Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
buy cheap - buy twice

For a DIY-er, there's little point going for the expensive stuff. They're made for trade, so you're throwing money at longevity/durability which you'll never make use of.

As long as you've got the features you need, I'd stick with the cheap stuff. My Black & Decker combi Drill has lasted me 10 years of DIYing, my £43 Energer SDS easily survived the 18 hours I spent chisling up my tiled floor etc etc.

Caporegime

I ended up with a Hitachi, so light compared to others and still going strong after 4yrs

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dgl-jg-18v-2-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/6832k
Latest model has a huge battery and 55Nm of torque only beaten by the Dewalt. Why you would buy an Erbauer at same price is beyond me!

Last edited:
Caporegime
For a DIY-er, there's little point going for the expensive stuff. They're made for trade, so you're throwing money at longevity/durability which you'll never make use of.

As long as you've got the features you need, I'd stick with the cheap stuff. My Black & Decker combi Drill has lasted me 10 years of DIYing, my £43 Energer SDS easily survived the 18 hours I spent chisling up my tiled floor etc etc.

Depends what you are doing, nothing worse than wishing you paid a bit more for something stronger when you are driving in 140mm screws.

Associate
Looking for a cordless drill with battery for around £80.
Mainly Diy'ing...laying the loft flooring and putting up the coat rack on the wall (into brick)...Any suggestions? Would like a set of drill bits in that price also if possible.

Heard DeWalt and Makita are the best but im not sure if theyre out of my price range.

Used my cousins Makita, it had the hammer action as well, which was excellent so this would be on the list as well as a feature.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Soldato
Associate
Can you afford an extra £10?

A poster above highly recommended this to me when i was looking
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dgl-jg-18v-2-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/6832k

Ah, just saw you'd like some drill bits included. How about this one?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bosch-18V-L...ries+241-Accessory-Kit-PSB-1800-Li-2/p/150534

If you collect in store give me a shout as i can get an extra 10% off so can send you the email voucher. That would get you down to £80ish

Hi that would be great. Is the 10% off in either wickes or screwfix?

Thank you for looking for me.

Soldato
Just wickes unfortunately. I managed to get a trade account even though my trade has nothing to do with building!

Comes in great when doing jobs around the house though!

Just send me a trust message with your email and i'll send it on.

That goes for anyone else in here thats shopping at Wickes :)

Associate
Just wickes unfortunately. I managed to get a trade account even though my trade has nothing to do with building!

Comes in great when doing jobs around the house though!

Just send me a trust message with your email and i'll send it on.

That goes for anyone else in here thats shopping at Wickes :)

Hi
Thats great, fair play.

Thank you very much, im looking now and that full set from Wickes is probably what i would go for as it covers everything id possibly need.

I will look into sending a trust email.

Will teh 10% be on top of the 10% that ends today? ( see the link) :)

Associate
Thank you, it worked and after much discussion with my cousin who is a plasterer...with Marv's voucher i went for a DeWalt - from Wickes for £90...comes with 1 battery, charger and a Case its the D795.
I will get some drill bits from Toolstation for £13 also.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom