PPI Claiming

Soldato
cant you just phone the lenders and give them your name and address and say you don't have account numbers but are sure you had ppi and want to complain about miss selling

which lenders?

Might have had a bit of luck though. Phoned Halifax as I knew I had a mortgage with them yonks ago. Turns out I had one for 25 months and I'm 100% PPI was on it. Had a legal and general PPI policy running at the same time to cover off the mortgage, so the PPI on the mortgage itself through Halifax was totally redundant. Hopefully get a little bit back. 40k mortgage over 25 months, even with 16 years worth of compound interest isn't going to be life changing lol

Still, even a few hundred would be nice

Soldato
Christ, some of the posts in this thread.

You don't remember what accounts you had with who but you're sure that you were miss sold PPI? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

I know that PPI was a crap product, I know that due to the way it incentivised that bank staff used a lot of shady practices to pitch the product, but there is a hell of a lot of people just cashing in at this point. I'm not accusing any posters of here of doing this, but just because you bought something you didn't understand, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was miss sold. If you were told you had to have it, that is of course a different matter, but if you made a choice to take it then that should be on you.

Sorry if I cause any offense, but as somebody who worked in a retail bank for a brief stint I just don't see the problem being half as bad as it is being claimed.

Soldato
Most places now offer free credit checks (Experian for example) but they only tend to go back 6 years.

To answer a few other questions above:

1) Yes it covers mortgages, anything that could have had payment insurance.
2) Yes you can ring lenders and ask them, but some may charge an admin fee of £10-25.

I remembered all my lenders, so just did the resolver online facility and answered 'don't know/can't remember' to most things. At no point did I ever fill in any account numbers because I couldn't remember them.

Soldato
Christ, some of the posts in this thread.

You don't remember what accounts you had with who but you're sure that you were miss sold PPI? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Hang on, you do know some products were bundled with PPI without the customers knowledge?

If you don't ring round, how on earth do you find out?

In my case, whenever I was asked for PPI I ALWAYS refused it. However, turns out a halifax mortgage I had 16 years ago had it on. Who's to say I had a loan years ago with it on without knowing.

Plus, I think the way the financial sector has behaved over the past two decades deserves to be shafted.....even though the tax payer bailout is funding it. If there's any PPI with my name on it, I'm having it.

Soldato
In my case, whenever I was asked for PPI I ALWAYS refused it. However, turns out a halifax mortgage I had 16 years ago had it on. Who's to say I had a loan years ago with it on without knowing.

Would you not notice it on your statements? I guess that's the part I don't get. But if that's the case, then you deserve your money back and they deserve a financial kicking for it - I'm not defending shady selling practices, that needs to be stamped out, just its impossible for the banks at this point to prove the product was correctly sold, so they're basically forced into accepting damn near every claim.

Soldato
Hang on, you do know some products were bundled with PPI without the customers knowledge?

If you don't ring round, how on earth do you find out?

Precisely. As far as I was aware I'd always refused it, so to my mind anything I'm getting back now was 'sold' in an under handed way. I was young and on a good salary but wanted everything yesterday so I used credit to get it.

I simply don't give a rats behind what anyone thinks to me claiming, so far I'm 16k up and that's all I care about.

Associate
Most places now offer free credit checks (Experian for example) but they only tend to go back 6 years.

To answer a few other questions above:

1) Yes it covers mortgages, anything that could have had payment insurance.
2) Yes you can ring lenders and ask them, but some may charge an admin fee of £10-25.

I remembered all my lenders, so just did the resolver online facility and answered 'don't know/can't remember' to most things. At no point did I ever fill in any account numbers because I couldn't remember them.

I did the same still have some to do

Soldato
I used the Resolver website to make a claim against Egg bank, I had a loan with them years ago. Egg confirmed I had PPI and I remember when I took the loan the guy told me I had to have it.

Had a bad start so far, Resolver sent the claim to Barclays for some reason, Barclays kindly forwarded it on to Citi Bank on my behalf.

I had another loan before the Egg loan but can't for the life of me remember the name of the bank, I don't think it exists anymore, sounded similar to HSBC.

Associate
I used the Resolver website to make a claim against Egg bank, I had a loan with them years ago. Egg confirmed I had PPI and I remember when I took the loan the guy told me I had to have it.

Had a bad start so far, Resolver sent the claim to Barclays for some reason, Barclays kindly forwarded it on to Citi Bank on my behalf.

I had another loan before the Egg loan but can't for the life of me remember the name of the bank, I don't think it exists anymore, sounded similar to HSBC.

HFC ??

Soldato
is it worth ringing the likes of V12 finance?

also, royal bank of scotland is the financial powerhouse behind most credit cards and loans. Assume a single phone call to them can check off lots of agreements.

Associate
is it worth ringing the likes of V12 finance?

also, royal bank of scotland is the financial powerhouse behind most credit cards and loans. Assume a single phone call to them can check off lots of agreements.

cant you do resolver letters for anyone you can think of

Associate
mine aren't working out. Barclays are saying I gave them wrong address. I gave them all my addresses for last 20 years. marks and Spencer said they would now cancel ppi but its from years ago so long shut down but they don't say anything else.

Soldato
So I've done the claims guy free checks and so far got back 3 positives from Barclays. I've had quite a few negatives also as I always said no to ppi on everything I've ever had, I've not been out of work since I was 18 (now 43) and never saw the point to ppi, if I had issues with repayment I'd go to bank of dad!

What's the next thing to do, take it to revolver to complete without claims guys? I don't think it will be much as the loans it was in we're only £2-3k over 2/3 years.

Associate
Just to say thanks guys for starting this thread. I was sceptical about the whole PPI thing but I used resolver to make a claim against my bank and just got back some money which I will put towards a car for work. I never even thought I had any payment protection but turns out I did on a credit card many years ago.

Cheers GD!

Back
Top Bottom