Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
Not sure mate, sorry. I don't have the router myself. It might be called something else completely, as that's basically a chinese router.

EDIT: if you just switch to AC mode that will disable OFDMA, as that's a Wifi 6 technology.

Cheers, running in ac mode now and not wifi6 and seems stable over airlink so think I'll stick with the honor

Soldato
Bought a Huawei AX3(Honor 3) in the sale, straight up worse than my old bt home hub6 when used in both ax and ac modes. It will be going back, what a pile of ****.

Soldato
Bought a Huawei AX3(Honor 3) in the sale, straight up worse than my old bt home hub6 when used in both ax and ac modes. It will be going back, what a pile of ****.

Are you using it to replace the home hub or using it as a dedicated router for the quest 2?

Soldato
Had a second homehub wired directly to my pc as dedicated hotspot for quest 2, replacing that with the huawei.

The Honor 3s are so variable in Quality. They definitely wouldn't be good enough for a Quest 2 as well as doing the duties as the main router in the home. But, usually, they are good enough for the Quest 2 when used as a dedicated router. You must have got a particularly bad model.

Was there some problem with the old home hub that you felt you needed to replace it?

Soldato
The Honor 3s are so variable in Quality. They definitely wouldn't be good enough for a Quest 2 as well as doing the duties as the main router in the home. But, usually, they are good enough for the Quest 2 when used as a dedicated router. You must have got a particularly bad model.

Was there some problem with the old home hub that you felt you needed to replace it?

No problem really, just thought i would try out wifi6 see if i could bump up the bitrates.

Soldato
No problem really, just thought i would try out wifi6 see if i could bump up the bitrates.

I don't think you will notice any difference between Wifi 6 and Wifi 5 when using the Quest 2. Both Virtual Desktop and Airlink are limited to bitrates well below what Wifi 5 can handle.

Saying that, you might notice a difference by getting a better router, either AX or AC. One that can better sustain a constant throughput. Of course, that depends on how good or bad the home hub is. (I have never used one, so I don't know) And if you are going to buy might as well buy a Wifi 6 one. Just stay away from the TP Link AX1500.

Soldato
I don't think you will notice any difference between Wifi 6 and Wifi 5 when using the Quest 2. Both Virtual Desktop and Airlink are limited to bitrates well below what Wifi 5 can handle.

Saying that, you might notice a difference by getting a better router, either AX or AC. One that can better sustain a constant throughput. Of course, that depends on how good or bad the home hub is. (I have never used one, so I don't know) And if you are going to buy might as well buy a Wifi 6 one. Just stay away from the TP Link AX1500.

Thats what i was hoping from the ax3 but its link speed its worse than the homehubs in ac and ax modes.

Associate

I was looking at these and certainly for the Huawei branded model there are different versions with regard to core count and I think memory as well. Not easy to tell which you're buying. I bought an Asus AX82 and now that I've let the Quest have 5ghz to itself it's very good. The other stuff in the house is on 2.4 and working better than with the 600mbs power link and 10/100 switch that I used to have cluttering up downstairs.

Associate
Hi all I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who have posted in this thread, without it I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to configure the Honor router as an access point. I bought mine for £25!!! and I'm now getting 1200mbs speeds in the same room as the router, which I'm very pleased with. I'm not going to lie, getting the router set up I did not find to be easy, but I managed it in the end. I think the Quest 2 is a game changer for VR as it's wireless, and with Virtual Desktop all of the games on Steam are available which is brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who have posted in this thread, without it I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to configure the Honor router as an access point. I bought mine for £25!!! and I'm now getting 1200mbs speeds in the same room as the router, which I'm very pleased with. I'm not going to lie, getting the router set up I did not find to be easy, but I managed it in the end. I think the Quest 2 is a game changer for VR as it's wireless, and with Virtual Desktop all of the games on Steam are available which is brilliant.

From all of us who have posted in this thread. We say.....

You are welcome!!

:p:D

Soldato
Bit of a bump here.

I can see an offer on the huawei ax3 dual core (though the guff says quad core, going to assume dual), that may come with US/EU plug (it's random...), so it's all a bit dodgy on that front. However, for the price, it's rather tempting to try. Via an online marketplace.

Wanted to know from people that have it, how well it works and what setup they've used? It's basically identical to the honor wifi6 router.

From what I've read the range isn't that impressive, but this would basically be used in the same room as the PC anyway.

Soldato
Bit of a bump here.

I can see an offer on the huawei ax3 dual core (though the guff says quad core, going to assume dual), that may come with US/EU plug (it's random...), so it's all a bit dodgy on that front. However, for the price, it's rather tempting to try. Via an online marketplace.

Wanted to know from people that have it, how well it works and what setup they've used? It's basically identical to the honor wifi6 router.

From what I've read the range isn't that impressive, but this would basically be used in the same room as the PC anyway.

Yeah, I am not sure I would. you might get lucky and get a good one, or you might be unlucky and get a crap one. Is it just for the AX you want it? Or do you not have a dedicated router and are looking for a cheap option?

Soldato
Yeah, I am not sure I would. you might get lucky and get a good one, or you might be unlucky and get a crap one. Is it just for the AX you want it? Or do you not have a dedicated router and are looking for a cheap option?

It would just be for connecting to the computer and using for the quest 2.

Soldato
Just got the vodafone modem/router in the lounge, nothing dedicated.

It worked pretty well. Haven't noticed having lag or network problems.

As for the Honor 3/Huawei AX3, if you are buying from a place you can easily return to, then it might be worth trying. They are a little harder to configure. As long as it's dedicated to the Quest 2, you should be fine. Hard to beat the price.

Soldato
It worked pretty well. Haven't noticed having lag or network problems.

As for the Honor 3/Huawei AX3, if you are buying from a place you can easily return to, then it might be worth trying. They are a little harder to configure. As long as it's dedicated to the Quest 2, you should be fine. Hard to beat the price.

Hmm, we've just had an offer accepted (yay!), but it's a 3 storey flat, so I think I'm going to need to work out exactly how I'm handling all this. Currently got a powerline adapter set with wifi, so guess that'll be used. Think this has to go on the back burner temporarily. Though it does look like I'm going to have a decent sized VR play space!

Soldato
Hmm, we've just had an offer accepted (yay!), but it's a 3 storey flat, so I think I'm going to need to work out exactly how I'm handling all this. Currently got a powerline adapter set with wifi, so guess that'll be used. Think this has to go on the back burner temporarily. Though it does look like I'm going to have a decent sized VR play space!

You are moving into a new house? Congratulations mate :)

Soldato
You are moving into a new house? Congratulations mate :)

First time buyers, living with my mum at the moment, which hasn't been bad, but it's time to move on. We're moving about 3 minutes walk away :D. Even less as the crow flies, in fact having just checked, I've realised we're less than 100m away, and can see it from here! Both are at the end of closes, that go away from the other, so you have to travel much further to cover what is basically 1 neighbours house away.

Back
Top Bottom