PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

PSVR 1 suffered from poor retention and software sales as it was just too much hassle to setup with all the wires.

I think the 2 main issues with PSVR 1 were the poor quality of the tracking due to the single camera and the move controllers which lacked thumb sticks.

IMO these were the reasons we saw so few PC VR titles being ported across. Both of these issues are now fixed in PSVR 2 so that, along with PS5 hardware which matches that in modern gaming PCs, should help ensure there’s no problem porting titles to it.

I get that folk invested in PC VR with high end hardware likely won’t be interested. However I think many oculus quest fans who don’t want to spend thousands on a gaming PC could be tempted by the idea of PSVR2. Especially those that already own a PS5.

Last edited:
I have pretty much maxed out PC upgrades now for PCVR but am still going for PSVR2 due mainly for game exclusives plus like the idea of proper OLED panels.
Ow and VR gaming without all the settings/configuration faff !

newer better headsets being lined up.

Has there been anything announced with the same feature set of the PSVR2?

I get that there are headsets out there that cost 3-5 times the price with no credible use cases for the features they possess that feature on the PSVR 2. Struggling to think of anything though that's been announced that matches up to the feature set of the headset, the controllers, with the might of a gamming company behind them.

Quest Pro is probably the nearest competitor, and it's thee times the cost of the PSVR2 headset and 33% more expensive than a PSVR2 and PS5 bundle.

The main advantage is the wireless mode and the optical stack including pancake lenses which give amazing clarity.

Also the controllers are self tracking with haptics that give PSVR's a run for the money.

But unlike the PSVR a lot of the advanced features aren't available across the board. Hardly any apps use the local dimming for truly dark scenes, and eye tracked foveated rendering is only currently supported by one game. Plus to get the best use out of it you need an expensive PC which currently can't access those advanced features.

So it's not really a like for like competitor. Quest 3 probably will be closer though as that will have a far more capable processor and GPU which should massively improve the standalone mode graphics.

So if you're not into PCVR there's nothing else approaching PCVR quality in the PSVR2's price range.

Last edited:
Has there been anything announced with the same feature set of the PSVR2?

I get that there are headsets out there that cost 3-5 times the price with no credible use cases for the features they possess that feature on the PSVR 2. Struggling to think of anything though that's been announced that matches up to the feature set of the headset, the controllers, with the might of a gamming company behind them.

Quest Pro is probably the nearest competitor, and it's thee times the cost of the PSVR2 headset and 33% more expensive than a PSVR2 and PS5 bundle.

The main advantage is the wireless mode and the optical stack including pancake lenses which give amazing clarity.

Also the controllers are self tracking with haptics that give PSVR's a run for the money.

But unlike the PSVR a lot of the advanced features aren't available across the board. Hardly any apps use the local dimming for truly dark scenes, and eye tracked foveated rendering is only currently supported by one game. Plus to get the best use out of it you need an expensive PC which currently can't access those advanced features.

So it's not really a like for like competitor. Quest 3 probably will be closer though as that will have a far more capable processor and GPU which should massively improve the standalone mode graphics.

So if you're not into PCVR there's nothing approaching PCVR quality in the PSVR2's price range.

I was referring to being able to use the PSVR2 as a PCVR device. Right now there isn't, but my point was that if they hold off making it PCVR compatible (if it's even an option) for very long, it'll face some stiff competition. PICO 4 has pancake lenses, quest 3 won't be too far away at that point, and new offerings from Valve and others being lined up fast.

When it releases, it'll be better than any other similarly priced PCVR headset, so could well grab some sales if compatible, but if not, I don't see it staying at a high level for long, especially considering it's tethered. And being backed by Sony makes no difference as a PCVR device, games will either be PC compatible or they won't.

I hope it turns out as good or better than they Hype, because it's great for VR to be moving forward. However, For me personally, even if the PSVR 2 turns out to be as good or better than the hype, I still won't buy it. It's not wireless. The one constant for me has been that the cable ruins immersion in room scale games. Even playing Walkabout Golf with the guys here I hate when I have to use the cable if my battery is low.

When it releases, it'll be better than any other similarly priced PCVR headset, so could well grab some sales if compatible

I don't think they're interested in selling PSVR2 to people who aren't going to buy PS5 games. It's primarily (and for the moment, solely) a PS5 accessory and forms part of the PS5 ecosystem; they want people to buy into the hardware, the software and the subscriptions. Selling it to PC gamers just shifts units with no real ongoing benefit to them. The PC space already has various VR options and I doubt Sony see the need to offer one more.

I know lots are wondering how good it is; and after all the media got to try out PSVR2 in the new Horizon game, we can say that the eye tracking and Foveated rendering are unnoticeable by the user, the pixels are able to switch quality fast enough that you don't notice it while using the headset, so where your eyes are focused the image is clear and never drops quality

It sounds like controller tracking works reasonably well, even behind your head or back, however if people walk into your play space it can confuse the tracking cameras

Last edited:
I changed my mind cancelled my pre-order etc. Reason being it dawned on me i was paying over £1k just to be able to play 1 game (gran turismo 7).

Anyone know the IPD range on this? Just realised I've not seen it mentioned anywhere? With a rather narrow IPD, I'd be interested in knowing (unlikely I buy one, but I will want a new console at some point).

I changed my mind cancelled my pre-order etc. Reason being it dawned on me i was paying over £1k just to be able to play 1 game (gran turismo 7).

This could be the start of a major new thread 'How much have you spent/would spend on a single game (including sims)?

Haha yep, people with $10k racing sim rigs just to play one racing game, nervously shifty eyes. There are racing wheels that cost 3 times more than this headset and people buy it to play one game

This could be the start of a major new thread 'How much have you spent/would spend on a single game (including sims)?

Last edited:
Haha yep, people with $10k racing sim rigs just to play one racing game, nervously shifty eyes. There are racing wheels that cost 3 times more than this headset and people buy it to play one game

Despite having all the bells and whistles, there's not one 'game' that I'd want to play on PS5 so this headset is not for me.

Back
Top Bottom