Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Not sure I'd count Dyson as 'British'. Sure lots of R&D is done here but he offshored the holding company in the months after the Brexit vote after endorsing vote leave and all the manufacturing is done offshore.

I thought this was relevant to this Dyson conversation…

Soldato
Polesaws at dawn! Fight!

embed
I went down a right Instagram rabbit hole yesterday but did catch a small clip of a bloke battling Milwaukee/Dewalt gear. Basically cable tying them to each other and sticking the trigger. I may have dreamed it tho tbf.

Soldato
I went down a right Instagram rabbit hole yesterday but did catch a small clip of a bloke battling Milwaukee/Dewalt gear. Basically cable tying them to each other and sticking the trigger. I may have dreamed it tho tbf.

I've seen something similar on youtube with drills.

What were you suspended for this time?!

Soldato
How do you find that pole saw with the extended shaft?

I was thinking about buying one.

It's pretty good I reckon, a few comments I'd make:

- it's a bit "bendy" with the extension but this is to be expected when there's the weight of the batteries and motor at one end and the chainsaw and oiler at the other. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of when lifting it up. I am considering adding another extension pole to improve the angle of cutting and reaching higher but that'll make it even more bendy and may stress the drive shaft of the unit, but the manual doesn't say it can't be done.
- the automatic chain oiler needed a little fettling to get the right feed amount, it wasn't feeding at all to begin with.
- it tackled all the branches I put it up against, I was surprised how quickly it went through them (new chain helped here).
- it has a little hook on the end to help bringing any stuck branches down.
- compared to the 2-stroke I was using previously it's a delight to use - no fumes, constant noise or the awkward positioning because of the hot engine.

One thing I was acutely aware of was the angle (;)) at which to tackle branches at - you don't want to be under a branch when it comes down as they are deceptively damn heavy and can fall in unpredictable directions. It might sound pretty obvious but I wouldn't have the polesaw totally upright when cutting and make sure you have the space to make a sharp exit when any awkward branches fall.

Here's a little game of Spot The Difference :D. A few weeks ago when the weather was better I set about some overhanging branches that were getting too low and heavy and starting to compete for light with the monkey puzzle tree.

embed

Less than an hour later I'd made a big improvement but also made a lot more work on the ground delimbing and cutting the branches plus some shredding.

embed

It's difficult to see because of the million shades of green but that was a lot of branches taken down!

If you need a polesaw and are in the Makita ecosystem already say to definitely get one, just wish I had earlier.

Don
Not heard of this before but @D-Ranged mentioned it in another thread

Screw size gauge:

Great and simple idea for identifying screws/bolts to buy more or next size up etc

Associate
Looking to get a battery powered strimmer but not quite sure where to start & what brand etc. Looking to get a decent battery system but as I only do DIY level stuff (Shelves etc) I don't think i'll need anything too high in price. Any recommendations? I've been looking at Einhell at present

Soldato
Ryobi is the king of cheap tools.

My exp with Einhell leads me to tell people to stay clear. Cheap plastics, loud, lack power and poorly built.
I bought an Einhell sander for a single job, using my landlord's money, and still was grossly disappointed. I guess there's a gap between cheap and not worth using.

Associate
Looking to get a battery powered strimmer but not quite sure where to start & what brand etc. Looking to get a decent battery system but as I only do DIY level stuff (Shelves etc) I don't think i'll need anything too high in price. Any recommendations? I've been looking at Einhell at present
I do mainly heavy brush cutting so that means metal blade, U hand and harness and 2x18v from Makita.

Soldato
It's pretty good I reckon, a few comments I'd make:

- it's a bit "bendy" with the extension but this is to be expected when there's the weight of the batteries and motor at one end and the chainsaw and oiler at the other. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of when lifting it up. I am considering adding another extension pole to improve the angle of cutting and reaching higher but that'll make it even more bendy and may stress the drive shaft of the unit, but the manual doesn't say it can't be done.
- the automatic chain oiler needed a little fettling to get the right feed amount, it wasn't feeding at all to begin with.
- it tackled all the branches I put it up against, I was surprised how quickly it went through them (new chain helped here).
- it has a little hook on the end to help bringing any stuck branches down.
- compared to the 2-stroke I was using previously it's a delight to use - no fumes, constant noise or the awkward positioning because of the hot engine.

One thing I was acutely aware of was the angle (;)) at which to tackle branches at - you don't want to be under a branch when it comes down as they are deceptively damn heavy and can fall in unpredictable directions. It might sound pretty obvious but I wouldn't have the polesaw totally upright when cutting and make sure you have the space to make a sharp exit when any awkward branches fall.

Here's a little game of Spot The Difference :D. A few weeks ago when the weather was better I set about some overhanging branches that were getting too low and heavy and starting to compete for light with the monkey puzzle tree.

embed

Less than an hour later I'd made a big improvement but also made a lot more work on the ground delimbing and cutting the branches plus some shredding.

embed

It's difficult to see because of the million shades of green but that was a lot of branches taken down!

If you need a polesaw and are in the Makita ecosystem already say to definitely get one, just wish I had earlier.

Thanks I ordered one! Know where to get spare chains for it?

Associate
Anyone had experience using the (basic) battery powered Erbauer Circular Saw?
My nephew bought a small erbauer set about 5 years ago inc the saw, abused then royally and they're all working still.

I've got drill, impact, sander, multi tool, SDS& hand held vac.

The vac is pish, the rest are decent.

Spares are almost impossible to get though

Last edited:
Soldato
My nephew bought a small erbauer set about 5 years ago inc the saw, avoided then royally and they're all working still.

I've got drill, impact, sander, multi tool, SDS& hand held vac.

The vac is pish, the rest are decent.

Spares are almost impossible to get though

Same here got a few Erbauer power tools mixed in with my Dewalt and been great but as you said zero spares .

Soldato
This, invest in the Freud Diablo circular saw blades designed for battery circular saws, they transformed my Milwaukee circular saw, it's now my most used tool, I hardly ever use my battery Mitre saw, it's awful, wish I hadn't got the battery one now, 18V just isn't powerful enough :o:p I am going to try the Freud blade designed for battery mitres too before I sell it...

Update on this, I had a load of Skirting and Architrave to cut so I bit the bullet and ordered the 254mm Feud blade designed for Battery saws, what a difference it makes! I was dreading having to use the mitre saw again as last time it was a pain to use cutting up the MDF, this time a breeze! I know they always say the blades make the saw and it really does :p definitely worth investing in decent blades.

Back
Top Bottom