Pro Cycling Discussion 2017

Soldato
Looks to me like the BMC rider actually moves to his left against the SunWeb rider who's trying to evade? riders further back were already jaffed.

Soldato
Soldato
Absolute farce yet again. Cycling needs to look to other options for the races footage and policing. Especially grand tours just makes the sport look even more ridiculous.

Great ride by pinot and dumoulin. They will both likely put time into quintana at the tts. So to minimise their losses on a day like today that suited quintana is good for the race.

Soldato
Can't believe what has happened today, set down to watch the final 30 km or so with excitement building for the Blockhaus climb. Totally gutted about what happened for the Team Sky lads and Adam Yates. I kinda knew that G wouldn't be able to match Nairo up the climb but to stay in touching distance with the TT looming would have been a great result. Now that's all in tatters. My allegiance has now switch to Tommy D!

Interesting read from Orica Scott DS slamming Movistar for not waiting for the crashed riders:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...Twitter&utm_medium=Social#vR9uQEhsA7Myt0OV.99

I'm torn on this, on the one hand, I remember Bradley Wiggins slowing for Albert Contador in 2012 TdF when he got a puncture on some tacs left on the road, but then again, if the same had happened to Movistar, I'm fairly certain that Sky would have ridden on too. Is pro-cycling losing its traditions of good sportsmanship?

Soldato
It's a tough one - "G" was asked about it and he said everyone was racing for the bottom of the climb and position so in reality you wouldn't expect people to neutralise the race for a few minutes. On the other hand - there was no break up the road, everyone was generally grouped up so you could say that an agreement could be suggested but I guess it was too late in the stage to organise something so quickly.

I see both sides of it but in reality, it's a sporting event, you have to press home any advantages you are given and it was just unlucky that it was Sky who got caught in most of it

Soldato
Moto's fault but BMC and second sunweb rider are to blame for it being so bad, the first sunweb rider in the train does well to avoid it, the second rider is more over on the left, has a clear view of the moto with more time to react, yet still hits it hard! His initial reaction is fast enough to have moved further over, he seems to move over and then check his movement when it's still clear on his right (could've moved further over).

Still seems an utterly stupid place for that moto to stop... They're normally struggling to get ahead of the peloton on the flat/fast parts, not sat at the side obstructing clear parts of the road, that could be what caught so many out, they didn't realise he was stopped. Also there was more than enough room at the side for the moto to be on the grass, not the tarmac.

Racing 'incident' but with something like that caused by a race moto (responsibility of race organisers) there should be some ruling that the race results for those rides involved are 'neutralised' in some way?

Or you could say some call goes up to the front to neutralise and they're paced by the commisars car or even neutralise the whole stages results, providing the riders at the front know as soon as it happens? But then you have to decide what kind of incidents are neutralised or not, as well as the circumstances as you'd get teams crashing at any opportunity when things are not going their way...

Have to agree on the other point though, much of the sportsmanship recently seems to have gone out of pro cycling.

Edit: Read somewhere that Pinot's ride on Strava still has the power data, might be worth hunting down.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw that and surprised the neutral service just pushed him on without trying to check he was okay... but this is the US and they wouldn't want to do more than their job role for fear of being sued :/

Soldato
Not Giro but Tour of California

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39939952

OH MY.....that was like watching a boxer after getting Ko'd - he's SOOOOOO lucky he didn't get nailed by the other riders!!!!

Blimey, he was completely out of it. As you say he was unbelievably lucky not to get ran over by another rider. I don't know if it's bravery or insanity that riders natural instinct is to just get back on the bike and rejoin the race, when you get limp wristed footballers roll all over the floor and get carried off when breathed on.

Soldato
Great ride by dumoulin. Tightens up that 2nd to 5th. Can't see dumoulin holding on and winning overall when it comes to the last week unfortunately, but certainly will keep it interesting until then at least.

That crash at toc didn't look Good, as BennyC said must be concussion, guy looked completely out of it.

Soldato
Can't see dumoulin holding on and winning overall when it comes to the last week unfortunately.

Out with you! I had my heart broken last year when my favourite Dutchy tried to smooch a snow bank.
This year I have my 2nd favourite Dutchy 2mins up in pink and I'll be damned if I am getting hurt again :(

In fact, Dumoulin is now my favourite Dutch lad. Guy is an absolute beast on that TT bike. Genuine man crush.

Soldato
Out with you! I had my heart broken last year when my favourite Dutchy tried to smooch a snow bank.
This year I have my 2nd favourite Dutchy 2mins up in pink and I'll be damned if I am getting hurt again :(

In fact, Dumoulin is now my favourite Dutch lad. Guy is an absolute beast on that TT bike. Genuine man crush.

Same, but can see him getting absolutely destroyed in that final week, the team just isnt there to give him the support he needs against Movistar, unless someone like Sky offer assistance.

Must say though the bunny hop by Quintana was quite impressive. Thought the Trek car was going to smash that kerb at one point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nearly lost that much
Awesome! ;)

https://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/re...in-storms-race-lead-stage-ten-time-trial.html

Awesome ride from Dumoulin, better than expected. Incredible rides by Thomas and Yates too, they were both going to nail it though to be fair, just relieved Quintana dropped a chunk of the time he gained from the moto crash. Nibbles snuck through a great TT time too, not many people seemed to notice/talk about? Really hints that he's in some fine form, if he can hold it into the 3rd week. You heard it here first! ;)

OH MY.....that was like watching a boxer after getting Ko'd - he's SOOOOOO lucky he didn't get nailed by the other riders!!!!
Brutal to watch, we all know how hard cleats are on slopes but to see a pro like that alarm bells immediately rang that he was quite concussed! With the closing speed of those other riders that was so damn close, he was totally oblivious to them! :o

Back
Top Bottom