***Quest Pro Owners Club***

they do light blockers

Honestly, I've been playing with the Quest Pro without any light blockers, as my room is very dim in the daytime, and it doesn't take away from the immersion for me. Just nice to have a cool face and no foggy lenses for long play sessions, especially in HIIT workouts.

So what's driving the multiple virtual desktop screens then? The headset or your PC? Just wondering about productivity as I WFH two days a week but was thinking about if it's any good doing office stuff via it.

The Pro's full light blocker isn't supposed to be much better than the side blockers. There's a significant nose gap, and I'm wondering if that's due to face tracking.

I'm going to wait and see what VR Cover, AMVR or Kiwi design come up with for new comfort/facial interface options, as I don't think the official full light blocker is worth the money, plus you can't charge the headset on the dock with it attached!

Really the full light blocker should have been included with the headset - along with the mini controller dock, or at least two controller charge cables rather than one.

The Pro's full light blocker isn't supposed to be much better than the side blockers. There's a significant nose gap, and I'm wondering if that's due to face tracking.

I'm going to wait and see what VR Cover, AMVR or Kiwi design come up with for new comfort/facial interface options, as I don't think the official full light blocker is worth the money, plus you can't charge the headset on the dock with it attached!

Really the full light blocker should have been included with the headset - along with the mini controller dock, or at least two controller charge cables rather than one.

Mayve personal preference, but after much time with the Quest Pro I don't even use the side blockers, I can still feel fully immersed without any covers.
Maybe give that a try for a while, and you will adjust to the freedom and openness of the HMD. That said if in a very kit area where you may get light reflection in the lenses, then having the side light blockers help.

That looks ace and most importantly doesn't block the speakers.

Edit: Tempted but shipping is £15, so comes out to £32.

Installation video here:

Yeah, pricey for what it is when you include the shipping cost.

I don't think it will be long before we see other alternatives.

I ordered that Dead-eye strap as it does look by far the best design, which also makes it possible to attach a battery. Also as I had the item in my cart and left it for a bit to think over it I got a 10% discount emailed to me as an incentive.

I imagine VR cover will make something eventually, but their shipping costs tend to be high too.

I just need some time over the christmas break to disassemble my spare broken Elite Battery Strap to remove the strap, and turn it into an attachable one for the Pro. I imagine I could thread through a velcro strap or cable ties and it'd tie really nicely to that strap, just above the actual rear battery. As that battery is curved it should fit nicely around my head, and the weight will be distributed a bit more evenly.

I'll have to try connecting that battery to the Quest Pro first though - it'll be interesting to see if the Quest Pro treats it like the Quest 2 does and shows separate levels for the internal and external battery. Only the elite battery strap does that.

Loks like it should be easy enough to attach a battery with the Dead Eye strap as plenty of strap at back to do so., I was going to buy a battery holder for the quest 2, but in the end with the Kiwi design strap I didn't need to, a little bit of velcro on the back of battery and the correspoing part of velcro on Kiwi strap, with a few bits of elastic did the job.

On the subject of batteries I got this one from Argos,

its a good battery but the annoying thing with it is, that I have to hold the battery button for 15 seconds to switch it off or else pull out the cable.

Got a better battery at Lidl for £12.99 a Tronic one two quick pushes on battery button and its off.

I find that a 50 cm cable length is right length for connecting battery to headset, I tried 30 cm but too short.

Last edited:
You can pick up broken elite battery straps very cheaply as Meta don't require you to send the broken strap back when they replace it, so they end up on eBay.
If they can be modded to strap onto Quest Pro they'll make an ideal add-on.

Having tested this a bit over the last day or so i can say it's got some extremely good points and some bad ones, some of which will undoubtedly be fixed in software.

The good:
  • The lenses are so clear and the colours so vibrant that other LCD headsets look very muted by comparison - and thats without local dimming turned on. Hopefully they will find a way to get that automatically turned on for all apps without adding latency.
  • The panels are very sharp. SDE is a little more apparent but even though the resolution is slightly less than the Quest 2 it just looks sharper and text is clearer.
  • The controllers are amazing. They take a while to locate themselves in 3D space but once they track they've been rock solid for me. They're especially great for games with reloading mechanics. They just don't get in the way like other controllers with tracking rings do. I can pull the bowstring in In Death right behind my ear and it doesn't lose tracking.
  • The eye and face tracking work really well, though not many apps support this yet.
  • The colour passthrough is much better than reviewers have been making out. Yes its grainy and not especially high res, plus there are colour artefacts, but the difference the passthrough makes when moving out of your playspace to grab things or for mixed reality gaming is incredible. I'm amazed how the scale and 3D matches exactly what your real eyes see. It's way more useful than the monochrome passthrough. Plus mixed reality games are just incredible, something I've never experienced before.
  • It's much more glasses friendly than any other headset I've tried, at least with the blinders off.
  • The FOV is noticably bigger than Quest 2. Not as big as Index, but very good overall, especially with the eye relief dialled in. It has a much more oval FOV than other headsets.
  • PC games over airlink look great, despite the aliasing being a bit more noticable due to the sharpness of the lenses. Due to the more vibrant colours, games like Skyrim and No Mans Sky look way better, and compression didn't seem as noticable. When loading Skyrim I was struck by the level of detail and colour in the textures of a statue shown on the loading screen which I've never noticed before.
  • The charging dock is nice.
  • Edit: Just tried some 3D movies, and they look incredible. Noticably sharper and more colourful.

The bad:
  • The onboarding is awful. For a next-gen headset with eye and face tracking you'd expect that the first thing you'd get when putting on the headset is a tutorial to get the right IPD, fit and get the eye tracking, etc. working. In fact there's nothing. The only way I could find to easily get the fit and comfort tutorial (which sets up IPD, eyetracking, etc.) to trigger was to play the game Red Matter 2 which has foveated rendering support. This is something Meta needs to address.
  • It's not amazingly comfortable, though I have managed to get it reasonably so. The trouble is that getting it tight enough to stop it wobbling around leaves a red mark on your forehead. It just feels a bit precarious. Also I keep on trying to pick it up by a non-existent top strap! Hopefully the top strap I've ordered should help with comfort and carrying :) I hope we'll have some alternate, softer head padding at some point. Maybe even cotton covers.
  • The side blinders work, but they're not really designed to work with glasses. It's very awkward to get the headset on with glasses attached with the blinders on. This is one reason I want to get prescription lenses. Also I really could do with a decent full face gasket for proper immersion, as there's quite a bit of reflection on the lenses if you don't have blinders attached.
  • The lenses/panels do exhibit a bit of glow at the edges in dark scenes similar to IPS glow on PC monitors, though this can be minimised by dialling in the eye-relief and making sure the headset is adjusted properly. Hopefully local dimming can also help with that.
  • Airlink seems pretty buggy right now. I couldn't get 90hz to work - it just quit when activated. 72hz looks pretty smooth though. It's interesting to note the headset can support 80hz, which is a nice compromise.
  • There doesn't seem to be many apps on the store supporting mixed-reality. It'd be nice to have some more free demos. I've not tried the full room setup yet, which apparently is a pain due to no depth sensor.
  • Battery life isn't amazing, but it's good enough. I tried the Quest 2 elite battery strap battery on it and it doesn't recognise it the same way as it does on Quest 2, but it does charge, so that seems like a good option for an add-on battery.
Overall Quest Pro feels like a work in progress, a bit like the Quest 2 was when it first launched.

I can see how this is going to be a development platform and test bed for features the Quest 3 will support, and I anticipate some big improvements on the software side over the next year.

Is it good enough to get rid of my Index... I'm not so sure! I'll need to play with a link cabled and try some proper sims first. Certainly the controllers are so good I don't feel the Index controllers are any better in practice now.

Last edited:
I got one shortly before Christmas, tbh I have been struggling with it, I don't think it's worth £1500, but it is significantly better than the g2 in many ways.

I find it odd that in order to get the best image you have to ignore anything that is default or any meta recommendations.
I'm not sure if the image is too good for msfs or not good enough. Ie is it showing up imperfections in msfs.

Anyway I feel I can see a lot more detail and a lot more edge to edge. In the cockpit the controls and levers just look something else.

Believe it or not, as I fly with a joystick on my knee I sometimes have a double take on whether I should be grabbing the in game yoke.

I use the side shields and find them adequate, I don't mind the opening below.

Comfort wise I find it much less claustrophobic than the g2 and I can where it for longer.

Charging wise I seem to be getting more used to it, I initially had problems making sure it was charging at all.
Tracking is very good much better than the g2, I had a go on half life alyx and found it excellent, the controllers are obviously much better than the g2,

Tldr, I have yet to see 1500 quids worth but it is a significant improvement over the g2 imo and probably better than anything else. If you don't desperately care about the money get it.

Yeah I'd say it's about £500 overpriced. Still I just put on my Index to set it up for some local multiplayer Walkabout Minigolf, and the Index looked so grainy and low res by comparison. It was a bit shocking how bad it was to be honest.

I tried Elite Dangerous on the Pro using Airlink and it was absolutely astounding. A level of clarity I have never seen in the game before. It's like watching a film in HD after watching it previously on DVD.

The text was sharp and clear, and you could easily make out the shapes of the spacehips off in a distance. The HUD lines were sharp, and the colours and details on the planets really popped. There was still some aliasing on the space stations but it wasn't that bad, and the only time I thought perhaps compression might have been slightly noticable was in a station interior that had some fog. This is amazing considering this is on Airlink rather than a wired link.

The FOV didn't even seem that much worse than the index - I could only just see the top of the display with my eyes looking up. There's no way I could go back to playing Elite on an Index.

I also tried IL2 Sturmovik and Project Cars. In IL2 all the gauges were readable, and it was possible to clearly see into the distance. Project Cars looked great though it showed up the low settings I'd set as it was a bit aliased in the distance -could do with some supersampling there I think, though that would require a beefier card.

What's amazing is this is at a similar resolution to the Quest 2. You can see the SDE if you look for it but for some reason the image is sharp regardless.

I'm surprised you had so much joy with the air link tbh. I can only use the cable, mainly because my pc is wireless as well.
Apparently the rtx4090 is unsupported hardware at the moment, I spent ages trying to find the cause of artefacts in blue sky, stumbled across a thread on oculus where others are having the same issue. Anyway, it appears to be asw causing it, I use ott, and if it does it I toggle asw on or off, doesn't seem to matter which way it is set.
I've also set ss to 1.6 seems to be a good compromise, hopefully they'll fine tune things for the 4090 and that should see a big improvement.

Played a bit more of alyx, fantastic game on sale at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom