Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Soldato
Well depends on the form of contract but yes "Liquidated and Ascertained Damages" (LAD) costs or sometimes Delay Damages

Can be an agreed cost but has to have some basis of "inconvenience" or actual cost incurred in going past an agreed end date (which can change) and needs to be under specific instances and proven to be due to an event, action or inaction

Soldato
Well depends on the form of contract but yes "Liquidated and Ascertained Damages" (LAD) costs or sometimes Delay Damages

Can be an agreed cost but has to have some basis of "inconvenience" or actual cost incurred in going past an agreed end date (which can change) and needs to be under specific instances and proven to be due to an event, action or inaction

So completely unenforceable and a grey area to deliberately favour the trader? Act of god anyone? ;)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP

I started looking into these items and it's such a grey area.

All we are going to do is we have a large sum left to pay at the end (following sign off by snagging and building control certifcate) any costs i occur i am going to deducte when i transfer i.e. nights at a hotel etc. Not sure legally how i will stand but it could be Christmas in a travel lodge!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure it is reasonable to expect a job of this magnitude to run to the outline plan date. I can see why most developers price themselves out of jobs like this tbh. (not to be mean to you, just another side of the coin!).

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Not sure it is reasonable to expect a job of this magnitude to run to the outline plan date. I can see why most developers price themselves out of jobs like this tbh. (not to be mean to you, just another side of the coin!).

Oh we fully expected to run over and realize the magnitude. We just did not expect to be this far behind the curve. The developer keeps telling us things will start to move fast now; and they are but it's just hugely fustrating.

This is the current state of our Kitchen (today) (every room is more or less like this with the utality yet to be started)

WzAfujn.png

I guess, i should not be complaining as we have trades here working; i am also not in the trade but would have expected a different order of works. On the plus side; todays build of the media wall for the movie room is going look great. 70' fire with a 75' TV above.

rrdZ2ZK.png

Soldato
Having done my own much smaller refurb, it's amazing how quickly the last few things absolutely fly up. My house went from no floorboards to fully insulated and herringbone'd in about 8 of my own individual labour days. Fingers crossed for you!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Having done my own much smaller refurb, it's amazing how quickly the last few things absolutely fly up. My house went from no floorboards to fully insulated and herringbone'd in about 8 of my own individual labour days. Fingers crossed for you!

I really hope so; do not get me wrong there are 4 workers here today of different trades. It's just so fustrating and somewhat crazy - for example: he has told the plumber to knock the heat on today to get some warmth in the house as they are plasterboarding --

The house has NO WINDOWS or DOORS - i might as well be throwing money in the air!!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
It's odd because I'd expect to plaster up to the surrounds. Maybe it's a commercial reason he's delayed?

Or the fact there is like £30K of glass to go in! I have looked online and plastering can be done before windows, its just not standard practise.

Soldato
@kai - sorry that it’s so fraught. Main positives are that you’ve got trades on site AND your main guy is visiting every day. We couldn’t be sure if anyone would turn up, sometimes it would be weeks between anyone coming.

Push to be watertight be Christmas. We spent a miserable winter with some dodgy MDF boarding up - brand new kitchen fitted and working! Surprised we didn’t have birds roosting in there.

Hope you can focus on the progress that is being made and have some productive conversations with the builder.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
What sort of payment schedule have you agreed here? Do you have the protection of a large final balloon payment?

We have £30K left. It was 50K but we gave money last week as the Kitchen payment was made and Quartz. This is not to be paid until final sign off (snagging complete) and building control certifcate.
@kai - sorry that it’s so fraught. Main positives are that you’ve got trades on site AND your main guy is visiting every day. We couldn’t be sure if anyone would turn up, sometimes it would be weeks between anyone coming.

Push to be watertight be Christmas. We spent a miserable winter with some dodgy MDF boarding up - brand new kitchen fitted and working! Surprised we didn’t have birds roosting in there.

Hope you can focus on the progress that is being made and have some productive conversations with the builder.

He has promised again today we will be in by Christmas. He can't guarantee it will be 100% but will have a kitchen, and bathrooms finished.

Soldato
Ummm.... You have 30k left to pay and yet 30k of glass to go in plus the rest?

Id be gentle with the builder at this point :D but should have at least some rooms semi liveable by Christmas if the pace picks up...

Good to see all the steels are hidden.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Windows and doors and slowly starting to go in.

Orginal render design
f6ONRUf.png

As part of the original quote, we made the decision not to replace the existing bi-fold door on the right. It's a PVC door and is only 2-3 years old, so replacing it seemed like a needless expense. However, we are now reconsidering this choice. As you can see, it's significantly different, not only in terms of its profile (while all the other doors and windows are aluminum) but also in terms of glass height, handle height, and other aspects. The builder is changing the new door handles to chrome to match as this was an oversight on his part. However, to replace this leaf we would be looking at another £2-3K with fitting. We are not sure if it will be worth it or something we could decide to change at a later date if it is that obvious when its decorated and blended in.
gXaO2ip.png

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
everytime i see this thread updated i hope its a good update with the issues you had. What else needs to be done before you are watertight

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
everytime i see this thread updated i hope its a good update with the issues you had. What else needs to be done before you are watertight
Lots. Garage front need to be taken down and bricked back up with a door and window. Upstairs the Apex glass. a window cut out for staircase. We are also not technically water-tight even with the doors and windows in - columns of brickwork need to happen including headers above.

We have a few of these windows dotted around the place also.

Sru4muT.png
WJGk29h.png

Don't be killing your builder about completion timelines then start throwing in nice to have change requests :D
This is the issue

1. Budget - we want to stay within our allocation.
2. This will likely delay plastering etc. We have decided to see if we can live with and decide future state if its something that needs changing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom