Project Bentley

Took the old girl out tonight to get fuel and warm everything through since it hadn't been driven really for a few weeks. Ran like a dream. We apparently got a hair over 13mpg on that last tank, which was virtually all urban mileage.

Still haven't fully sorted the cruise control wiring, got an all-new fix to wire in (this weekend if I get time). And we appear to have lost a slightly concerning amount of engine oil, with obvious signs of leakage around the rocker covers and in the valley pan. At least it's leaking rather than burning (no blue smoke).

Last edited:
Well, I think the phrase rhymes with "clucking bell"....

/Blackadder

Wiring to the cruise control ECU is fine. We're pretty sure that the fault is at the road speed sensor on the passenger side of the gearbox. Nothing else can really have been disturbed in the gearbox replacement.

I ******* hate Lucas parts :rolleyes:

Wherever you go on these cars you run right up against the buffer of Lucas, The Prince Of Darkness™.

It's a good thing that they started making footballer cars, otherwise these ****s would be out of business.....

Last edited:
Wherever you go on these cars you run right up against the buffer of Lucas, The Prince Of Darkness™.

It's a good think that they started making footballer cars, otherwise these ****s would be out of business.....

It could be worse...

Lucas could have been Italian. :D

They may have discovered electricity, but I've never driven an Italian car where they've managed to get it to do anything reliably.

Quick update:

Oil was leaking from the drivers side rocker cover. I say 'leaking'....'flooding' might be rather more appropriate. The valley pan was turning into a swimming pool. All sorted now. Also sorted is the cruise control, which was in fact the road speed sensor connection in the side of the gearbox as suspected.

And all was sweetness, until I found out that the boot wasn't locking again. So now I've got to revisit something that I fixed almost dead-on two years ago.

****ing ****y **** ****.

:rolleyes::(:mad:

I like how you keep this thread updated. It puts things into perspective when all us drivers of 'normal' cars are having a bad day. :p

I remember seeing a much less than mint early 90s red Turbo R several years back in my local Tesco and thinking that someone was truly its bitch. You can't abuse these cars and get away lightly!

Keep on keeping on, sir. :)

Boot trigger sorted again, apparently it all spent the last two years walking itself right out of alignment (thanks Bentley, for giving everything oval-shaped mounting holes....:rolleyes:). Still not locking on the fob, but works off the key so I'm putting that down to lack of use. It'll work itself back into service.

Long time no update. Best remedy that.

The old girl just breezed through the MOT. Gary got one of our mates to attend to some paint that was bubbling up on two of the wheelarches (front left, rear right) - he found filler, no shock. I'll grab some photos at the weekend, he's made a beautiful job of it. And the air conditioning is working for the first time in forever, having swallowed about three times more refrigerant to re-gas it than anything the AC guy has ever come across!

Cruise control is back to being intermittent, which I can't quite fathom out. And as I noted in the 'what did you do your car today' thread I really have to do something about the bumpers, they're pretty tatty now.

£1140.

The latest amount spent on this car. And it only went in with an oil leak!

In all seriousness, it was a bit worse than that. We had an engine oil leak, a hydraulic oil leak, a misfire and a few other little faults. Most of them are now sorted, but one major fault has cropped up - the engine will not run right. It's acting as if either a) the timing is very over-advanced or b) the plug wires are attached in the wrong order. And since the distributor cap has just been replaced....At any rate, I've emailed the garage with the firing order and a link to an online technical library which has PDFs of the R-R/Bentley technical documents. Hopefully it won't take too much fathoming out.

Quick update from Gaz over text message this morning - "The leads on the car are carbon cores and number 2 wasn't working at all. Number 3 was out and I don't know which other one was miss placed".

At least it's an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom