Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
See this piece of crap - Hyundai split shaft multi-tool:

embed

I got so fed up with it - the hassle and stink of 2-stroke fuel, it taking an age to start as it was so particular about the ratio of fuel to oil, heavy, noisy and just generally unpleasant to use. The garden was starting to suffer as I just didn't want to use it.

I had enough! Got the Makita 2x18V DUX60 split shaft multi-tool plus the attachments I need.

embed

I'll agree the mahoosive Makita bag is ridiculous but it'll keep the attachments and stuff together :).
Just this morning ordered the Dewalt 18v Strimmer after being impressed by the hedge trimmer, exactly the same position as you my Husqavara strimmer was an absolute pain to use, mixing fuel, not starting or running properly, noisy.........
Hopefully make life a lot easier.

Soldato
I've got a DeWalt strimmer (DCMST561N-XJ) and its very overkill for my back garden. It's the model that folds in half which is handy for storage, I typically use it on speed 1 of 2 which is more than enough.

Soldato
Just this morning ordered the Dewalt 18v Strimmer after being impressed by the hedge trimmer, exactly the same position as you my Husqavara strimmer was an absolute pain to use, mixing fuel, not starting or running properly, noisy.........
Hopefully make life a lot easier.

Funnily enough I did that a while ago - got a 18V strimmer because it's just so much better than a petrol variant.

I'm kicking myself - when we first moved here I looked at the 2x18V Makita multi-tool system with the attachments I needed but was put off by the cost, so went with the Hyundai one I posted earlier. That I have now learned was a mistake.

Anyway, now you just need to decide what type of strimmer line to use - round, square, star, twisted and or cored!

Soldato
See this piece of crap - Hyundai split shaft multi-tool:

embed

I got so fed up with it - the hassle and stink of 2-stroke fuel, it taking an age to start as it was so particular about the ratio of fuel to oil, heavy, noisy and just generally unpleasant to use. The garden was starting to suffer as I just didn't want to use it.

I had enough! Got the Makita 2x18V DUX60 split shaft multi-tool plus the attachments I need.

embed

I'll agree the mahoosive Makita bag is ridiculous but it'll keep the attachments and stuff together :).
How many thousands was this tho?

Soldato
Nowhere near that much! Admittedly, it was about three times the cost of the Hyundai crock of crap that I bought a few years ago, but my man maths tells me that I'll recoup that money in saved petrol and oil ;).
It was thousands wasn't it? :D

Does man maths include hyper inflation of petrol and oil?

Soldato
:cry: :D

I really want it but I know it is a bad decision for me.

You could always buy the accessories gradually so that it's not such a big initial outlay. I needed them all with the exception of the brush cutter as I have the 18V strimmer already but the 2x18V brush cutter/strimmer will be a monster.

Here's the damage:

Makita DUX60Z Twin 18v Brushless Split Shaft Power Unit (Body Only) - £223
Makita 191E24-8 Split Shaft Extension Pole Attachment LE400MP - £60
Makita 196256-2 Hedge Trimmer Attachment EN401MP - £223
Makita 191T38-7 Pole Saw Attachment (300mm) - £144
Makita 191N31-5 Brush Cutter Attachment EM408MP - £79
Makita 195638-5 Carry Bag - £37
Makita 195150-5 Star Blade 230mm - £9
Delivery - £15
Total - £2,145 :D

Soldato
You could always buy the accessories gradually so that it's not such a big initial outlay. I needed them all with the exception of the brush cutter as I have the 18V strimmer already but the 2x18V brush cutter/strimmer will be a monster.

Here's the damage:

Makita DUX60Z Twin 18v Brushless Split Shaft Power Unit (Body Only) - £223
Makita 191E24-8 Split Shaft Extension Pole Attachment LE400MP - £60
Makita 196256-2 Hedge Trimmer Attachment EN401MP - £223
Makita 191T38-7 Pole Saw Attachment (300mm) - £144
Makita 191N31-5 Brush Cutter Attachment EM408MP - £79
Makita 195638-5 Carry Bag - £37
Makita 195150-5 Star Blade 230mm - £9
Delivery - £15
Total - £2,145 :D
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edit: totes worth it

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've got a DeWalt strimmer (DCMST561N-XJ) and its very overkill for my back garden. It's the model that folds in half which is handy for storage, I typically use it on speed 1 of 2 which is more than enough.
Exactly what I ordered, was planning on going bare unit as I've got about 5 or 6 batteries but for £40 more I got the bundle with charger and 5AH battery and I can claim a free 850 XJ impact driver from DeWalt, online these are £120 bare unit so if I sell it for a fraction of that I'd have got a kit bundle strimmer for the same price as a bare unit strimmer for very little hassle :D

Soldato
Have you tried the lawn mower by them? I have handfil of dewalt batteries and lots of their tools but moving to a house with garden so looking at lawn mower, Strimmer, hedge cutter and debating between theirs and stihls domestic models

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Have you tried the lawn mower by them? I have handfil of dewalt batteries and lots of their tools but moving to a house with garden so looking at lawn mower, Strimmer, hedge cutter and debating between theirs and stihls domestic models
Not tried the mower, I've been really impressed with the hedge trimmer though, my only complaint would be the blade length is a touch short for my hedges but cordless is a million times better and quicker than petrol or corded trimmers so a minor compromise.

Soldato
I don't have it but a buddy of mine has been hands on with it and it is a bit of a beast, they even do a self propelled version. I think its got a metal deck unlike most battery mowers for more of the consumer market.

It would be massively overkill for my back garden. Personally, I'm going robot mower once the garden gets closer to its final form. Sod manual mowing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom