PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

Damn this was fast, didn't expect this sort of spec so soon, $550 considering the specs really puts the likes of Meta, the Vive and Valve to shame, foveated rendering with eye tracking and 2k per eye is pretty insane.

I mean it's one of the best announced, but I'm not sure it's putting anyone to shame.

Meta release standalone headsets, have literally driven the entire market and whilst the pro is obviously a lot more expensive, it has standalone eye tracked foveated rendering that we'll almost certainly see in the Q3. Valve set the standard for years, and are looking likely to do it again next year, with the deckard. Vive have top quality out there too.

Tech in this sector is moving ridiculously fast, headsets are looking outdated within a year usually.

I still think having it be wired is a massive oversight, but I guess it saves a lot on costs when you don't need processing and a battery.

So the Meta is what 1500 quid.
The Vive and Valves are 1000 quid but also require a beefy PC to run. So that's what 2-3k+

In comparison the PSVR2 is cheap!

Except Meta and PC VR headsets are backwards compatible, which saves a lot of money on games.

I can play VR games I bought years ago for my CV1 and they still work on the Quest 2 (and look better and can play wirelessly) and I can even get them working on the Index. My Steam VR games will work with just about any PC VR headset I get.

Quest Pro plays any game from the Quest library. Quest 3 will be similarly backwards compatible.

Last edited:
The barrier for entry is lower on the PS5+PSVR2 than any PC VR setup.

Even a basic gaming PC capable of running a Vive or Rift (original) will still cost you more than the above. Sure the library of games will be extensive but most of those games are pretty basic and wouldn't be the AAA standard you'll likely find on PSVR2. How many AAA VR PC games are there in comparison?

I only have a few, HL Alyx, Elite Dangerous, Skyrim VR and Hellraiser 1, but I have dozens of simple cheap games like Audioshield, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine, bare in mind all of these games could easily be added to PSVR2 as it will be running on the same hardware as PSVR1./

I'm only speculating here, I've not really looked into the details of the device, but on paper it seems like a good deal to me. Certainly more so than the current crop of VR headsets.

I think they’ll sell a load at that price… also wouldn’t be surprised if that’s subsidised to be honest, the specs are pretty decent.

The barrier for entry is lower on the PS5+PSVR2 than any PC VR setup.

Even a basic gaming PC capable of running a Vive or Rift (original) will still cost you more than the above. Sure the library of games will be extensive but most of those games are pretty basic and wouldn't be the AAA standard you'll likely find on PSVR2. How many AAA VR PC games are there in comparison?

I only have a few, HL Alyx, Elite Dangerous, Skyrim VR and Hellraiser 1, but I have dozens of simple cheap games like Audioshield, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine, bare in mind all of these games could easily be added to PSVR2 as it will be running on the same hardware as PSVR1./

I'm only speculating here, I've not really looked into the details of the device, but on paper it seems like a good deal to me. Certainly more so than the current crop of VR headsets.

Where are you shopping if it costs more than £1k to get a PC that can drive a rift?

I think they’ll sell a load at that price… also wouldn’t be surprised if that’s subsidised to be honest, the specs are pretty decent.

I think they'll sell well to people who know VR and have a ps5 already. I don't know whether psvr2 will sell many ps5's. I hope it sells well, since it'll drive more developers producing high quality games, but I think standalone is still going to be the main driver here. Especially with ETFR being possible on a standalone device, if Meta can get it on the q3, and still keep it in the £400-£450 range for the cheaper model, I think they'll be on for a serious winner.

Last edited:
Where are you shopping if it costs more than £1k to get a PC that can drive a rift?

I buy most of my hardware from OCuk and a decent enough PC for VR will cost you more than £1k, were not talking some bottom of the barrel potatoe PC here. Unless your happy to play VR games at 30fps and spew up chunks from motion sickness after 10 minutes. To drive a rift or even OG Vive at the required frame rate you need a semi decent graphics card to start with.

So the Meta is what 1500 quid.
The Vive and Valves are 1000 quid but also require a beefy PC to run. So that's what 2-3k+

In comparison the PSVR2 is cheap!

The general VR buying public, not the enthusiasts here, will be wrongly comparing it to the Quest 2 and Pico 4, and so it will appear more expensive.

That's assuming Sony don't do a targeted marketing campaign to really sell the psvr2 to average Joe.

Anyone with VR and a ps5, I reckon it's a very likely buy. Someone who doesn't know VR, and has a ps5, it's a bit of a tougher sell, but that's where the marketing will target I suspect.

I don't think the price is too bad, when the first psvr launched it £350 plus another £80 for move controllers, not to sure if you had to buy camera.
All of a sudden the psvr2 price doesn't seem as bad as some are thinking

I don't think the price is too bad, when the first psvr launched it £350 plus another £80 for move controllers, not to sure if you had to buy camera.
All of a sudden the psvr2 price doesn't seem as bad as some are thinking

I'd agree it's not much more expensive that the original when you factor in the move controllers bringing it up to ~£450. Plus it was released in 2016 so if you allow for 7 years of inflation that makes it pretty much the same price relatively.

I'd agree it's not much more expensive that the original when you factor in the move controllers bringing it up to ~£450. Plus it was released in 2016 so if you allow for 7 years of inflation that makes it pretty much the same price relatively.

Move controllers weren't a must as most/if not all could use the DS4.

Looks like they've dropped the price of the psvr1 to $199. That's smart. People can get a taste with something much cheaper (that can also get returned) to then be willing to invest a bigger sum.

I’m expecting a more pleasurable experience from PSVR2 than either my Quest 2/Reverb G2 running from my PC which other than getting a 4090 to replace 3090 is fairly top notch.
Quest 2 will still be great for standalone & wireless pick up+play.

I know pre-orders are up on the 15th November from the PS Store but have other retailers confirmed if they'll be taking orders on the same day?

I’m expecting a more pleasurable experience from PSVR2 than either my Quest 2/Reverb G2 running from my PC which other than getting a 4090 to replace 3090 is fairly top notch.
Quest 2 will still be great for standalone & wireless pick up+play.
It's a better headset than either of those in terms of lenses, screens etc, so I'd hope it'd look better!

Back
Top Bottom