***Quest Pro Owners Club***

The main issue I have with Airlink is 90hz causes it to quit. I've also had some audio crackling. It does seem that Airlink is quite buggy on Pro, which is surprising as the hardware isn't that different from the Quest 2. Hopefully Meta will fix it.

One thing that surprised me is the more I wear it the more comfortable it seems to get. I've had no Problem watching a 2 hour long movie in it. Maybe I'm just getting used to the way it feels as I'm not used to a halo style strap.

I've not had an issue with 90Hz 1.7x render with Airlink at 200Mbps fixed. I am hard wired to my router from PC. So this sounds like a setup issue on the router, or if it does not support at least WiFi 5 at 80Mhz.
If you are using your ISP provided router then this is the biggest bottleneck.

Regarding resolution, due to the Pro using two panels attached to the lens stack vs one on the Quest 2, you get more "visible" resulting in a higher resolution, higher Pixels Per degree, so the image is super sharp.

Also, not sure how you are able to see the edge of the display as the lens stack is fixed to the panels in the Pro, where the Quest 2 lens stack share one panel, and slides across the screen, so you will see this.

In regards to aliasing, this is more pronounced due to the displays being angled so the pixels become diagonally rather than horizontal and vertical. This increases the aliasing effect on level lines.
That said, adding high anti-aliasing and/or supersampling reduces this till it's not noticable.

To really get the most from the Pro you need a 4090 and link cable 1.7x render resolution, 500Mbps bit rate, Link Sharpening ON, to really get the best experience, amd get levels of details like you can from the likes of the G2, Varjo Aero.

My Quest 2 has no issues with 90hz on Airlink, so this looks like a Pro specific issue to me.

When I say seeing the top edge when looking up, I'm not literally meaning I can see the panel edges like I can on the left and right of the Quest 2, rather that I can just see the top curve of the 'ski goggles' effect you get with every headset around the actual VR display. On the Index the FOV is so tall you can't see the top edge of the VR display area. However there is very little in it here compared to Quest Pro. In fact on the Index, with the lenses dialled right in I can actually see the panel edges if I look to the extreme left or right.

One little trick I've discovered with the controllers is they seem to start tracking quicker if you hold them up in front of the headset when you pick them up.

My Quest 2 has no issues with 90hz on Airlink, so this looks like a Pro specific issue to me.

When I say seeing the top edge when looking up, I'm not literally meaning I can see the panel edges like I can on the left and right of the Quest 2, rather that I can just see the top curve of the 'ski goggles' effect you get with every headset around the actual VR display. On the Index the FOV is so tall you can't see the top edge of the VR display area. However there is very little in it here compared to Quest Pro. In fact on the Index, with the lenses dialled right in I can actually see the panel edges if I look to the extreme left or right.

One little trick I've discovered with the controllers is they seem to start tracking quicker if you hold them up in front of the headset when you pick them up.

I am enrolled on the beta Oculus Desktop App.
Have you manually checked for updates on the headset? As there has been a couple of releases since you had it packed away till Xmas.
I also do a Power down and reboot after any update both on HMD and PC to make sure these new changes are taking effect.

Regarding your ski goggle look, I get what you're saying, but I have to press my eyes up against the lenses to see that?
I guess every hunan has different eyes, so this milage may very person to person.
Otherwise this curve is only noticable with a camera at an angle seen in some of the screenshots I posted on the first page.

Vertical FOV is ~96 degrees visible on Pro
Index is 104 degrees visible.
So I see what you mean regarding vertical FOV.

Yep everything is up to date, plus I tend to turn off the headset when not using it, so I have restarted it several times.
I also have an issue where the IPD numbers are no longer appearing when I move the lenses, even when using the fit and calibration app, though the app knew when I was moving them.

And it looks like the IPD value display has returned, so that's one less thing to worry about. I just ordered some prescription lenses, but my prescription has increased so they're more expensive now.

Though the headset is the most glasses friendly I've ever tried (at least without the blinders), it's a bit of a pain getting the headset on and off with the blinders attached. I like having the lenses dialed in for max FOV but I'm wary of scratching the lenses which is another reason I prefer prescription lenses.

Tempted to upgrade my current Rift CV1, which has been brilliant and just... works!... with either the Pro or the Quest2.

My current PC (an aging i7 6820HK and GTX1080) can just about keep up with my current headset, although some of the really new games require some compromise on detail levels (looking at you, Flight Simulator...)

I assume a large hardware upgrade would be essential? Quite a lot of you are using RTX 3000/4000 cards?

For higher resolution headsets playing PC VR you really need a 3000/4000 series card to do them justice, plus a lot of PC VR games are very CPU heavy - No Mans Sky and Flight Simulator for example.

That said even running at lower than native panel resolution you get a lot of advantages over the CV1 due to massively reduced, almost invisible SDE.

However the advantage with Quest and Quest Pro is you're not limited to playing PC games and there are some outstanding games that run natively on the headset, some of which give PC VR a run for the money.

Also there are source ports of HL1, RTCW, Doom 1,2, and 3, and the Quake Games which run great on the headsets.

From my experience on my new Quest Pro, it is overpriced as it stands currently as some of the features are not yet well supported, or a bit buggy, but it is by far the clearest, sharpest headset I have ever tried for PC VR - and it can do that wirelessly.

The controllers are finally a decent replacement for the CV1 controllers, and they track better than a three sensor CV1 or two lighthouse Steam VR setup, as it's very difficult to occlude them.

Ironically if you were to get a Quest 2 + Pro controllers + new headstrap you'd be looking at two thirds the price of a Pro anyway and would not have the amazing lenses and sharp microLED displays, or eye and face tracking.

I showed the Quest Pro to a friend of mine who is also a VR enthusiast with a Quest 1 & 2 who actually dabbles in VR development.

He thought it was the most comfortable, well balanced headset he's tried. He has a pretty large head, but it fitted him fine. He said it felt small and light by comparison with Quest 2.

He was astounded at the clarity, and how good 3D movies looked. I showed him Elite Dangerous and Lone Echo 2 running on Airlink and he thought it was a massive step up from what he's seen before. He was moving around in LE2 reading all the text he couldn't read at a distance before.

He thought the colour, depth correct passthrough was great, and played Cubism in passthrough mode for a bit and didn't want to stop playing!

I also demoed the eye and face tracking which again he thought was very cool.

Overall he was blown away by how good it was.

I also showed it to my daughter and on watching a bit of Avatar in 3D she said she now realised why I watch 3D movies in VR, as it's like being in a real theatre. She also loved Cubism in passthrough mode, and wanted to keep playing.

She said it was really comfortable for her and she liked using it without the blinders, as it was less claustrophobic.

That's a real positive that everyone seems to like the pro, just wondering what features you think will be cut back on the Quest 3 when its released, I'd imagine the number of camera's for a start, isn't it 16 on the pro, probably might be four on the quest 3, if we are lucky, I would guess a colour passthrough will be included, but wondering what else might be cut back on.

That's a real positive that everyone seems to like the pro, just wondering what features you think will be cut back on the Quest 3 when its released, I'd imagine the number of camera's for a start, isn't it 16 on the pro, probably might be four on the quest 3, if we are lucky, I would guess a colour passthrough will be included, but wondering what else might be cut back on.

Hopefully by then they may just ditch the gob tracking.

My guess based on the previous leaks is that Quest 3 will have pancake lenses, battery in the front, ship with the standard Quest 2 headstrap and be compatible with Quest 2 add-on straps.

It won't have eye and face tracking, but will have a colour passthrough camera so it can do MR like Pro.

It'll likely have the next gen XR3 chipset which will enable more advanced games and content

I think it'll ship with either Quest 2 controllers, or slightly updated ring based controllers that have the same haptics and thumb sensor as the Pro controllers. Maybe there will be an option with the Pro controllers too.

The big unknown is what panels it'll ship with. I imagine the MicroLED panels of the Pro could be too expensive.

@Ravenger A quick question. If something happened and you had to make a choice between keeping the Quest Pro with the Quest 2 controllers or the Quest 2 with the Quest Pro controllers which would you pick?

@Ravenger A quick question. If something happened and you had to make a choice between keeping the Quest Pro with the Quest 2 controllers or the Quest 2 with the Quest Pro controllers which would you pick?

I'd keep the Pro. It's just streets ahead in terms of clarity for PC VR and movie watching, plus the colour passthrough and MR are incredible.

If it were a native app only headset then I'd say it's not worth it over the Quest 2, at least not unless there are optimised Pro versions of apps.

More feedback on the Pro.

I watched Spiderman: No Way Home 3D in VR on the Pro last night. It looked amazing, incredibly sharp and detailed, though in the dark scenes the lens glow at the edges did distract a bit. This is minimised by getting the lenses closer and in the right position but I think local dimming is going to help with this when Meta enables it for all apps, or if the apps themselves implement it.

Also I'm very wary about fiddling with the headset position while I'm wearing glasses as I don't want to risk any scratches to either set of lenses, and the blinders make it awkward to wear glasses (why did meta design them like that?). So I'm looking forward to my new prescription lenses turning up.

The standout thing for me was the passthrough is now good enough for you to be able to walk around with the headset on, and I could easily go downstairs, get a drink from the fridge, go back upstairs and continue watching the film all without taking the headset off.

The battery was fully charged when I started the movie and lasted the entire duration of the film (2hr 28 min), though it was getting low at the end (< 10%). I do miss the 4hr battery life of my Quest 2 with battery headstrap.

Also I setup the link cable at 500mb/s yesterday evening and tried a variety of detailed VR games, including Skyrim, HL Alyx, Asgards Wrath and Lone Echo 2, and I couldn't really notice any compression issues. The image looked very sharp and detailed.

Skyrim did seem to run a bit worse in terms of framerate compared to Steam VR, but I think there are some performance tweaks I can use to get that better. It's not a very well optimised game, especially when you have 200+ mods! Here's hoping eye-tracked foveated rendering makes its way to PC VR on the Pro.

How much time do you get out of controller batteries, I use re-chargeable on the Quest 2 and with maybe one to two hours a day I probably get a few weeks, once it hits 20% level I get nagged and time to change.

Being an older guy in 60's its amazing to be able to experience VR though with a lessor headset than you guys.

Last edited:
How much time do you get out of controller batteries, I use re-chargeable on the Quest 2 and with maybe one to two hours a day I probably get a few weeks, once it hits 20% level I get nagged and time to change.

Being an older guy in 60's its amazing to be able to experience VR though with a lessor headset than you guys.
I haven't had the controllers run out of charge yet, mainly because when I charge the headset I also charge the controllers at the same time on the included charging dock. After watching a 2.5 hour long film the controllers were still over 80% charged.

I don't think battery life of the controllers is an issue, unless you actually forget to charge them. They'll always last longer than the headset if you stick them on charge whenever you charge the headset.

Nice to see someone playing VR who is older than I am (late 50's!).

Back
Top Bottom