PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Soldato
Soldato
I have that one in my PS3 at the moment (it'll get swapped over in the next few months), works well and seems noticeably quicker than the 320GB drive it came with at least.

Caporegime
The mechanical part is 5400rpm although Seagate state it runs upto 4x faster than a traditional 5400rpm drive.

if it runs 4x faster than a traditional 5400rpm drive then nobody would be buying SSD's, etc.

in some special instances it might be but overall it will be like 5-10% faster at best

SSD > HYBRID > MECHANICAL

simple as that really

Soldato
if it runs 4x faster than a traditional 5400rpm drive then nobody would be buying SSD's, etc.

in some special instances it might be but overall it will be like 5-10% faster at best

SSD > HYBRID > MECHANICAL

simple as that really

I'd love to get an SSD in there but thinking about it and looking at what I play and have on pre-order I don't think the 1TB would last that long so I think the 2TB will be the best option.

I assume the drive is no slower than the one that comes with the PS4?

Also do you still have to turn off HDCP to get the drive working or has than been changed in recent updates ?

Associate
Well upgraded my ps4 hdd over the weekend with one of these sweet 2tb drives :) awesome!!! Taking case apart very easy, was delicate as wanted to keep casing for old 500GB ps4 drive.

one point though anyone been able to use the old 500GB hdd in the Seagate casing as a backup drive for ps4. 500GB seems plenty for game saves and screenshots/ video storage. But ive tried everything formatting it to fat32 and exfat using windows and a 3rd party app "partition wizard".
Seen in windows fine but get the old " USB storage not connected" on ps4 :/

Soldato
Well upgraded my ps4 hdd over the weekend with one of these sweet 2tb drives :) awesome!!! Taking case apart very easy, was delicate as wanted to keep casing for old 500GB ps4 drive.

one point though anyone been able to use the old 500GB hdd in the Seagate casing as a backup drive for ps4. 500GB seems plenty for game saves and screenshots/ video storage. But ive tried everything formatting it to fat32 and exfat using windows and a 3rd party app "partition wizard".
Seen in windows fine but get the old " USB storage not connected" on ps4 :/

Dont think USB storage for media has been enabled yet for the PS4..... could be wrong though

Associate
you can xfer recorded game videos/screenshots and game saves to usb storage devices. The only thing I can think of is the Seagate adaptor/controller attached to the drive isn't allowing it to be seen as a usb storage device perhaps on the ps4 ?

edit:- after testing it on my ps3 it does show up and is named Backup+ so it seems this is down to the hdd /ps4 communication. Bummer ah well wait till the external HDD compliance is added then it should work.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks to this thread Ive just successfully upgraded my PS4 to a Seagate 2TB HD.

Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black.

** Competitor products and pricing removed **

IMG_6037_zps26e8023d.jpg

Its the one with the sloping front to the enclosure. After downloading the latest update to a usb stick (not all my usb sticks would fit into the PS4??) which I formatted on my macbook pro to MS DOS, I got to work, and unplugged my PS4.

The enclosure opened up easily with a small sharp kitchen knife. To fit it into the PS4 caddy I had to remove the 4 x small rubber bungs and the 4 x small screws, then slid it into the PS4 enclosure and reassembled in reverse. I put the usb stick into the PS4 before plugging it back in, connecting the controller via usb cable, then turning on the PS4. Then went through the setting up procedure again, time/date/wifi etc.

I was able to place the original PS4 500gb HD into the Seagate enclosure, screw in the 4 x screws, cover with the rubber bungs, and click the enclosure back on. Easy peasy lemon squeazy. Took about 10 mins.

Last edited:
Associate
Squeaky lemons are more juicy.

I have to admit to screwing up when I bought my PS4 & 2TB HD. I assumed that the PS4 would have ext HD support, allowing me to move across the 300gb of camcorder video files that are stored on my PS3. So getting the 2TB HD was a no brainer. Then I realised I couldn't do that. So now I have a 2TB PS4, which is probably 1.9TB to big.

Caporegime
Squeaky lemons are more juicy.

I have to admit to screwing up when I bought my PS4 & 2TB HD. I assumed that the PS4 would have ext HD support, allowing me to move across the 300gb of camcorder video files that are stored on my PS3. So getting the 2TB HD was a no brainer. Then I realised I couldn't do that. So now I have a 2TB PS4, which is probably 1.9TB to big.

I bought a 500GB Hybrid @ launch. it was a no brainer, I sold the stock drive for £30+, costing me £20 to upgrade from stock to a Hybrid.

I load into destiny (tower) a good 10+ seconds quicker than people on stock. I'm usually finished doing everything by the time people on stock load in.

I'm sitting with about 200GB free and it's full of games I don't even play. The next drive I get will be another 500GB hybrid or SSD when one is released with a bigger flash portion. IIRC it's currently 8GB of flash memory. I think Ideally a 16GB portion of flash on a 500GB drive would be ideal and I hope they release better hybrids soon.

The future is hybrid drives, you get the best of both performance and cost, SSD is if you really value performance and willing to pay for it. Mechanical only IMO shouldn't be used as the main drive in any machine any more and it should only be used for storage purposes.

I honestly don't see why anyone needs more than 500GB of space on a PS4. People are moaning constantly about a lack of games. I would like to see anyone with more than 400GB worth of games they actually play on their console, I have approx 150GB worth of games I actually play stored on it.

Soldato
I honestly don't see why anyone needs more than 500GB of space on a PS4. People are moaning constantly about a lack of games. I would like to see anyone with more than 400GB worth of games they actually play on their console, I have approx 150GB worth of games I actually play stored on it.

Some people would rather the convenience of being able to play whatever game they own, whenever they want, without the requirement of having to download/install, patch, and restore previous save games. I'd certainly take that over a few seconds shaved off the load times of one game on an SSD hybrid.

Soldato
I had to upgrade mine before Destiny as I was already having to delete some things.. I upgraded to a 2TB and was surprised how quick and easy it was to do, I would have gone for an SSD if I could have a 2TB one.

Back
Top Bottom