Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Wow at the underfloor heating **** up. There is no way he was planning on electric, sounds like BS. Maybe it got forgotten about or he couldn't get the plumbers in but ploughed ahead anyway, it sounds ridiculous and unlikely but its hard to explain how the situation is where it is.
Agreed, it should have been planned/ prepped at the point when the floor insulation/ room boundaries were established.

I assume the floor has been adequately insulated? You need to take into account the floor finishes in different rooms together with their underlay/ adhesive thickness to avoid steps.

Normally the underfloor heating company would design the loops so there is adequate heat output for the space (most do this at no cost). We used Wunda (you can buy direct).

Agreed, it should have been planned/ prepped at the point when the floor insulation/ room boundaries were established.

I assume the floor has been adequately insulated? You need to take into account the floor finishes in different rooms together with their underlay/ adhesive thickness to avoid steps.

Normally the underfloor heating company would design the loops so there is adequate heat output for the space (most do this at no cost). We used Wunda (you can buy direct).
Yeah that's true hopefully if they have a plan from the underfloor company it will be done properly. Many wouldn't have that compromise though, they would be taking the screed up and doing it again...although OP maybe cannot entertain that idea.

It makes you think though. There must have been a detailed drawing from an architect for the whole project, surely there was details of the manifold for the underfloor plus any additional radiators, what boiler it was etc. A lot of the time there are detailed comments describing items such as the heating system, electrics, lights etc. I wonder if there was anything on there regarding electric underfloor.

Wow at the underfloor heating **** up. There is no way he was planning on electric, sounds like BS. Maybe it got forgotten about or he couldn't get the plumbers in but ploughed ahead anyway, it sounds ridiculous and unlikely but its hard to explain how the situation is where it is.

Was there no discussion regarding where the boiler and underfloor heating manifold was going to be sited?

Hopefully he or someone on his team has worked out what output you need in each area, or is he just proposing throwing this down on the floor to try and keep you happy? Same with the radiators.

That low profile underfloor will obviously raise the floor, you could be up to 30-40mm depending on finished floor covering, I wonder how that looks with the transitions to the other rooms ie a step. It will also affect all the kickboards under the units and the worktops will be a bit lower(whether that's noticeable or not).

Yes, there was a significant oversight, I agree. However, we only realised that Electric was being used when we spoke to electrican and i was questioning why we was having fuse spurs all over the walls.

We had always assumed it would be water, as the developer requested details about the boiler (make/model) before commencing work.

The discussion regarding the manifold occurred last week. I suggested placing it under the stairs since the pipes run down that wall, given that the boiler is in our attic. Now, I am being informed that the manifold ideally needs to be situated at the top of the stairs (boxed in, etc.) as it needs to be positioned higher for some reason. If it turns out to be unsightly, they will have to relocate it – that's non-negotiable.

abR3f2v.png

Radiators have been installed, and we had a plumber on-site all last week. The majority of the radiators are connected to existing points that were previously removed or modified. As for the output, I have no idea; a company is scheduled to visit on Wednesday. This is on the developer.

The low-profile option will raise the floors by 20mm (16mm profile) plus LVT by 4mm. The rooms not having the water system have already been raised; OSB has been laid, and the floors have been installed to achieve a level surface with no steps. The kitchen carpenters are here all week, and they are exceptionally good. I have full confidence that they will handle all of this seamlessly.

As you can probably tell from the above, I am relatively calm about the situation. I have moved past worrying; it's now the developer's problem to resolve. If it's not correct, he will need to address it, as I have arranged for a professional snagging company to inspect everything upon his completion.

*as i am writing this; they have just had a major leak in the house; water is streaming in through the ceilngs and spots. :cry:

Yes, there was a significant oversight, I agree. However, we only realised that Electric was being used when we spoke to electrican and i was questioning why we was having fuse spurs all over the walls.

We had always assumed it would be water, as the developer requested details about the boiler (make/model) before commencing work.

The discussion regarding the manifold occurred last week. I suggested placing it under the stairs since the pipes run down that wall, given that the boiler is in our attic. Now, I am being informed that the manifold ideally needs to be situated at the top of the stairs (boxed in, etc.) as it needs to be positioned higher for some reason. If it turns out to be unsightly, they will have to relocate it – that's non-negotiable.

abR3f2v.png

Radiators have been installed, and we had a plumber on-site all last week. The majority of the radiators are connected to existing points that were previously removed or modified. As for the output, I have no idea; a company is scheduled to visit on Wednesday. This is on the developer.

The low-profile option will raise the floors by 20mm (16mm profile) plus LVT by 4mm. The rooms not having the water system have already been raised; OSB has been laid, and the floors have been installed to achieve a level surface with no steps. The kitchen carpenters are here all week, and they are exceptionally good. I have full confidence that they will handle all of this seamlessly.

As you can probably tell from the above, I am relatively calm about the situation. I have moved past worrying; it's now the developer's problem to resolve. If it's not correct, he will need to address it, as I have arranged for a professional snagging company to inspect everything upon his completion.

*as i am writing this; they have just had a major leak in the house; water is streaming in through the ceilngs and spots. :cry:
Hopefully it doesn't do too much damage.

The manifold at the top of the stairs sounds bonkers, I cant think of any reason why it would need to be sited there. Under the stairs sounds like a perfect spot for it if you have access to the flow & return pipes.

Re the under floor heating I thought even the low profile needed some sort of screed over it before the LVT, maybe not the case. That's good re the floor levels, sounds like it should work out well.

Hopefully it doesn't do too much damage.

The manifold at the top of the stairs sounds bonkers, I cant think of any reason why it would need to be sited there. Under the stairs sounds like a perfect spot for it if you have access to the flow & return pipes.

Re the under floor heating I thought even the low profile needed some sort of screed over it before the LVT, maybe not the case. That's good re the floor levels, sounds like it should work out well.
Some off the low profile stuff sits in its own insulation and are made to have the flooring straight on top.
The only problem with this type is you can get warm lines on the floor where the pipes are as there is no slab to heat up.

Underfloor heating was suppose to be going down today; which never happened. Now the developer is saying as we have a hybrid approach (we added a hallway rads and rads to snug and playroom); due to him going to put down electric.

He reckons now; this is going mess up the termostats and going to have our boiler going on and off as they are two different systems.

He is saying the price for designer rads (4 new in kitchen and utility) is around £1,200 - this is about right plus all labour to dig floors and channel pipe in screen is about the same to install UFH. I am just not sure about it causing issues with boiler.

Rads have been installed where X is marked.

uhlQxPw.png

Last edited:
There should be no problem with the boiler powering both ufh and rads. The underfloor heating will be on a second zone and there will be a controller to power each zone depending on what thermostat triggered it (heatmiser is a common brand for this). The boiler will be on when one or the other is on (and if it is a combi when the hot water is on). There is no reason why this should be any issue what so ever. Basically, he doesn't want to (or know how to) install a ufh system imo.

However, since he has messed up by not installing the ufh under the screed then it might be best to go for radiators. In the current energy situation I would not entertain electric ufh unless I had a large solar system with suitable batteries. And even then would be hesitant given heating is typically needed in the winter months.

Last edited:
There should be no problem with the boiler powering both ufh and rads. The underfloor heating will be on a second zone and there will be a controller to power each zone depending on what thermostat triggered it (heatmiser is a common brand for this). The boiler will be on when one or the other is on (and if it is a combi when the hot water is on). There is no reason why this should be any issue what so ever. Basically, he doesn't want to (or know how to) install a ufh system imo.

This is my thoughts exactly; i am also concerned as my wife would rather go for radiators because if he has no idea how to do this UFH system; it could cause serious complications in the long run.

However, since he has messed up by not installing the ufh under the screed then it might be best to go for radiators. In the current energy situation I would not entertain electric ufh unless I had a large solar system with suitable batteries. And even then would be hesitant given heating is typically needed in the winter months.

There are new systems out; i have spoken with companies that offer a 16m overlay boards; that go down the pipe goes in to a groove *12 mm and then a thin insulation over the top then floor on top. No electric would be used.

Last edited:
You can have UFH on the same floor as the manifold. Mine is with a grundfos pump to circulate it.

@kai your UFH should be spec’ed out by a provider. They issue a floor plan of how to lay it out and provide all the necessary parts.

This was mine in the process of being installed (retro-fit on hard floors) using these insulation boards, which are 16mm, exactly as you say.

insulation boards laid in room with pipes to go in:

EEg4MZe_d.webp

Some pipes in awkward hallway, next to manifold. Lots of pipes going from here to various rooms:

DtmZBRC_d.webp

Tomorrow marks the official day we were supposed to move in; however, as far as the developer is concerned, we have nowhere to live. I saw this coming from a mile away, so I've arranged accommodation with family over the Christmas period. The developer doesn't seem to care, even though we have a two-year-old, and the house is completely unsafe or secure (OSB front door).

He is working until the 22nd this week and then taking three weeks off. He won't allow his "boys" to work during this timeframe until he returns. Both my wife and I are stressed beyond belief; it's just one issue after another. We're hearing horror stories from some of the trades that have worked with the developer. Apparently, we're fortunate because some projects are two years or more without habitable living conditions.

Last week, we had two separate water leaks that caused significant damage (they come from the boiler, so he is saying he is not responsible as he did not touch). British Gas have said its because the heating as been off for so long and exposed to all the winter elements.

To top it off, the staircase was delivered, and it doesn't fit. If you're under 4ft, you're fine, but any regular height adult needs to duck. We now have to cut away bulkheads, staircase and landing to accommodate it, including adding more structural support into the hallway. He blamed our architect, yet refuses to speak with him. The architect has pointed out why he is facing this issue as he deviated away from plan.

ieUnViu.png

This is a bulkhead; you are at face level when walking down the stairs.

To top it off, we've had a painter here for nearly 2.5 weeks, and today was the final straw. We had already pointed out issues to the developer, such as not masking and painting over sockets, etc. We were told one room was completed by the painter on Friday and were informed that we could move our belongings into that room. Upon inspection, the workmanship is atrocious. I phoned the Developer today (Sunday); and asked he not return to site tomorrow morning. The quality of the work to date has been good; but this painter is on a whole other level as these are freshly plastered new walls. The developer has agreed this is unacceptable; but his excuse was they are rushing to get us into our home.

ZsWRIEr.png
BO2REa1.png

Last edited:
You never paint a wall with the sockets screwed in. You unscrew them and pull them out a bit.
As for the stairs you would have to deviate from plan a massive amount to cause that. Personally i think that's down to the architect.

You never paint a wall with the sockets screwed in. You unscrew them and pull them out a bit.
As for the stairs you would have to deviate from plan a massive amount to cause that. Personally i think that's down to the architect.

Not the case unfortunately, due to his deviation from the plan. Steel was not used in that section per the drawing and orginal calcs. The steal beam was suppose to bolt into a new brick wall. The developer instead used a timber frame wall and tripled up the joists; as such building control made him add addtional support frames hence the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Not the case unforutntley, its due to a deviation from the plan. Steel was not used in that section per the drawing and orginal cals. The steal beam was suppose to bolt into a new brick wall. The developer instead used a timber frame wall and tripled up the joists; as such building control made him add addtional support frames hence the bulkhead.

What was his reason for not using a steal beam in the first place?

Not the case unfortunately, due to his deviation from the plan. Steel was not used in that section per the drawing and orginal calcs. The steal beam was suppose to bolt into a new brick wall. The developer instead used a timber frame wall and tripled up the joists; as such building control made him add addtional support frames hence the bulkhead.
Yes i accept that is a massive deviation from plan. I am actually surprised building control allowed him to not fit a structural steel in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom