PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

Adaptor arrived and just set it up with my 3090.

Did some tweaks and had a 5 minute look at Alyx and I'm happy with it.

Don't know if I'm imagining things or not, but the image seems much sharper on PC than in any of my PS5 games.

Nice. I'm still toying with the idea of trying one out, if it ever comes back at the discount price it was on the Rainforest as you can easily return it if it's crap. (Reverb G2 owner here so I'm concerned the clarity is technically worse, but the OLED goodness is pulling me).

Regarding the sharpness on PC vs PS5 - SteamVR has a silly habit of running headsets at significantly higher res than 'default' (which it would be on PS5), unless you specifically go in and tinker, so it's possible you might be supersampling which does result in a better image. Uses more GPU grunt too obviously. It's not magic though and 'sharper' is a debatable term. You can't make fresnel lenses and a modest res panel into Pimax Crystal fidelity just by supersampling. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nice. I'm still toying with the idea of trying one out, if it ever comes back at the discount price it was on the Rainforest as you can easily return it if it's crap. (Reverb G2 owner here so I'm concerned the clarity is technically worse, but the OLED goodness is pulling me).

Regarding the sharpness on PC vs PS5 - SteamVR has a silly habit of running headsets at significantly higher res than 'default' (which it would be on PS5), unless you specifically go in and tinker, so it's possible you might be supersampling which does result in a better image. Uses more GPU grunt too obviously. It's not magic though and 'sharper' is a debatable term. You can't make fresnel lenses and a modest res panel into Pimax Crystal fidelity just by supersampling. Unfortunately.
I thought SteamVR raised the resolution as default to account for barrel distortion?

Just set mine up about a hour ago and tried a few racing games and coming from a Quest 2 i think it's defo an improvement over that, The OLED panels make all the difference everything has a nice pop to it and you can't beat those nice deep blacks.

Setup was pretty simple but i did run into a problem initially with steam VR saying HMD could not be found and some freezing so i just re installed steam vr again and started fresh and all good now.

No problem with the BT on my PC as of the controllers seem to be working fine i think having the wifi antenna plugged in boosts the BT signal which i never new was a thing until i seen a video about it.

Off to try some Alyx.

Just had a bash on FS2020 and wow absolutely amazing, occasional bit of shaking when moving head around and takes a while to load everything up when first starting but im blown away, worth the cost of the headset alone for FS imo

Just had a bash on FS2020 and wow absolutely amazing, occasional bit of shaking when moving head around and takes a while to load everything up when first starting but im blown away, worth the cost of the headset alone for FS imo

Is this your first VR headset bud? Asking as if it's not I'm curious what people are coming from to the PSVR2, and how they think it compares....

I thought SteamVR raised the resolution as default to account for barrel distortion?

It does to some degree, or it should anyway yes.
For example my reverb G2 has an actual res of 2160x2160 per eye but Steam VR sets it to 3164 x 3092 by 'default' which is technically what it 'should' do to counteract barrel distortion /Hidden Area Mask. But for a while I'm sure it used to set it higher than that which is obviously very very taxing on the GPU and just not necessary in most VR games. Flight Sim 2020 though absolutely loves extreme supersampling, looks great.

PSVR2 has an actual res of 2000x2040 per eye but I have no idea what res the PS5 pumps out/ bumps this up to, to account for barrel distortion etc etc. Maybe it doesn't bump it up much on PS5 - This could be the reason you think things look sharper on PC via SteamVR.

Last edited:
Is this your first VR headset bud? Asking as if it's not I'm curious what people are coming from to the PSVR2, and how they think it compares....
I've tried the rift s, quest 3 but like the psvr2 best, played alyx on all of them but the colours and blacks produced by the psvr2 oled are great imo.
Playing on pc has really shown up the ps5 limitations, of course some will disagree but if you get chance to try it definitely try it out

No, I’ve actually had the original PSVR with ps4 and about 3 quest 2’s (long story) couldn’t really get the quest 2 to work properly with pc and also struggled with wearing my glasses no problems with the psvr2

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one, the OLED nagging and wanting to see for myself was too much. Got from somewhere I can easily return with no hassle or fees if it's rubbish or not better than my current G2. Annoyed I didn't take the plunge now when it was at £350 last week. Still, £420 aint too bad.

I have a sneaking feeling/ prediction I will prefer my G2 for MSFS 2020, but prefer the PSVR2 for everything else. Watch this space....

Last edited:
The psvr2 definitely looks better on the PC, I think this headset was way too good for the ps5, now if only they can get eye tracking, foveated rendering and heptic feedback sorted I may sell my ps5

The psvr2 definitely looks better on the PC, I think this headset was way too good for the ps5, now if only they can get eye tracking, foveated rendering and heptic feedback sorted I may sell my ps5
It does look better on the PC but don't forget steam VR is scaling it up depending on your GPU, for instance it has set mine to 4000+ per eye with a RTX4090 which my pc seems to handle fine but i might try lowering it to see if their is a difference.

I was messing around with the settings and find it hard to tell the difference between 4000 per eye and 8000 per eye while playing Alyx. But if I drop under 3000 per eye I can start to notice it

How do I see my framerate in VR games? I've got no idea what performance I'm getting. Alyx feels like the same framerate at 1000x1000 as it does at 8000x8000

I'm still getting some weird tracking issues. The controllers never drop out using the tp link Bluetooth adapter, however the latency is still higher than it is on the PS5, I don't think there is any way to reduce the latency, it's ok for most stuff but I wouldn't not want to play beat saber etc with this latency

And the left controller keeps losing tracking from the headset. When I've got my hands on my sides or on my lap, the left controller in games needs losing tracking while the right works fine, the left only works properly if I have my hands up so the headset can see the controllers better... weird

Last edited:
I was messing around with the settings and find it hard to tell the difference between 4000 per eye and 8000 per eye while playing Alyx. But if I drop under 3000 per eye I can start to notice it

How do I see my framerate in VR games? I've got no idea what performance I'm getting. Alyx feels like the same framerate at 1000x1000 as it does at 8000x8000

I'm still getting some weird tracking issues. The controllers never drop out using the tp link Bluetooth adapter, however the latency is still higher than it is on the PS5, I don't think there is any way to reduce the latency, it's ok for most stuff but I wouldn't not want to play beat saber etc with this latency

And the left controller keeps losing tracking from the headset. When I've got my hands on my sides or on my lap, the left controller in games needs losing tracking while the right works fine, the left only works properly if I have my hands up so the headset can see the controllers better... weird

Yeah i tried dropping it down to around 68% scaling which is what a few people on certain forums recommended for PSVR2 and i did not notice much change but left it at that for now.

I use a program called fpsVR to show the fps during games it's a great little program that can do much more than just show fps you can even change the resolution on the fly amongst other things. it's not free but for £3 from steam it worth it imo.

No tracking issues here as yet and i am not sure how to test for bt latency but they feel fine to me, i am using the built in bt on my motherboard with antenna.

Maybe the bt signal is the cause of the left controller issue have your tried moving the bt adapter.

I’m getting tempted to try PSVR2 on my PC (4090 & 7800X3D). I sent mine back after a couple of days when it came out as PS5 was way too underpowered to drive it.
One thing though was the mesh/filter effect that was really evident, especially in dark scenes. Is that still there?
Otherwise it was a great headset. Seemed a big jump from my Quest 2 and Reverb G2 due to the OLED panels. I’ve still not had any noticeable enjoyment upgrade from my Q3 over Q2 so need something to get me back into VR again

I’m getting tempted to try PSVR2 on my PC (4090 & 7800X3D). I sent mine back after a couple of days when it came out as PS5 was way too underpowered to drive it.
One thing though was the mesh/filter effect that was really evident, especially in dark scenes. Is that still there?
Otherwise it was a great headset. Seemed a big jump from my Quest 2 and Reverb G2 due to the OLED panels. I’ve still not had any noticeable enjoyment upgrade from my Q3 over Q2 so need something to get me back into VR again

That mesh/filter effect could be still there. It's either screen door effect, due to the gap between the OLED pixels, or it's mura which is an effect caused by the brightness of pixels not being uniform across the image.

The picture quality on PC should be better anyway as it can drive the headset at full Res and refresh depending on how powerful your PC is.

No difference in actual perceivable visual quality by setting above ~4000 per eye as it's just the law of diminishing returns and you will just be punishing your GPU and framerate for no reason. I've found this with my reverb g2 which is almost the same res panels and lenses. The Fresnel lenses and the actual native res of the panels can only 'deliver' so much to your eyeballs. It's the same basic principle with flat screen monitors - you can't make an actual 1080p monitor a 4k monitor just by supersampling the resolution to 4k levels. You'll get lovely AA and a much smoother look but it doesn't have actual better clarity.

On the PSVR2 and similar, supersampling above the native, up to about 4000, is effectively hardcore anti aliasing so it does improve the image. It doesn't however actually make it sharper as such. Sharpening via reshade for VR can help a touch with general 'softness' of an image, so that's worth looking into.

My PSVR2 and bits arrived today, so expect some autist levels of testing and feedback hopefully from me later at some stage....

VERY QUICK FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Really disappointed. Just been doing a 2 hour comparison between my Reverb G2 and the PSVR2, and the PSVR2 is poor. This isn't hyperbole, I'm genuinely quite shocked at how bad it is. The clarity of the G2 is light years ahead, such a cleaner crisper image. The mura / screen door effect of the PSVR2 was immediately apparent to me also and it is just atrocious. The G2 has zero artefacts like this in comparison. Zero.
The only saving grace of the PSVR2 is the OLED black levels and the general higher brightness, but with the mura, really - what's the point!? The only positive I can say about the PSVR2 is the controllers which I like a lot.

I genuinely don't know what most of the youtube reviewers I've watched are smoking. I can only assume they've been paid off by Sony.

I'll do some more testing and double check my settings, but this isn't my first rodeo. I know what I'm doing and even tried adding some reshade sharpening to some games to see if it helped, but no. I just don't see how the PSVR2 can have the same fresnel lenses and basically same resolution panels as my G2, and look this bad in terms of clarity. In SKyrim VR it felt like (if I was playing in normal flatscreen mode) I'd switched from 4k to 1080p.

Last edited:
No difference in actual perceivable visual quality by setting above ~4000 per eye as it's just the law of diminishing returns and you will just be punishing your GPU and framerate for no reason. I've found this with my reverb g2 which is almost the same res panels and lenses. The Fresnel lenses and the actual native res of the panels can only 'deliver' so much to your eyeballs. It's the same basic principle with flat screen monitors - you can't make an actual 1080p monitor a 4k monitor just by supersampling the resolution to 4k levels. You'll get lovely AA and a much smoother look but it doesn't have actual better clarity.

On the PSVR2 and similar, supersampling above the native, up to about 4000, is effectively hardcore anti aliasing so it does improve the image. It doesn't however actually make it sharper as such. Sharpening via reshade for VR can help a touch with general 'softness' of an image, so that's worth looking into.

My PSVR2 and bits arrived today, so expect some autist levels of testing and feedback hopefully from me later at some stage....

Really disappointed. Just been doing a 2 hour comparison between my Reverb G2 and the PSVR2, and the PSVR2 is poor. This isn't hyperbole, I'm genuinely quite shocked at how bad it is. The clarity of the G2 is light years ahead, such a cleaner crisper image. The mura / screen door effect of the PSVR2 was immediately apparent to me also and it is just atrocious. The G2 has zero artefacts like this in comparison. Zero.
The only saving grace of the PSVR2 is the OLED black levels and the general higher brightness, but with the mura, really - what's the point!? The only positive I can say about the PSVR2 is the controllers which I like a lot.

I genuinely don't know what most of the youtube reviewers I've watched are smoking. I can only assume they've been paid off by Sony.

I'll do some more testing and double check my settings, but this isn't my first rodeo. I know what I'm doing and even tried adding some reshade sharpening to some games to see if it helped, but no. I just don't see how the PSVR2 can have the same fresnel lenses and basically same resolution panels as my G2, and look this bad in terms of clarity. In SKyrim VR it felt like (if I was playing in normal flatscreen mode) I'd switched from 4k to 1080p.

Interesting early thoughts. I did note one YT review of the PSVR, being used with a PC, did echo your own in findings. Noting the type of lenses used and the early iteration of OLED panels not being the best or the latest in terms of tech. Whilst he did enjoy the headset, noting some qualities, he still very much favoured the Quest 3 overall. I had watched that many videos I can't remember the exact one to link it.

Will it be a keeper for you..?

A

What is Mura out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom