Project GreenGasm

Permabanned
OP
lol... ummm... quite a lot.

OcUK order for WC bits including 1 rad, 2 res, various fittings and other things = £1000
Case = £650
Motherboard = £500
CPU = £1400
RAM = £200
GPUs = £2200
SSDs = £1000 (on top of the ~£800 of SSDs I already have that are going in it)
HDD = £300
EK waterblocks and fittings = £450
Extra rads = £300
Fans = £200
PSU = £150
Coolant = £50

So about £9200 total and that doesn't include peripherals & monitors that I already had which are worth about another £1700.

Permabanned
OP
Especially as the game I'm mostly playing at the moment is Tower Wars which would likely run perfectly fine on a dual core cpu with iGPU... yeah... overkill.

But once in a blue moon I like to power up a new game at top settings and reliably hit 144Hz @ 2560x1440 or 4k 60Hz... or use lightroom/premier pro... it certainly makes a difference there :)

I also happen to spend wayyyy too much time in front of my PC... and I'm very sensitive to speed improvements as even an overclocked top of the line PC with the fastest SSD is slower than me... every bit of improvement makes my experience more pleasurable.

Plus I just like the project. This is the first time I've really had the chance to make a no-compromises build. The reason it has "only" 2 gpus is because I don't see the benefit of 3 or 4 way SLI and I'm very sensitive to micro-stutter... so usually even prefer single GPU usage if it's powerful enough. Thankfully the HB bridge or dual-flex combos on the Pascal series have made a big improvement to micro-stutter. It's the first SLI setup since the GTX690 with minimal micro-stutter... in fact, of everything I've played since getting them, I have been unable to detect micro-stutter.

The only card that did that previous was the GTX690... perhaps because it had something similar to the HB bridge built onto the board.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Looks crap. Clearly over compensating for something :rolleyes:

Personally, I think you should just find a children's charity to donate to instead of blowing this money on a flashy computer system. Better yet, why don't you just sell the parts or give it away.

Ps... I'll have it off you. Oh and more pics ;):D

Permabanned
OP
Hehehe...

A lot of the parts arrived today... unfortunately the 480 rad was severely damaged. Thankfully OcUK are advance-shipping me a new one. The UV cathodes for the reservoirs were also both shattered internally, so they are being replaced and some numpty in the warehouse managed to send me 16/10 flex tubing instead of 13/10 flex... argh... oh well, still managed to get it leak free as it's a tight fit and cable tied haha.

I only built it as a bit of a bodge to test bending hard tubing.

For a first try, I'm quite happy with it... I made a mistake or two but was able to sort it well. It's not perfect... I'll spend more time on the full thing to get it right as I could have made some simple adjustments to tube length to get it right but didn't need to for the test build.

Loop is CPU-only at the moment with a single Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ with 4x 140mm ML Corsair fans in push pull and I am already very impressed with this radiator alone.

The 560 and 280 for the basement are black ice nemesis gtx which are supposed to have even better cooling capacity... this is going to be a very quiet very fast system :D :D :D

I'm glad I swapped the 420 rad to a 280 for the front as a 420 this width would have interfered with a top 480 and I think a top 480 with 280 will look better than a top 360 with front 420.

I've set up a quiet fan profile at the moment that only ramps up above 30% fan speed and 50% pump speed at 60C.

At idle, the CPU sits at 23-24C and under full load it just peeps over the speed-up profile... so sits at a pretty even 60C under extended aida64 testing.

That's with a 4.2GHz overclock... so I'm easily going to be able to use 4.4GHz 24/7... possibly 4.5 or 4.6... I know I can achieve a bootable 4.6GHz - but don't know if I can get it stable. 4.5GHz is bench-stable, but ran rather hot with the Corsair AIO cooler.

The upgrade from Corsair AIO to this relatively small loop (rad wise, the same size - only a bit thicker) is MASSIVE.

Also looks quite nice... I'm happy with the colour combo and the res mounted UV cathodes are really going to make it sparkle :D

I want to use one of the reservoirs as top entry though... so I need to get one of those extension tubes as I'm getting quite the cyclone in there on a higher pump speed. Plus the trickle is marginally annoying - although not unpleasant.

Please excuse the poor quality phone pics... I'll take proper ones when the system is fully built.

IMG_0322 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

IMG_0316 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

IMG_0311 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So am I correct you have 3x 140mm fans mounted on the front?

I thought you could only mount 120mm fans in the front.

One thing I find frustrating about this case is configuring it and knowing what parts to select!

That's correct... you just have to buy the correct mounting option.

Both case labs direct and their european supplier offer it. Just select the 420mm front-radiator mount.

For the eurpean supplier, they don't have it as one of the drop-down box options - but it's available in the accessories section of the site.

It's only the top that's limited to 120mm fans... a bit of a shame as there is plenty of space for 4x140mm fans up there if they had only made the holes bigger.

But no big deal... I won't be running out of cooling performance and I'll just keep the 120mm fans running a bit slower to keep the noise levels down.

Soldato
Was on the verge of buying one of these today only to discover this case is 675mm deep!

My desk is pretty deep but even my current Primo sticks out a tiny bit.

This case would stick out like a sore thumb! That's a no go for me.

After discovering that I've totally lost interest in this case now. :(

I'd rather get the Primo Elite next month. That looks very tasty indeed. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup... it's quite deep... but I have an 800mm deep desk, so no problem for me.

Just measured my desk and its 820mm deep! :D

After looking at various videos today I do really like the look of the Primo Elite. 4mm thick aluminium chassis (even Caselabs ain't that thick!) with enough space for a 560,480+360 rads at the same time. It does look very stylish and modern too.

A definite contender for sure.

Permabanned
OP
Just measured my desk and its 820mm deep! :D

After looking at various videos today I do really like the look of the Primo Elite. 4mm thick aluminium chassis (even Caselabs ain't that thick!) with enough space for a 560,480+360 rads at the same time. It does look very stylish and modern too.

A definite contender for sure.

It does look quite nice... but I'm not all that sold on the looks. I actually prefer the looks of the Caselabs case and at the price of the Primo Elite... I would choose the SMA8... but that's personal preference.

After doing some reading regarding overclocking BW-E... I have been able to drop the voltage requirement for 4.5GHz by upping the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages to 1.2v and dropping the memory speed.

1.35v on the CPU is something I could consider for 24/7 usage.

Early stage on the stress test - it's now sitting at over 20 mins after start:

B8UhXAO.png

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Holey Moley! This is a mega build! Ill be watching this one with interest.

Also out of interest have you seen JayzTwoCent "Skunkworks" build on YouTube as its uses a similar case?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Couldn't you fit a 360 in the front as well as what you chose in the roof?

Back
Top Bottom