Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

I'm hopeful that someone can provide advice before I escalate the matter with the developer tomorrow. Tonight, we're finalizing the order for our kitchen with the designer, and we've discovered a discrepancy of over 500mm. We now need to reduce the size and eliminate cabinets.

Upon reviewing old drawings, I realized the builder made the wall the exact same size, perfectly aligning it when, in reality, the kitchen wall should be longer. This presents two significant issues:
  1. We lose cabinet space.
  2. The line of sight into the house is affected; the island is now aligned with the door (which is going to be a glass door), not providing the visual arrangement I desired.

The wood on the floor i have placed - indicates how much the kitchen wall is out. How easy would this be to add an extension to an existing timber frame stud wall (it's already been plastered front side) ? Or does he need to take the entire wall down and do it again?

I am just kicking myself i have missed something so obvious :(

They would be able to fix some studs to the floor /wall, plaster and reskim over all the adjacent walls.

Wether it's a big deal or not would depend on how difficult they're being but if it's a supplied drawing they've missed not your problem.

Reactions: kai
It's wrong, it needs changing

It's not that big a deal at all, plant extra stud to extend to the correct length, plater board and scrim tape the joints then feather in the new to newly plastered side and the side facing the photo isn't yet plastered, so the plasterer needs to come back anyway.

The (what appears to be) the cabling for the light switch at the bottom of the stairs likely needs moving

Id aksi double check the staircase is measured and ordered on the longer / extended / correct wall length and position.

Reactions: kai
At least he's sorting it but people like that boil my pee, when it's quite obviously there in black and white there really isn't an argument to be had just a simple "Yep, sorry it'll be sorted".

Did you check if the staircase has been measured / ordered in line with the "correct" wall position ?

The guy gives me Del-Boy vibes - honestly. He claims he has ordered it, but I'm skeptical. The wall position won't affect the staircase as the staircase was originally starting at the old wall position before moving.

Today, we're facing a new challenge. The kitchen is set to arrive on Friday, yet he keeps telling us he hasn't received the final price from Howdens. As part of the work, he has had us work with his kitchen designer he uses but they can't show us the price because of PII. I am at the point, i am just going take the design into another Howdens and get an idea.

Contrary to his verbal promises, the kitchen we showed him, with dimensions and worktops, was supposed to be within budget he set at the start of the project with ample room for movement.

Our quote explicitly states: "Pc sum for utility room and kitchen, appliances, worktops plus fitting. £20,000.00, as per plan."

He (supposedly) receives a 40% discount at Howdens and substantial discounts on Quartz from a supplier. During a site visits in April to a client reference site, he showcased kitchens twice the size with the same Quartz worktops we ordered, all within this price range. However, he is now claiming that fitting is £3,500, and worktops are £4,500-£5,000 with fitting. This leaves us with only £11,500 - £12,000 to outfit two fairly large rooms.

Last edited:
Can i give you a little bit of advice and you can take it or leave it.
Having this type of work done to your house is an extremely stressful time in your life and i have noticed in your posts you are getting quite angry towards the contractor
but now is not the time to fall out with him and have him walk off the job.
You will be unlikely to be able to employ anyone else to finish the job for months and by your own account would not have enough money left to do so anyway.
Getting any money back from the contractor could take a long time if at all.
My advice would be to be very polite but firm with him on what you want and expect but never let it descend into arguments or recriminations even if he is being unreasonable.
Just my two cents as they say

Fitting a kitchen carcass before worktops are fitted does not sound like 3.5k work (eg 10days @350a day) but maybe 12k will get you all the cabinets anyways and he's just making up figures for his margins?

Can i give you a little bit of advice and you can take it or leave it.
Having this type of work done to your house is an extremely stressful time in your life and i have noticed in your posts you are getting quite angry towards the contractor
but now is not the time to fall out with him and have him walk off the job.
You will be unlikely to be able to employ anyone else to finish the job for months and by your own account would not have enough money left to do so anyway.
Getting any money back from the contractor could take a long time if at all.
My advice would be to be very polite but firm with him on what you want and expect but never let it descend into arguments or recriminations even if he is being unreasonable.
Just my two cents as they say

Solid advice. This Is the most stressed I have ever been, given that i have a really stressful job. Our discussions, my wife's and mine, revolve around this work approximately 99.9% of the time; it has become all-encompassing (we just want our house back).

Regarding collaboration with the contractor, my wife primarily handles interactions with him, as it constitutes a significant aspect of her day job, which involves managing challenging contractors, albeit in a different field.

Fitting a kitchen carcass before worktops are fitted does not sound like 3.5k work (eg 10days @350a day) but maybe 12k will get you all the cabinets anyways and he's just making up figures for his margins?
Yes, i mean he is not doing this for the benefit of his health (we get that), but i get the feeling here comes the this is going cost you!

Last edited:
Solid advice. This Is the most stressed I have ever been, given the i have a really stressfuljob. Our discussions, my wife's and mine, revolve around this work approximately 99.9% of the time; it has become all-encompassing (we just want our house back).

JCPFM1n.md.jpg

As part of the work, he has had us work with his kitchen designer he uses but they can't show us the price because of PII.
It doesn't help you now, but for other people. Never go with Howdens through your builder, it's the easiest way to take you to the cleaners in terms of cost. You can't see the figures and his discount will be anywhere from 40-60%. Plus they always ask for your budget, which you should never answer as their cost will always suddenly equal your budget exactly.

Margin on worktops through a kitchen company is also circa double the cost you could order it yourself (and have them come template/install).

Definitely need to be firm with him as you are the client at the end of the day. Always keep back a chunk more money than there is worth left, they thrive on being in the advantageous position.

Last edited:
It's wrong, it needs changing

It's not that big a deal at all, plant extra stud to extend to the correct length, plater board and scrim tape the joints then feather in the new to newly plastered side and the side facing the photo isn't yet plastered, so the plasterer needs to come back anyway.

The (what appears to be) the cabling for the light switch at the bottom of the stairs likely needs moving

Id aksi double check the staircase is measured and ordered on the longer / extended / correct wall length and position.

The new section of the wall has been added and plastered, as indicated in the drawings. This encloses the entrance, aligning with our intended design, so we are happy with this part.

blAckE6.png

We now have some lights and electric sockets on the hallway - small victories, but progress. Most nights, we no longer need to rely on a torch to navigate around to look at progress.

It doesn't help you now, but for other people. Never go with Howdens through your builder, it's the easiest way to take you to the cleaners in terms of cost. You can't see the figures and his discount will be anywhere from 40-60%. Plus they always ask for your budget, which you should never answer as their cost wall always suddenly equal your budget exactly.

Margin on worktops through a kitchen company is also circa double the cost you could order it yourself (and have them come template/install).

Definitely need to be firm with him as you are the client at the end of the day. Always keep back a chunk more money than there is worth left, they thrive on being in the advantageous position.
On Friday, my wife found herself in a confrontation with the developer over his insistence on upfront payment again. She started doing shorthand of the meeting, of which he could not understand so started to get irate and upsetting her. To which she called me and i had to come out of a work to calm things.

Long story short he said if you want to pay me in smaller installments; my work will align with the payments (doing it much slower)

To address concerns regarding the kitchen, she caught him in a lie and insisted on a call to Howdens, where they agreed to disclose the individual price breakdown at his consent. Later that evening, we reviewed every detail, and I managed to negotiated significant discounts on appliances, going into the design meeting with internet prices. While we may exceed our budget by a few thousand, securing the desired kitchen and design is pivotal aspect for us.

His organisational become evident again – we selected our worktops in June with his supplier, and the kitchen is scheduled for installation this Wednesday. Despite this, he initially states that the worktops would be in the range of £4,000 to £5,000. Later the same day, he calls whether we ordered granite or quartz, admitting they can't find our order and could we confirm the name of the worktop; what we wanted etc. Surprisingly, he hadn't even booked the supplier for the fitting. Now, his carpenters are expected to handle the installation, i was under the impression it was a fairly skilled trade :confused:

He insists that the cost for the kitchen and utility fit will be £3,000 to £3,500 it will be 21 cabinets in the kitchen / Island and further 12-15 in utility.

Last week we got the floors screeded in both the utility and media wall for the snug plastered.

zNhNhsg.png

We are getting this insultated, framed and dot and dabbed this week. The floor had to be raised significantly to achieve a level surface throughout the entire downstairs. This was necessary because the area was previously an external garage, completely disconnected from the rest of the house.

I am also hoping that water pipe for the washing machine and dryer can be used for an outside tap, as they forgot about the plumbing for this :x
i2DqsxU.png

Let's hope the fire never breaks as its been plastered into the wall.
0ndMcdK.png

The developer has now addmitted that he won't be able to fulfill all the promises made a few weeks ago within the initially expected timeframe for our move-in date (18th Dec). He's facing challenges in completing the flooring, requiring over 100 square meters of underfloor heating (downstairs) installation before laying the herringbone Additionally, he won't be able to rip out of the master bathroom within this time frame.

As a solution, he proposes, at his expense, to reinstall the old radiators, provide space heaters, and install a temporary floor. However, we've are not happy with this offer, emphasizing our reluctance to deal with the mess and potential damages, especially considering that all radiators have been removed and walls have been skimmed.

Furthermore, he aims to complete the upstairs entirely before Christmas, encompassing all painting and decorating activities, doors etc. However, he plans to delay the master bathroom renovation until after the new year, a proposal that we find unacceptable, i do not want to be in a mess again upstairs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately to not compromise on fit and finish I think the only way is to delay the move in. Storage heaters will be miserable, temporary flooring and further disruption....it'll take more time than just doing it right first.

Interested to get feedback here. Upstairs we have a few rooms they have needed to move doors across, add walls and general reconfiguration.

The quote states: Decorate upstairs (likely white/white gloss) and landing etc

This was my own text included when putting together the statement of work. The quote he signed states this exactly.

This morning he confronted me to confirm he is is only having his painter, paint walls he has touched. If i want to pay him extra for any private work that's on me. Is my wording open to interurpation or do people take this as paint upstairs, everything?

For example; the X is the only wall he is going do as it's a "new wall". They are white walls and he didnt secure the property for 2-3 months so we had all types of bugs, condensation etc inside this room so it 100% needs a refresh.

mSQ96kW.png

It's also starting to creep into other areas. This is my airing cuboard, he refused to finish with new plaster as it was 50% an existing wall and "sound".

48G9Cv5.png

Last edited:
Sounds like the guy is just reaching peak bell *** now he's realised he can't bull **** his way out anymore.

I personally can't see how you can read "Decorate upstairs" as "Only make good new walls".

Sounds like the guy is just reaching peak bell *** now he's realised he can't bull **** his way out anymore.

I personally can't see how you can read "Decorate upstairs" as "Only make good new walls".
Agree with this, although at this point you can either argue with him or just get on with it yourself. With their being no skirting and empty rooms, you could easily sand/fill/paint the rooms yourself quickly. It will *^%% him off if you do it whilst he is there as well as he knows you'll be keeping a closer eye on him and the works going on.

If it was me and I was desperate to get in and the relationship with the contractor had gone sour, I'd just do it then hold some money back at the end to compensate for the materials/labour sacrificed for it. He'll struggle to argue what you've put above.

Agree with this, although at this point you can either argue with him or just get on with it yourself. With their being no skirting and empty rooms, you could easily sand/fill/paint the rooms yourself quickly. It will *^%% him off if you do it whilst he is there as well as he knows you'll be keeping a closer eye on him and the works going on.

If it was me and I was desperate to get in and the relationship with the contractor had gone sour, I'd just do it then hold some money back at the end to compensate for the materials/labour sacrificed for it. He'll struggle to argue what you've put above.

I mean technically, yes i could do the work myself but i have paid the contractor to handle this. He has receved a lot of money for this project and it's more the inconvience of taking time off etc to do this work and find out what paint etc the painter is going use to match etc.

Back
Top Bottom