gradually so that it's not such a big initial outlay. I needed them all with the exception of the brush cutter as I have the 18V strimmer already but the 2x18V brush cutter/strimmer will be a monster.

Here's the damage:

Makita DUX60Z Twin 18v Brushless Split Shaft Power Unit (Body Only) - £223
Makita 191E24-8 Split Shaft Extension Pole Attachment LE400MP - £60
Makita 196256-2 Hedge Trimmer Attachment EN401MP - £223
Makita 191T38-7 Pole Saw Attachment (300mm) - £144
Makita 191N31-5 Brush Cutter Attachment EM408MP - £79
Makita 195638-5 Carry Bag - £37
Makita 195150-5 Star Blade 230mm - £9
Delivery - £15
Total - £2,145 :D

Calculator £5. Oh, wait, you didn't get one of those. :cry:

Soldato
I don't have it but a buddy of mine has been hands on with it and it is a bit of a beast, they even do a self propelled version. I think its got a metal deck unlike most battery mowers for more of the consumer market.

It would be massively overkill for my back garden. Personally, I'm going robot mower once the garden gets closer to its final form. Sod manual mowing...
My garden is going to be relatively small, could probs get away with the cheapest bosch lawn mower or something. For me i want convenience and ease of use. I would love a robot one but i have a dog and i can see that being a nightmare if i dont notice he's **** in the garden

Soldato
My garden is going to be relatively small, could probs get away with the cheapest bosch lawn mower or something. For me i want convenience and ease of use. I would love a robot one but i have a dog and i can see that being a nightmare if i dont notice he's **** in the garden
There are two forms of robot mower:

The ‘daily’ wire guided mower which runs fully autonomously but you have to set a guide wire around the perimeter.

The ‘charge and chuck on the lawn’ mower which uses computer vision to map your garden and mow. These you don’t leave out 24/7 and are more akin to a traditional mower that you’d put out once a week.

The latter is probably more suitable to what you need but they are very expensive and not as automated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Avoid FFX on ebay. I ordered a circular saw with 24h delivery and noticed later the estimated delivery was off, so checked the delivery details and it says 10 day despatch time. I have never known such a long despatch time on ebay and they usually despatch within hours. So I messaged them to ask and no reply after a day. Emailed again as I needed the saw this week and still no reply. Looked at their feedback and there are many such cases. Wish I'd have paid a few £ more and gone with Abbey tool who I usually use for my Dewalt tools and never had an issue.

Now I have the joy of a possible returned or damaged item turning up that some of the negative reviews mention. Then even more joy when I message them to arrange a return and get no reply. Gah, always check the feedback.

Soldato
Avoid FFX on ebay. I ordered a circular saw with 24h delivery and noticed later the estimated delivery was off, so checked the delivery details and it says 10 day despatch time. I have never known such a long despatch time on ebay and they usually despatch within hours. So I messaged them to ask and no reply after a day. Emailed again as I needed the saw this week and still no reply. Looked at their feedback and there are many such cases. Wish I'd have paid a few £ more and gone with Abbey tool who I usually use for my Dewalt tools and never had an issue.

Now I have the joy of a possible returned or damaged item turning up that some of the negative reviews mention. Then even more joy when I message them to arrange a return and get no reply. Gah, always check the feedback.

That's a shame as I've always got quick postage when buying from their stores and the same a couple of years ago for Metabo gear, although 9-10 it is easier for me to pop into one and buy.

Soldato
That's a shame as I've always got quick postage when buying from their stores and the same a couple of years ago for Metabo gear, although 9-10 it is easier for me to pop into one and buy.
I have bought a few bits from them in the past and it was fine, so not sure if this is a recent issue. It seems to be just certain items with a long despatch time as other feedback suggests they got it fast. Its the not responding to emails that is a red flag to me though and completely destroys my trust in them. Its also very common judging by the feedback, plus other issues like insufficient packaging and damaged/used items with parts missing and the seller doesnt reply. I'll definitely be checking who I buy from more carefully in future.

Soldato
I have bought a few bits from them in the past and it was fine, so not sure if this is a recent issue. It seems to be just certain items with a long despatch time as other feedback suggests they got it fast. Its the not responding to emails that is a red flag to me though and completely destroys my trust in them. Its also very common judging by the feedback, plus other issues like insufficient packaging and damaged/used items with parts missing and the seller doesnt reply. I'll definitely be checking who I buy from more carefully in future.

Yeah, that isn't good and a shame.
I haven't had the need previously to email them and instore the service is good, but they should take notice of their feedback and address that.

Soldato
Vacuum suggestions anyone?

I was tempted by a DeWalt until I read they are noisier than a jet engine. I really want something quiet. Was thinking about a Fein 25L.

It doesn't have all the facilities I want, but at least it is supposed to be quiet.

Soldato
Vacuum suggestions anyone?

I was tempted by a DeWalt until I read they are noisier than a jet engine. I really want something quiet. Was thinking about a Fein 25L.

It doesn't have all the facilities I want, but at least it is supposed to be quiet.

Most shop vacs aren't quiet. They're designed for suction and cheapness.

I have the metal Numatic: https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/numatic-nqs350-22-1200w-14l-cleancare-dry-p92428 which I've had for years:
* gets used for everything - kitchen refit, pond build, garage floor refit, bathroom shower fitting, any drilling, any woodworking (power tools and hand tools) etc..
* bags are good but 9L
* powerful with hi/lo
* noisy
* heavy
* can act as a heater given the air coming out of it (even with a fresh bag) is hot.
* can be removed from the trolley thing (new versions have wheels as part of the body)
* hose can connect to output allowing it to be used as a BBQ forced air lighter and to blow dust out of areas (you can use a separate hose to then suck the dust up)

I built a guitar with hand tools/power tools and used 9 bags.

The advice from my late father inlaw (builder/handyman) was to buy a great vacuum and hand tools rather than power tools.

Only issue I have with it is it's not a wet vac for the two or three times I could have used that in 14 years.

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
Most shop vacs aren't quiet. They're designed for suction and cheapness.

I have the metal Numatic: https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/numatic-nqs350-22-1200w-14l-cleancare-dry-p92428 which I've had for years:
* gets used for everything - kitchen refit, pond build, garage floor refit, bathroom shower fitting, any drilling, any woodworking (power tools and hand tools) etc..
* bags are good but 9L
* powerful with hi/lo
* noisy
* heavy
* can act as a heater given the air coming out of it (even with a fresh bag) is hot.
* can be removed from the trolley thing (new versions have wheels as part of the body)
* hose can connect to output allowing it to be used as a BBQ forced air lighter and to blow dust out of areas (you can use a separate hose to then suck the dust up)

I built a guitar with hand tools/power tools and used 9 bags.

The advice from my late father inlaw (builder/handyman) was to buy a great vacuum and hand tools rather than power tools.

Only issue I have with it is it's not a wet vac for the two or three times I could have used that in 14 years.
If you stick a dust cyclone on it you can probably get away without a bag, although it is only really practical when you are working in one spot.

Soldato
Honestly, I might just go for the DeWalt. I can't really get any information on noise. I know the DeWalt comes in at 80db but then so does the Karcher WD6P, which is twice the price!! The Fein is supposed to be 66db.... if you trust the manufacturers information, but I am not sure I do.

Back
Top Bottom