Prime hydration

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£11 for a bottle of fizzy/sugar drink being pushed via social media trends and suddenly becoming a must have.

What is the world coming to.

There will never be a situation where it is reasonable to charge£11 for basic fizzy drink, not even good fizzy drink at that.

Give them a pack of ginger beer and transform their minds.

If they refuse the ginger beer, then throw them in the bin.

Then drink the ginger beer yourself AHA see what I did there?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, it's easy to sit here and pontificate but when I was a kid I wanted a yo-yo and a Tamagotchi, and we all got suckered in by Pogs and Pokemon. My parents struck a good balance with it all but kids are kids.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Aye, it's easy to sit here and pontificate but when I was a kid I wanted a yo-yo and a Tamagotchi, and we all got suckered in by Pogs and Pokemon. My parents struck a good balance with it all but kids are kids.
None of those were expensive though, you could get a Tamagotchi for a tenner at Argos, they were always in stock, Furbys were the same, Pogs were a couple of quid with a slammer max. Back then everything was available if it was popular, and it wasn't expensive either. Consumerism existed, but it was under control, unlike now. The two eras cannot be compared.

Soldato
None of those were expensive though, you could get a Tamagotchi for a tenner at Argos, they were always in stock, Furbys were the same, Pogs were a couple of quid with a slammer max. Back then everything was available if it was popular, and it wasn't expensive either. Consumerism existed, but it was under control, unlike now. The two eras cannot be compared.
TBF Prime is "meant" to retail for £2, it's just people gouging because they can. I'm sure the same happened back in the day with Tamagotchis etc - I remember them being hard to get hold of for a time.

Caporegime
Scalping happens everywhere, don't fall for it. Especially for a product that has real function beyond peer pressure.

At least buying a PS5 at its peak you get to play the games that no other means able to do.

Also, don't put a penny into the pocket of that Logan Paul, the guy is out to scam his user base, see his NFTs, his crypto, his "zoo game".

Man of Honour
Tamagotchi official ones anyway were hard to come by and so were furbys. Even back then you had the must have thing at Christmas that no one could get hold of.

Caporegime
Parents who don't step in with a discussion about malicious influencers are going to regret it eventually. There's always been sycophantic fans, but the level of perceived contact between fans and their content creator is far more perverse than it's ever been and I think that it's likely going to end up with a lot of psychological issues as a result.

Suspended
Parents who don't step in with a discussion about malicious influencers are going to regret it eventually. There's always been sycophantic fans, but the level of perceived contact between fans and their content creator is far more perverse than it's ever been and I think that it's likely going to end up with a lot of psychological issues as a result.

There is an element of truth to this.

I was never big on celebs anyway, but when we were young it felt like they were in a completely different World and bar the odd interview on TV or in magazines you wouldn't get to know too much about them as people.

You weren't able to message them directly or comment on their content.

Now kids idolise people who make hours of content every week. They put a lot more of themselves out there in to the World.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

A lot of parents probably have little knowledge about the subject themselves. I've been shocked lately by just how much some of the younger ones at work are influenced by this stuff - my generation at that age might have had its naiveties but nothing like this.

That said I remember in my late teens Sunny Delight being the big thing and people paying relatively high prices for it back then, though nothing quite like this with Prime.

Soldato
I remember when I was growing up if I'd asked for a more expensive pair of trainers I was usually given the line to encourage suicide :eek:

Would you jump off a cliff if your friends all were :cry:

I guess these days that would probably be reported as child abuse or something though. it's a good counter argument to the fear of missing out mentality that seems to be pushed on this generation.
My parents had no truck at all with fads, and it definitely rubbed off on me. I still distinctly remember at the age of about 12 (even though that was mumblemumble years ago) a school friend boasting about how his trainers had cost £100. And I was stood there thinking "Why on earth are you boasting about wasting such a huge amount of money?

Soldato
Kids will be thinking in a few years time "why the heck did I need a drink which costs 8 times more than Coke"

In the 2nd half the 80s, everyone wanted a Mr Frosty, including me. Those who actually got one for either birthday or Christmas, said it was the biggest let down,

Problem now is some parents give toys all year round. Having a Jan birthday was (and still is)crap as had 350 days to think what I wanted for Christmas and less than 20 for birthday. Sometimes my parents gave me something smallish instead of Easter eggs at Easter.

Soldato
Soldato
My parents had no truck at all with fads, and it definitely rubbed off on me. I still distinctly remember at the age of about 12 (even though that was mumblemumble years ago) a school friend boasting about how his trainers had cost £100. And I was stood there thinking "Why on earth are you boasting about wasting such a huge amount of money?

I particularly like people who spend tens of pounds on branded flip-flops.

I really don't understand what value they get out of that one- they're flip-flops, for God's sake!

Caporegime
My 15 year old daughter has an empty bottle of prime on her shelf like some sort or ornament. She got it right at the beginning so paid RRP.

We were all the same when at school. Wanting to be popular. Pro Yo's, Tamagochi's, Tazzo's, Pokemon, Panini stickers, having Kickers school shoes etc etc.

The son of someone I know has been buying the drinks for £7 (at least a few weeks ago) from a garage that sells it and reselling at school for £14, fair play to him!

At my daughters school some were buying empty bottles off Ebay and filling them up and selling them on for profit. Going to be hustlers in the future for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom