Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can't say I care. I have a budget for a PC part - if I can afford it, great. If I can't, then it's only a PC part.

If you want to see prices come down forget the EU referendum - just stop buying the overpriced stuff.

Caporegime
I hate the disagree with you.

For example, OcUK buy items in USD currency.

Day 1 - OcUK agree to pay $200 for a GPU. The Purchase Order could be raised on a day that the rate is 1.50 and the REAL cost to OcUK is £133.33

Day 3 - the stock lands with OcUK at a rate of 1.50 still, cost is still estimated at £133.33... payment of these items are due to supplier in 30 days time from now (Day 33)

Day 4 - customer pays £140+VAT. £6.66 profit expected.

Day 5-31 - rate remains at 1.50
Day 32 (23rd june voting day) - rate crashes to 1.35

Day 33 (24th June today )- invoice for good delivered on Day 3 and some sold on day 4 is due for payment but the rate has dropped to 1.40 so $200 is actually £142.85. So OcUK selling to you on Day 4 is a loss now.
Note OcUK will still ahve some stock available, and the cost is £142.85 not the expected £133.33, so OcUK adjust pricing to reflect the changed GBP cost.

Day 33 - OcUK adjust the pricing up on stock in warehouse as they paid more in ££££ than the expected price when the goods were delivered.

This is the fundamentals of how it works, companies can lose thousands of pounds in exchange rate changes. It is always a risk when items are purchased in one currency and sold in another and payment is 30 day or 60 days after delivery. The cost price in the selling currency is not fixed until its paid for. So the goods in the warehouse can change in cost value until paid for...

It's good of you to explain thank you.

Soldato
I hate the disagree with you.

For example, OcUK buy items in USD currency.

Day 1 - OcUK agree to pay $200 for a GPU. The Purchase Order could be raised on a day that the rate is 1.50 and the REAL cost to OcUK is £133.33

Day 3 - the stock lands with OcUK at a rate of 1.50 still, cost is still estimated at £133.33... payment of these items are due to supplier in 30 days time from now (Day 33)

Day 4 - customer pays £140+VAT. £6.66 profit expected.

Day 5-31 - rate remains at 1.50
Day 32 (23rd june voting day) - rate crashes to 1.35

Day 33 (24th June today )- invoice for good delivered on Day 3 and some sold on day 4 is due for payment but the rate has dropped to 1.40 so $200 is actually £142.85. So OcUK selling to you on Day 4 is a loss now.
Note OcUK will still ahve some stock available, and the cost is £142.85 not the expected £133.33, so OcUK adjust pricing to reflect the changed GBP cost.

Day 33 - OcUK adjust the pricing up on stock in warehouse as they paid more in ££££ than the expected price when the goods were delivered.

This is the fundamentals of how it works, companies can lose thousands of pounds in exchange rate changes. It is always a risk when items are purchased in one currency and sold in another and payment is 30 day or 60 days after delivery. The cost price in the selling currency is not fixed until its paid for. So the goods in the warehouse can change in cost value until paid for...

Here's an idea.

Pay for your goods the day they are ordered like everyone else ;)

Man of Honour
what if the exchange rate comes back to how it was by the time OcUk settles its bill, will those customers who are paying extra today get a rebate?

Soldato
Here's an idea.

Pay for your goods the day they are ordered like everyone else ;)

Everyone else? Put it this way, I'm the UK Channel Manager for Antec, and ALL UK customers have 30 days credit terms with us. Not one of them pays on receipt of goods.

99% of UK resellers who are capable of buying from manufacturers direct will have credit accounts with them all.

Soldato
It's good of you to explain thank you.

This is nonsense. Why would OcUK expose themselves to the risk of a loss. What actually happens is they ensure the margin items are sold at will cover likely exchange rate fluctuations, hence the price increase now as the currency market is volatile. Yes, there may be fluctuations in the margin they make, but I'd be shocked if there is ever loss incurred.

Soldato
June 16th closed at 1.40, today is at 1.38

Any particular reason you went back to a week last Thursday? It's a bit like Climate Science picking the appropriate start date to show the change you want, right? So sure, go back and pick a date where Leave pulled ahead in the polls to try and show your point that Leave hasn't depressed the pound. That makes sense. Also, 1.38 is not 1.4.

It is entirely reasonable to suppose that if we had voted Remain, it would currently be around 1.5 or higher which is where it was before Leave started to pull ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom