PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

Lot of scalpers (or failing scalpers) seem to be selling quest pros on ebay for around £800. Still more expensive, but not quite in the ludicrous range it was.

Yeah, be interesting to see how Meta respond later in the year with the Quest 3 pricing. Curious as to whether the improved pancake lenses are featured on the Quest 3 or if they’re saved for a future more expensive Quest 3 Pro?

So, I have tried my PSVR 2 today and it’s going back. Pity as I bought GT7 and RE Village for it, plus bought an extra M.2 drive specifically for VR games. I’ve not used the Horizon code so possibly still get refund for that.
I guess I’ve been ‘spoilt’ by the perfect clarity of my Reverb G2 which uses direct video link, and now with a 4090 driving it things are perfectly smooth without the jitter/ghosting/reprojection due to low GPU horsepower.
Also the grainy film is a bit off putting. I do though love the fact you can wear glasses and it’s perfectly comfortable.
Having a cable attached is not an issue in the man cave where PC is as I have pulley system things up, but where PS5 is in living room it’s not good.
My 3090 wasn’t good enough to get 90fps at full resolution so needed a £1600 graphics card! For the money yes the PSVR2 is excellent value and I bought it for the exclusive games and easy use. The HDR and contrast is great but I’ll stick with PCVR for now.

As to what to get next I am very reluctant to get a headset without direct video link however good and technically superior the actual panels are.

Yeah, be interesting to see how Meta respond later in the year with the Quest 3 pricing. Curious as to whether the improved pancake lenses are featured on the Quest 3 or if they’re saved for a future more expensive Quest 3 Pro?

I don't know if fresnel lenses would be acceptable at this point, their competition in the Pico are already on pancake lenses. I don't expect the microled lcd screens, but I do expect pancake lenses, and with pancake lenses, eye tracking becomes very handy. Pancake and eye tracking and I get a q3 I reckon, especially as the new chip it has should do AV1 decoding (not that I have a graphics card to encode it, but maybe one day).

Well the leaks suggest Q3 will have pancake lenses but with a single screen like Q2, though I'm not sure if that's LCD or MicroLED. It can't be OLED as that's not bright enough for pancake lenses. It will also have eye-relief activated by pressing a button on the headset and pulling the headset in and out. It'll have colour passthrough too.

It's definitely not going to have facial tracking but though it's unlikely to have eye tracking I wouldn't rule it out. To be honest, eye tracking would add much value in terms of rendering improvements plus allowing new forms of interaction so I hope they add it.

Through the lens from MRTV :

tl;dr he says the image is good but not quite up there with high end PCVR.

Got the PSVR2 last week,but feeling Ill over the last week not used it much until this afternoon.

Spent an hour playing Horizon Call Of The Mountain and very impressed with it so far.

A few minor disadvantages that people have mentioned - their is a film grain over the lenses which make it look pixelated unfortunately.But I think it's something you just have to get used to.

You setup the play area and create a boundary just like with the Quest 2, but I lost count how many times it lost the room boundary tracking.Not sure if the room is too dark or too bright,but it was quite annoying.Hopefully they will improve this with further updates or I just need to dim or brighten the room more.

But,having a quest 2 also,I would say it's a step up from the quest 2, obviously with the newer tech it has.

Last edited:
Apparently it's a diamond subpixel arrangement, better than pentile, but not as good as RGB stripe.

Upload VR published an article yesterday based on an Ifixit tear down. According to that, the PSVR 2 uses a Pentile arrangement.

Upload VR published an article yesterday based on an Ifixit tear down. According to that, the PSVR 2 uses a Pentile arrangement.

Yeah that is very disappointing as you lose a significant chunk of actual resolution due to that. It's like a third of your subpixels. It was one of the things I didn't like a about Quest 1 as you could see the SDE at the edges of objects, especially when watching movies, despite it having a reasonable resolution.

PSVR2 has a diffusion layer to make the SDE Less apparent, but that leads to a softer image overall.

Still it's swings and roundabouts as we used to say. Use OLED for HDR and vibrant colours, but get mura and smearing, SDE, and have to use Fresnel lenses, or use some form of LCD for a sharp display and the ability to use pancake lenses but suffer brightness and contrast issues, and washed out colours.

Though the Pro's QLED screens seem to be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:
Personally I think the PSVR2 with Pancake Lenses and QLED screens with local dimming would have been far better than the Fresnel lenses with OLED, as a lot of the comfort and sharpness issues would have been solved.

Last edited:
Yeah that is very disappointing as you lose a significant chunk of actual resolution due to that. It's like a third of your subpixels. It was one of the things I didn't like a about Quest 1 as you could see the SDE at the edges of objects, especially when watching movies, despite it having a reasonable resolution.

PSVR2 has a diffusion layer to make the SDE Less apparent, but that leads to a softer image overall.

Still it's swings and roundabouts as we used to say. Use OLED for HDR and vibrant colours, but get mura and smearing, SDE, and have to use Fresnel lenses, or use some form of LCD for a sharp display and the ability to use pancake lenses but suffer brightness and contrast issues, and washed out colours.

Though the Pro's QLED screens seem to be a reasonable compromise.

It's a cost issue. There had to be compromises. OLED Panels are expensive. OLED panels without drawbacks for VR are even more expensive!!

Personally I think the PSVR2 with Pancake Lenses and QLED screens with local dimming would have been far better than the Fresnel lenses with OLED, as a lot of the comfort and sharpness issues would have been solved.

Probably just down to cost; the solution you speak of would have doubled the headsets price to $1000. When it comes to VR you get what you pay for

Last edited:
I'd like to try GT7 but I usually don't like driving games so don't want to pay full price

I don't normally like driving games myself but now I'm addicted and even bought a steering wheel

Likewise, I actually sold GT7 when it first came out as I found it dull.

VR utterly transforms the game though!

Tempted to buy a wheel as well! That new Logitech play seat bundle looks sweet!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom