Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Caporegime
Another Bosch Rotak 37 died on me yesterday, third in 13 months. Motor burnt out on the original which was over 10 years old, replacement shorted at the handle after 2 months and the motor died on that replacement yesterday. No idea why I bought another Bosch last year given how unreliable everything they make is these days but it's now been replaced by a Hawksmoor from Toolstation.

Initial impressions are it's way better built, plastic isn't as flimsy, wheels are much bigger making it far easier to manoeuvre and the slight power increase makes a difference too. No idea how long budget stuff like this is meant to last but I'll take a year.

Soldato
Really tempted to upgrade my Milwaukees. My brother has the "next tier" of impact/drill-driver, and where my Milwaukee impact struggled with a tech screw, his just went through like butter.

However, all my really major DIY is done. So it is too late now.

Moral of the story - spend a bunch straight away so you have the tool when you need it :D

Soldato
Vacuum suggestions anyone?
Here's a list of brands that I know of to help your research:

BLACK+DECKER
Bosch
Daewoo Electricals
Dyson - British
Gtech - British
Hisense
Hoover
Miele
Numatic - British
Samsung
Shark
Vax - British

I've marked the British ones if you want to support the country!

Soldato
Here's a list of brands that I know of to help your research:

BLACK+DECKER
Bosch
Daewoo Electricals
Dyson - British
Gtech - British
Hisense
Hoover
Miele
Numatic - British
Samsung
Shark
Vax - British

I've marked the British ones if you want to support the country!
You're such a weird poster.

Soldato
Not sure I'd count Dyson as 'British'. Sure lots of R&D is done here but he offshored the holding company in the months after the Brexit vote after endorsing vote leave and all the manufacturing is done offshore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure I'd count Dyson as 'British'. Sure lots of R&D is done here but he offshored the holding company in the months after the Brexit vote after endorsing vote leave and all the manufacturing is done offshore.
Well fair comment, but this is par for the course these days and I would say it is at least British controlled. According to Copilot "Dyson has a global workforce of approximately 14,000 employees. Of these, around 4,000 are based in the United Kingdom."

Yes, there is a big R&D centre in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well fair comment, but this is par for the course these days and I would say it is at least British controlled. According to Copilot "Dyson has a global workforce of approximately 14,000 employees. Of these, around 4,000 are based in the United Kingdom."

Yes, there is a big R&D centre in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
It's not British controlled, they are literally headquartered in Singapore, all UK operations are controlled by a company based in Singapore. James Dyson even offshored himself for awhile and wasn't even UK resident, from what I understand he is back in the UK after being called out for being a massive hypocrite for a few years (well justified IMO).

The company is controlled from overseas, the manufacturing is done off shore, less than 30% of the staff are based here, that's not 'British' in my book.

EDIT: Dyson used to be British, but it is just not anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
The company is controlled from overseas, the manufacturing is done off shore, less than 30% of the staff are based here, that's not 'British' in my book.

EDIT: Dyson used to be British, but it is just not anymore.
OK I take your point. Whilst it may be controlled by a British person, I would agree it's questionable whether the company can really be described as properly British. However, this is a sign of the times.

Soldato

Yes, that really was an outrage. He just didn't like the Germans. Hardly reason to do what he did.

Soldato
yes wouldn't consider dyson - hypocritical brexiter, exploiting seemingly unlmited power use, you can have on cordless vacuums, versus my wired Bosch

Another Bosch Rotak 37 died on me yesterday, third in 13 months. Motor burnt out on the original which was over 10 years old, replacement shorted at the handle after 2 months and the motor died on that replacement yesterday. No idea why I bought another Bosch last year given how unreliable everything they make is these days but it's now been replaced by a Hawksmoor from Toolstation.

Initial impressions are it's way better built, plastic isn't as flimsy, wheels are much bigger making it far easier to manoeuvre and the slight power increase makes a difference too. No idea how long budget stuff like this is meant to last but I'll take a year.
thanks - father replaced an old 43 rotak clutch mechanism failed irreparably , with a 37 rotak last month ~£160, but my B&D is on it's way out and hawksmoor seems 'just' £100

Vacuum suggestions anyone?
I'd be looking for something with a carpet cleaning/injection tools to give a dual purpose

interesting police haul

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a pointing trowel that's made in Norwich, but the owner lives in Beccles is a vegan and believes the Earth is flat.

Cheers

WzJqCDN.gif

Back
Top Bottom