Project; Turbo GSXR Slingshot

Associate
OP
Bit of an update from the last few weeks.

The plenum has been skimmed so its in line where it bolts to the head, welding had warped it by ~1mm.

That's all been made up with the injectors, sealed and bolted to the head. As I can't fit a bolt in the top slots of the plenum due to the injectors I had to turn down some cap nuts and locktite a stud into them, even now it only just went on!

I can't be the only one that drools at this!

Air Intake Temp sensor, cant get much more in the air flow than that!

Got my throttle cables finished too, some Yamaha cable ends fit nicely onto the throttle body. Only got the screw pins on to check it worked, got some soldered ones to go on now,

Turbo is in, boost hose is connected and the throttle body is in place. That's a nice straight intake that's gonna sound awesome!

:D

Associate
OP
Please put a filter on that...for the sake of children and small animals!!!

Nooooo, this is gonna eat children and small animals for breakfast!! :p

I actually haven't figured out where the filter is going yet, will probably be a billet air box type thing with a panel filter looking down.

Had a few hours on it today as we've got no work (which is actually a bad thing!)

Made this out of 20mm solid ally round.
Will split the boost pressure to the MAP sensor, boost gauge, fuel pressure regulator, wastegate and water injection switch plus one spare and the inlet!

Will sit about here, not with the P clip though, got some ally P clips on the way!

Soldato
ah standard 1000cc bike will do sub 3 secs.. getting anything faster would involve lowering and longer swing arm which is crap on the road . but im guessing in gear acceleration will be pretty good assuming it don't wanna wheelie everywhere

Associate
OP
Not really, I know nothing about bikes! :o

I'm assuming a 0-60 (if thats even how you measure bikes) of sub 5 seconds?

Like Persil said, most will do sub 3 sec with the right rider on board.

This has an extended swinger which will help off the line and hopefully help keep the front end down when accelerating in gear, its not extended too much from the original though so it shouldn't hamper it too much in the corners.

Associate
OP
Started wiring last week, had about 4-5 full days on it so far.

This was at the start, just ECU cables in there!

Trying to braid as much as I can as well, bit of a long process but looks nicer, the pic is just for the ignition amp module, the switch gear, light looms, ignition switch and clocks loom is all braided too.
You can see the main loom in this one too, got some 20mm woven sleeve and been fishing the wires through that, again it takes time but keeps things nice and neat.

I've got part of it powered up too, clocks power up and the front lights work!
I'll get some more up to date pics soon.

:)

Associate
OP
How long til completion do you reckon? (This thread really has piqued my curiosity and it's frustrating me :D :D :D)

I'm gonna say about 2 weeks until its all powered up properly, the sensors need to be wired one at a time, calibrated and checked on a pc so that'll take a few evenings!

It's not that far off running but getting it on the road will take a bit longer.

Associate
OP
Just to give you a little idea of my headache!
Fuse box is sorted hopefully, just got a couple of 250ma in line fuses to put in for the ECU and the data logger.

20130507_201233_zps0e24e852.jpg

This is where the fun happens! The switch gear is done, clocks are nearly there, just got to sort the fuel light out which isn't actually that simple. Also got to look into getting rid of the check light as its permanently on because its not getting a signal from the stock ECU.

20130507_201220_zps9add7abf.jpg

Then it's just sorting my 'arm' switch for the compressor, water injection and air shifter, the front indicator loom which will have the fuel pump wires as well and the fan and horn wiring.

Then I get to power the ECU and start connecting sensors and injectors!

Its taking ages to sort this out but its getting there.

:)

Associate
OP
The ECU is finally powered up!

Bought myself a bargain laptop, at least 15 years old but it has a working com port. Just needed a new screen and a little RAM upgrade. Cost me £47 in total.

Runs Tuner Studio just fine.

20130522_192500_zpsc36040a8.jpg

coolant sensor and air intake temp sensor are connected, coolant one needs calibrating but they show up and work.

:cool:

Associate
OP
Well the under seat oil cooler is piped up, wasn't too bad in the end really. The lines up there are pretty well hidden.
The turbo oil drain is sorted temporarily as I need the clutch cover from WSR back.
Its filled with oil, the cooler is full and the turbo feed is bled up.

The Lambda is all sorted bar a cable I need to shorten but I'll leave it as it is for the initial fire up. The last sensors are in and wired, fuel pressure is set and there's fuel in the tank.

Just waiting for Tiff to make the 36-1 trigger wheel then I'm ready to fire it up, watch this space...

Associate
OP
Found a couple of errors I made while setting up the fuel injection, firstly I'd entered the wrong injector size and secondly I'd got the timing a little out, with those corrected it no longer smokes and sounds much sweeter!
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom