PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

A

What is Mura out of interest?

Mura shows up as a grey patchy fog or speckling in dark scenes on OLED headsets. The pattern doesn't move when the image moves, and more importantly is different in each eye's panel, so it can be distracting.

It's unique to each headset (some have little or no mura, others have loads). It's caused by inconsistent brightness on individual OLED pixels, when some OLED pixels turn off, others may be showing a very dark grey.
It is possible to calibrate the panels the factory to improve this, (The Rift CV1 had this) but doesn't look like Sony do this with the PSVR2.

To be honest the Quest Pro QLED panels, despite not being the highest resolution, are the best I've tried so far. No mura, very bright (blindingly so in some scenes), and extremely vibrant colours. The Q3 looks very washed out by comparison, and doesn't look hugely sharper.
The local dimming on the Pro means that when you get a black screen it shows as black and not dark grey, though you do get haloing around bright objects due to the limited number of dimming zones, but for the majority of games and content I find it a big improvement.

I was interested in getting a PSVR2 for PC but it increasingly seems like overall it's just not worth it over the Pro, or Q3, except perhaps for the uncompressed image over display port.

VERY QUICK FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Really disappointed. Just been doing a 2 hour comparison between my Reverb G2 and the PSVR2, and the PSVR2 is poor. This isn't hyperbole, I'm genuinely quite shocked at how bad it is. The clarity of the G2 is light years ahead, such a cleaner crisper image. The mura / screen door effect of the PSVR2 was immediately apparent to me also and it is just atrocious. The G2 has zero artefacts like this in comparison. Zero.
The only saving grace of the PSVR2 is the OLED black levels and the general higher brightness, but with the mura, really - what's the point!? The only positive I can say about the PSVR2 is the controllers which I like a lot.

I genuinely don't know what most of the youtube reviewers I've watched are smoking. I can only assume they've been paid off by Sony.

I'll do some more testing and double check my settings, but this isn't my first rodeo. I know what I'm doing and even tried adding some reshade sharpening to some games to see if it helped, but no. I just don't see how the PSVR2 can have the same fresnel lenses and basically same resolution panels as my G2, and look this bad in terms of clarity. In SKyrim VR it felt like (if I was playing in normal flatscreen mode) I'd switched from 4k to 1080p.

It's not your settings. Last weekend I compared a PSVR 2 with a Quest 3(wireless PCVR) And I reached the same conclusion as you, the PSVR 2 isn't great at all. There is massive difference in clarity between the two headsets. Sure the Quest 3 has compression artifacts, but not in every game and with a proper setup and configuration you might not notice them at all unless you go looking. Whereas the PSVR 2 has mura, and to use your word, it's atrocious!!

The poor clarity and the bad mura kill this headset. The saving graces you mention above don't come close to saving it for me.

And to think I have seen some reports saying that the PSVR 2 has much better clarity when connected to a PC. I can't imagine how bad it is when connected to a Playstation!!

Back
Top Bottom