Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Soldato
Dealing with traders or builders in the UK is like planning a wedding in the Caribbean. So laid back. Sloooow. Things will get done in the end and be beautiful hopefully. Hang in there.

Soldato
Windows and doors and slowly starting to go in.

Orginal render design
f6ONRUf.png

As part of the original quote, we made the decision not to replace the existing bi-fold door on the right. It's a PVC door and is only 2-3 years old, so replacing it seemed like a needless expense. However, we are now reconsidering this choice. As you can see, it's significantly different, not only in terms of its profile (while all the other doors and windows are aluminum) but also in terms of glass height, handle height, and other aspects. The builder is changing the new door handles to chrome to match as this was an oversight on his part. However, to replace this leaf we would be looking at another £2-3K with fitting. We are not sure if it will be worth it or something we could decide to change at a later date if it is that obvious when its decorated and blended in.
gXaO2ip.png

FYI if it annoys you now, one thing to consider is that if you change it later it may break the plaster around the doors/have cracks or need sealant over it. A minor detail just it would be better replaced pre plastering if you were going to.

Reactions: kai

FNG

FNG

Associate
FYI if it annoys you now, one thing to consider is that if you change it later it may break the plaster around the doors/have cracks or need sealant over it. A minor detail just it would be better replaced pre plastering if you were going to.
You also need to consider the slight possibility that the new new doors would be slightly different to the new doors if you had them done in the future. That been said, don't underestimate how quickly you get used to something cosmetic!

Soldato
If at all possible, swap them now.

The time, cost and disruption of doing it later is disproportionately higher

Also, now it's in your head, it will niggle away until you snap and change it.

Change it and change it now for your sanity :p

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
If at all possible, swap them now.

The time, cost and disruption of doing it later is disproportionately higher

Also, now it's in your head, it will niggle away until you snap and change it.

Change it and change it now for your sanity :p

It annoys me now; but i think once it is done and painted i will not notice as much. It will delay the project (Keep in mind, we need to be in by Dec 18th, and its going be an extra £2-3K. Money we do not have right now).

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
If the money is tight just leave it. At worst it will be something that can be done in a year or two and the damage will be localised enough that it will just be some filler and paint.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Would love some advice :x

Yesterday, the developer contacted my wife, informing her that he would be invoicing the penultimate installment next week. Initially, we had always agreed to retain £10,000 until the snagging process is complete. However, during the last payment cycle (5 weeks ago), he stated in both our presence to pay the larger installment now and withhold £30,000 until final sign-off.

Upon challenging this, he asserted that it was a mistake or a misunderstanding, insisting that we had always agreed to withhold only £10,000 (all communicated verbally, of course).

The concern I face is that settling this new invoice would take us to 93% completion to date. Despite my lack of expertise in the trade, it's evident that we are far from reaching this level of completion. To illustrate, the outstanding items include:

• Kitchen/Utility Installation (payment pending for the kitchen and utality to Howdens)
  • Utility Room Installation (including brick up of the existing garage with new a new front doors, windows and timber frame, insulate, screed floor etc.)
  • Two New Bathrooms (we have picked, he needs to purchase and fit)
  • Underfloor heating + him to purchase our new flooring for both upstairs and downstairs
  • Two Front Doors
  • All interior doors, architrave, frames, etc.
  • Additional windows and doors yet to be installed / arrive
  • Still lots of external brickwork to be completed
This list is extensive, and I've highlighted some major items. If I proceed with the payment, I fail to see any incentive for the developer to expedite the process, especially considering our need to occupy the house in some capacity by December 18th. Additionally, I find myself in a position where the developer could potentially walk away, leaving me with no materials (valued at way more than £30,000).

My stance is we , we've already disbursed payments exceeding the value of the work delivered thus far.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
What was agreed in writing before the work started? Did you have a schedule of works or payment timeline plan?

All verbal. This is all really the contract states in terms of T&C's

• Holding Deposit required 10%
  • Interim payments throughout project
  • Due to recent climate, we cannot commit to timescale, every effort shall be made to complete within a resonable timescale
  • Every effort shall be made to minimise disruption.

Soldato
Ideally, you should have drawn up a contract that you both signed before you started, but that's in the past now.

That looks to be a lot of work left. How is the relationship with the builder now?
Ultimately you hold the bargaining chip of 30K unless I've read it wrong? So if he wants to get paid he knows he has to continue working.
The only downside is, maybe that 20K (again unless I'm mistaken) is needed to pay for materials and wages for his staff if he has a cash flow issue.

The verbal agreements are all hearsay, and is open to interpretation, and that's where pre-agreement contract would resolve this.

If I were you I'd put together a payment plan now which is staged at X point being done. Don't be surprised if the builder blows a gasket at this, so you'll have to explain to him why your doing this.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Ideally, you should have drawn up a contract that you both signed before you started, but that's in the past now.

That looks to be a lot of work left. How is the relationship with the builder now?
Ultimately you hold the bargaining chip of 30K unless I've read it wrong? So if he wants to get paid he knows he has to continue working.
The only downside is, maybe that 20K (again unless I'm mistaken) is needed to pay for materials and wages for his staff if he has a cash flow issue.

The verbal agreements are all hearsay, and is open to interpretation, and that's where pre-agreement contract would resolve this.

If I were you I'd put together a payment plan now which is staged at X point being done. Don't be surprised if the builder blows a gasket at this, so you'll have to explain to him why your doing this.

The relationship is quite volatile and appears to hinge on the time of day when dealing with him. His demeanor swings between very warm and very cold. While we maintain communication and he provides daily updates, he can become exceedingly defensive and easily loses his temper when faced with any form of resistance.

I would go so far as to say that he holds the bargaining chip in this situation, considering that there is a lot more at stake than just the £30,000. The kitchen alone accounts for nearly £20,000. If we proceed with the payment, he would have significantly more leverage, and the situation would decidedly tilt in his favor.

I am contemplating bringing in a QS at my expense to oversee the remaining work. This would ensure that payments are handled impartially and without bias. However, I am aware that this suggestion might go down like a lead balloon and will cost me more money.

Soldato
Sounds very difficult for you, particularly as I'd seen previously you've got a young family and are living elsewhere with you house in bits...

Try to be as polite and nice to the builder as you can. Mugs of tea with biscuits, and maybe some cakes at the end of the week or bacon sarnies on a morning. It will go a long way in terms of keeping things friendly and his workers will appreciate it. Whilst doing that, you have to remain firm about your expectations of X being completed by Y before you pay Z. He might not like it, but if you pay him all but 10K, what's to stop him sodding off to start his next project? Do you have much prior experience with the builder? Previous customers or solid reviews? Have building control been visiting at each stage? Do you know if he has other jobs/projects in progress?

Soldato
While I see your rationale for bringing a QS in I agree it may (very likely) be met with resistance and if he doesn't agree, then you are no further forward but have worsened the relationship and.cost yourself money.

Taking the comment above about cash flow. This is a hugely valid point, however any decent / established contractor should have at least (very least) credit at his suppliers with at least 30 day payment terms.

Staff / subbies likewise will likely be paid weekly (direct staff) or in stage payments for subbies

If it was me I would offer to meet in a neutral place (pub / cafe etc.) and just ask for an open and honest discussion around time and cost to close out. Explain your concerns about being left "open" if the requested level of money is handed over. Let him do the same - so you are both aware of each other's situation and position

Look to plot out key items./ dates and payments

I.e. kitchen delivered / installed on x date, releases £y etc for all the key items

More regular payments to help his cash flow while giving you some assurance materials / items / works are being bought, installed and progressed while still holding back a (to be defined) sum at the end for snagging etc

That discussion may help allay some fears but may also identify issues / concerns with your contractor but, whatever the outcome both understanding where each other is at and working towards a mutually agreeable solution / way forward has to be the way to go

Soldato
Not that I have direct experience of this, but I would say remember that making a payment is the only real leverage you have over a builder, so payments should only be made when you are satisfied with completed work (after fair allowance for materials). If necessary, make smaller and more regular payments. Always try and remain polite and reasonable of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems a bit mad the payment schedule as the contractor is considerably cash flow forward which is exactly what you want to avoid. It's only particularly important with dodgy builders to be fair.

Just work backwards at how much needs doing and the cost (eg 20k kitchen + 10k bathrooms + 5 k flooring) then he's still got 35k to put in so you're actually 5k ahead on payments.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I'm hopeful that someone can provide advice before I escalate the matter with the developer tomorrow. Tonight, we're finalizing the order for our kitchen with the designer, and we've discovered a discrepancy of over 500mm. We now need to reduce the size and eliminate cabinets.

Upon reviewing old drawings, I realized the builder made the wall the exact same size, perfectly aligning it when, in reality, the kitchen wall should be longer. This presents two significant issues:
  1. We lose cabinet space.
  2. The line of sight into the house is affected; the island is now aligned with the door (which is going to be a glass door), not providing the visual arrangement I desired.

X2OWPM4.png
JiIhhqW.png

The wood on the floor i have placed - indicates how much the kitchen wall is out. How easy would this be to add an extension to an existing timber frame stud wall (it's already been plastered front side) ? Or does he need to take the entire wall down and do it again?

I am just kicking myself i have missed something so obvious :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom